Help - Fuel Pump Losing Prime

Zakadamsgt

TDI
1999 Golf
Hey all,

My 99 TDI Golf has been having fuel injection problems. I ran out of fuel in the car last year, and re-primed all the lines. Everything worked fine for 2-3 months, but recently there have been occasions (this morning :mad: ) where it won't start. I have to use a vaccum tool to re-supply fuel to the pump b/c there's no fuel leaving the fuel filter. After I prime the fuel pump, I loosen one of the injectors and crank the engine until diesel starts spraying out at the injector. Then I tighten it up and everything works.

Question - what could be causing this failure? It's periodic, but incredibly annoying. I hope it's not a fuel pump problem.

Thanks

Zach

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
fuel tank sending unit crack can cause such symptoms. the tee on the filter could be cracked or the O rings could be rotten. Air is leaking in and allowing fuel to drain back to the tank. I think.

Zakadamsgt

TDI
1999 Golf
cool, I replaced the T 2 years ago when I replaced the fuel filter. Maybe the o-rings are bad? shirt lifespan. The stealership wants $45 for the T and $45 for the filter. I can't imagine that the filter needs to be replaced.

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Take a look beneath the fuel injection pump distributor head. Is it wet? If fuel is leaking from the pump head seal it may also be sucking air into the pump. Here's your fix: Dieselgeek has a $10 fix complete with instructions.
http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=430
While you're at it, check the case pressure relief valve. This thread is pertinent: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=194607
Hope that helps.

Zakadamsgt said:
Hey all,

My 99 TDI Golf has been having fuel injection problems. I ran out of fuel in the car last year, and re-primed all the lines. Everything worked fine for 2-3 months, but recently there have been occasions (this morning :mad: ) where it won't start. I have to use a vaccum tool to re-supply fuel to the pump b/c there's no fuel leaving the fuel filter. After I prime the fuel pump, I loosen one of the injectors and crank the engine until diesel starts spraying out at the injector. Then I tighten it up and everything works.

Question - what could be causing this failure? It's periodic, but incredibly annoying. I hope it's not a fuel pump problem.

Thanks

Zach

Last edited: