Biodiesel going away?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I've been a splash mixer of BD since I got my TDIs, which have al CRs. I liked the extra lubricity of 2-5% BD. I generally get 5 gallons of B100 down in Cumberland, RI and use it over the course of 6 months or so. My last batch, though, as I got down to the last gallon or two I noticed some sort of whitish, cloudy contaminant that would settle to the bottom of my 2 quart container. I've been hesitant to put more BD into my CRs since then.
I would contact Malloy's and let them know about the contamination.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Because I go FEWER miles to get bio. I drive 100 miles (50 each way) to my bio retailer. That's usually when I'm doing errands in that direction anyway, so the true 'extra' milea are maybe 50. Say three times a year so between 150 and 300 miles on my car are spent getting fuel for the year. That does mean zero miles on my wife's car because I bring back her fuel to re-fill at home. How far is your preferred seller of fuel or additive? How many miles per year do you spend going there and back when you wouldn't usually?
like this?

After seeing inside dino diesel pumps, intakes, EGRs, turbos I swear I'll not use petrodiesel again. It's just too dirty with too much residue to be of long term use. Sure if your idea of a "lifetime" is just 100,000 miles D2 is probably OK, but I buy the worn out poor running D2 cars, clean 'em up, and then keep them clean on B99 and B100.
B99 pump price, road tax paid, is LESS than the prevailing D2 pump price here.
NOx is not to be discounted. It is a real issue. Some say it's higher, other studies show it to be lower, as the bio percent increases. Either way the amount of NOx is measured in PPM, whereas the amount of greenhouse gas from petrodiesel is measured in pounds per gallon, and there's no way around that fact. Claiming that a lower NOx justifies a thousandfold increase on other emissions is akin to claiming that because I re-cycle my coffee cup I can dump gallons of crank oil into drinking water supplies. Bio, depending on the source, can be just as detrimental to the environment as burning a fossil fuel, but from less destructive sources and production methods, can be greener than solar panel powered electric cars.

That acid/alkalai two step transesterification process, with methanol recovery, using locally sourced post-consumer waste is the production model my supplier uses. So if I come off as having a "greener-than-thou" attitude, I think it's justified.

well said and I was trying to find the reason why and you answered it,, you probably have a good source of bio by looking at that pic,,I have talked to several trusted tdi mechanics from this forum and they all have said the concern on IP related issues that they have to deal with on clients cars that have been usig Bio, so you must be an exception props to you,,,

My pumps on my 3 cars have gone over well above 100K with D2, one is actually at 260K, never pulled any of them for repairs,

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
well said and I was trying to find the reason why and you answered it,, you probably have a good source of bio by looking at that pic,,I have talked to several trusted tdi mechanics from this forum and they all have said the concern on IP related issues that they have to deal with on clients cars that have been usig Bio, so you must be an exception props to you,,,

My pumps on my 3 cars have gone over well above 100K with D2, one is actually at 260K, never pulled any of them for repairs,
There's biodiesel, then there's biodiesel. All of the fuel that I buy for our coop is certified to ASTM6751. Maybe the IPs that you have seen were running on home brew or, worse yet, straight WVO.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Well, clearly the EPA and CARB aren't on the fence about how damaging NOx is or isn't, as that's the only form of emissions in which VW was out of bounds with in regards to the current dieselgate scandal...

If only there was a discussion on how bad NOx is or isn't, then maybe VW would be allowed to slide a little and start selling TDIs again.

Though, whether or not it genuinely contributes to smog or not, it is also a "greenhouse gas" that is apparently 3 times worse than CO2 as far as climate change is concerned... So, make of that what you will.
Just to be clear, EPA and CARB acknowledge the weekend ozone effect (e.g., http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/weekendeffect/weekendeffect.htm ). Both have apparently made institutional decisions to address ground level ozone non-attainment issues mainly through NOx control, which is far less efficient than VOC controls.

Also, N2O, a greenhouse gas, is not considered NOx (NOx = NO + NO2).

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
There's biodiesel, then there's biodiesel. All of the fuel that I buy for our coop is certified to ASTM6751. Maybe the IPs that you have seen were running on home brew or, worse yet, straight WVO.
Yes, I agree, from what I've read & experiened BioD is a cleaner. I took tanks out of an 86 Ford F350 IDI 6.9. There was so much caked on old D2 in both tanks that I had to reach in and clean w a brillo pad. Same w my 84 Mecedes 300D. The screen was completely plugged w black goo from the years of dino fuel.

In my Massey Ferguson, my fuel bowl gasket was leaking this past Spring, I changed over to the B15 Love's blend & no leak!

BioDiesel Dan on YouTube says that BioD gets blamed for everything. I agree!

Dave

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I generally get 5 gallons of B100 down in Cumberland, RI and use it over the course of 6 months or so. My last batch, though, as I got down to the last gallon or two I noticed some sort of whitish, cloudy contaminant that would settle to the bottom of my 2 quart container.
How, and where, do you store the fuel? I use that same fuel (Newport Biodiesel B100, blended to B99 and retailed by TH Malloy) and have done so for years. I'll frequently have fuel for 6 ~ 8 months after I've pumped it, and for however long that took from Newport's production to Malloy's blending and storage up to my purchase date.

Biodiesel is hygroscopic. It will absorb moisture. The storage containers must be kept closed and with a minimum amount of air (head space) to keep the volume of air relative to the volume of fuel, as low as possible.
I'd suggest smaller containers to hold close to your additive amount. That way the container is opened once and there is only the mnimal amount of air (and humidity) available until then.

Keep the stored fuel cool and out of sunlight. Cooler temperatures slow the biologic growth of slime (aka: "algae"), and sunlight can penetrate through even opaque poly fuel jugs.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Bear in mind that most commercially available biodiesel in California is NOT made with virgin vegetable oils. It's almost always recycled waste cooking oil. And even pumps run on commercially available bio tend to get this nasty, sticky varnish to them. It's exceptionally common out here.

Now, when I lived in Michigan 10 years ago and was using B20 frequently from virgin soybean oil, it was a different story. It didn't smell as bad and never left a nasty varnish.

You know what's real crazy? I've been inside the pumps of a couple customers who run straight WVO, but are very meticulous about filtering, starting and purging on D2 before shutting back down. The insides of those pumps looked better than the cars I see running on California's commercially available FAME biodiesel.

Maybe it also has to do with the dense population here and some people may not drive all that often with decent public transportation alternatives. That certainly plays a role when you don't rack up the miles as quickly and the bio is allowed to absorb moisture and microbes allowed to grow while the car sits.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Matt,

A freind recently gave me an 83SD with a two tank Greasecar system. He was very religious about the start ups & shutdowns, that's good news on the WVO. The waste oil was filtered w a centrifuge filter.

Thanks,
Dave

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Hi Matt,

A freind recently gave me an 83SD with a two tank Greasecar system. He was very religious about the start ups & shutdowns, that's good news on the WVO. The waste oil was filtered w a centrifuge filter.

Thanks,
Dave
And old Mercedes is the ideal car to run such a system on. Inline pumps and IDI injectors with one big opening are not anywhere near as sensitive as rotary pumps and direct injection injectors with nearly microscopic multiple nozzle holes. Even running sub-par fuel, old Benz diesels are hard to kill.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, the SD is a project, needs a starter rebuilt, vac pump, full heat all the time, seats are shot, trunk or rear window leaks. I have it stored inside, till I get to it! I also have a supply of WVO on hand too!
Still working the bugs out of the Beetle!
Dave