Need Feed Back From TDi User ^.^

golf22669

Hi guy, I am planning to get a 2003 Golf TDi 1.9T and I have some questions. I Live In Canada ^_^

1.) Are there any problems with this car that I need to know?

2.) If i do get the car should I chip it??? If so which brand of chip should I go with and where to buy it in Toronto???

3.) What's the average 1/4 time with chip For the Gold TDi

Thank You ^.^

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
They are perfectly good cars if you want something that is very practical, fuel efficient, and has enough power to maintain normal highway speeds even up steep hills. If you want a race car, get something else. If you want a car that gets you around in comfort and without spending a whole lot on fuel, then the TDI is an excellent choice. Chipping will make it wear out faster, possibly very fast if you drive it hard all the time. I know they can be fairly fast cars with a few modifications, but honestly, what's the point? For a similar amount of money you can get something that will blow the doors off a chipped TDI. Going too fast is illegal anyway. You wouldn't want to break the law would you?

Parkboy

TDI
Golf 2002 silver
Put a zerostart on it for Canadian winters and your good. Why chip it? It isnt going to beatup on the gassers ever,so why try?? They have good getup and fuel usage is astronomical. Enjoy

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Golf22669, buy the car, drive it around for a little while and get used to the way it feels and enjoy the mileage. Visit TDIClub.com and read up on the almost infinite information here. Once you've begun to appreciate the vehicle for what it is (a peppy, fun-to-frive, economical car) then look into your options in the way of chipping/injectors/tuning boxes, etc. Then start ading things to the car to your heart's content.

And don't listen to the nay-sayers. If you attend some of the Toronto-area GTG's you'll have an opportunity to meet some people with some nice cars and maybe even get a ride or two in some very fast TDI's.

[ QUOTE ]
Why chip it? It isnt going to beatup on the gassers ever,so why try??

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like this person hasn't been in a chipped TDI, so how would they know? I've had quite a few stop-light battles with a variety of gassers and won many of them. I've also gone up against a Honda Prelude SH (210hp w/intake and exhaust work) from 110km to 190km and he couldn't pass me. Same deal with an Eagle Talon TSi (awd turbo w/200hp)up to 180km before he pulled over to the right lane to let me pass. And that's with a chip being the only power mod (many other mods done). These cars are great. You won't regret buying one.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure Ed's TDI is the fastest car on the road today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never stated or implied any such thing. I was simply stating that I have had my share of fun embarassing a few gassers with my modestly-upgraded, diesel-powered, 45mpg+ achieving car.

[ QUOTE ]
Why chip it? It isnt going to beatup on the gassers ever,so why try??

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in my earlier post, I have beaten quite a few gassers and given a couple of pretty high-powered cars a run for their money, as have many other members here.

Might I suggest that you choose your wording a bit better next time to better express your opinion instead of stating it as though it were an undisputed fact ?There are one or two members here that have done extensive (and expensive) mods to their cars and can and do "beat up on the gassers" and still achieve great mileage and reliability. Just because you choose not to do any performance modifications to your car (your choice, good for you) doesn't give you the right to condemn anyone else for choosing to modify their cars (their choice) and doesn't mean that it's an exercise in futility. Your opinion comes across as uninformed so don't be upset if someone decides to argue a different point of view.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haven't had the opportunity, yet. I know that I was neck and neck with a stock 1.8T until 110km/h, then he started to edge me out. This was from a complete stop at a light until we got onto the highway. He asked me what was under the hood so I told him. He just laughed and said he wouldn't have believed it if he didn't see it for himself.

tortdi

dude, i have this car . I get smoked by anything on the road - even my sister-in-law's 1995 Corsica with 300K can destroy it. Recently I was dusted by a hyundai accent!!
Also the car is a terrible winter car; nearly impossible to start and takes literally 10-15 kms of driving fast to warm it up. AND, in winter the touted fuel economy drops right off to that of any other small gas car - worse in fact than an Echo or Civic. Its engine is loud inside and out , not to mention it really stinks if left to idle....what else.....did i mention gutless?

In hindsight the 1.8T is a lot more fun without the headaches.

cw /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
[ QUOTE ]
dude, i have this car . I get smoked by anything on the road - even my sister-in-law's 1995 Corsica with 300K can destroy it. Recently I was dusted by a hyundai accent!!

cw /images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I bet you have a clogged intake or a bad MAF.

My car is chipped & injectorized & I can pull away from almost any STOCK gasser (exept my buddies STi). Of course there is no comparison with a chipped gasser, but for a few hundred $, you can drive a diesel car that gets wicked fuel mileage & still keep up with stock gassers. Its a nobrainer to me. If you want a race car, then buy one! But most people buy a TDI for the mileage, not the power. The ability to upgrade the power without comprimising fuel economy is an added bonus.

As for winter fuel being the same as gas cars in the winter, I still get 1000km to a tank and beleive me, I use my extra 35hp - 80ft/lbs from my mods. I loose about 150km per tank, but some of that is because of my winter tires too. I think only half the 150km loss can be attributed to the fuel.

TDA

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
[ QUOTE ]
Also the car is a terrible winter car; nearly impossible to start and takes literally 10-15 kms of driving fast to warm it up. AND, in winter the touted fuel economy drops right off to that of any other small gas car - worse in fact than an Echo or Civic. Its engine is loud inside and out , not to mention it really stinks if left to idle....what else.....did i mention gutless?

[/ QUOTE ]

BMW owners seem to get the most pissed off when they can't get past me. I'm sorry, but get in line for the on ramp like the rest of us. I'm not letting them in.

My properly maintained TDI starts in -25*C right away while the gassers are cranking for 5 seconds. Yes the fuel economy drops, but that's a function of the winterized fuel, not the car. As for the smell, well, that's a personal preference.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
<rant>
I've given more than a few a run for their money. Uphill, the TDI rules. A Mitsi Eclipse once tried to lose me (don't know which engine variant). Despite reaching speeds of 125 mph... he wasn't going anywhere. I was nipping at his heels through all his best efforts.

And... I couldn't agree more with the statement above about the impatient, aggressive, "I'm gonna cut you off and get in front of you", mentality. My philosophy? "Your next... right behind me"!!

While stopped at a light, I can't count how many times I have observed a car approaching in my mirror and they move over a lane so... they won't have to be bothered with me in front of him when the light turns green. My philosophy? If you want this lane, you are going to have to work for it... I was here first, as somebody always will be... You don't like it? Get used to it. You are NOT alone out here...
</rant>

P.S. Sorry for the temporary hijack... TDA just hit a nerve there /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TDA

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Maybe we should just answer the questions.
[ QUOTE ]
1.) Are there any problems with this car that I need to know?

[/ QUOTE ]
Clogging intakes and failing mass air flow sensors are common problems. Both have fixes which can be found here. Yay! I think the relay 109 and power window problems were fixed by 2003. I'm not so sure about the windows.
[ QUOTE ]

2.) If i do get the car should I chip it??? If so which brand of chip should I go with and where to buy it in Toronto???

[/ QUOTE ]
Upsolute is the only option in Toronto. Tazz does installations when he travels south for get-togethers. You'll have to ship out the ECU for the other chips. I went with larger injectors first and then a program to match them. I put the chip in myself, since I have the necessary skills.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing from memory because the search is down. 18s for stock. 17s for chipped. 16s for chip and injectors.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing from memory because the search is down. 18s for stock. 17s for chipped. 16s for chip and injectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, Gary ran a 15.9something with his modded TDI! But as mentioned before, if you want 1/4mile times, get a WRX STI with its 300hp & 300 ft/lbs. If you want a surprisingly quick car that drives & handles great & still gets 40+ mpg, then you can't go wrong with a TDI. If you would like to try a modded one, shoot me an e-mail and you can try mine.

golf22669

keke .. you guys are all very nice, especially Wingnut... I made up my mind... I am going to get a 2003 TDi... But do Upsolute make chip for a 100hp tdi because that's in the 2003 TDi??? I went to Upsolute wedsite and I only see 90hp TDi and 110hp TDi chips. And where did you get the chip from Wingnut???

Special Thanks To All Of You In This Forum ^__^

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The '03 TDI is not 100hp, if I'm not mistaken, but 90hp. It's not until '04 when the PD motor was introduced that the car has 100hp. There are lots of chip tuners for this motor. Upsolute, Wetterauer (Wett), Speed Tuning, Rocketchips. You can usually do a search here but apparently the search feature is down right now. Try using Google or some other search engine and look those names up for more info. Once you drive a chipped TDI, you won't want to go back!