Is an engine more valuable than a front clip?

Ghaniba

TDI
2000 Beetle, 2001 Golf (Gone but not forgotten)
I have a 2001 VW Golf, ALH, ~170k. This was a creampuff car we bought for my wife a few years back with 115k on it. We did an Eibach / Koni FSD suspension, fixed every bit of the car, did a timing belt all recent... Car needed nothing. Sold it to a buddy, a couple months later a drunk driver hit the back of the car, totaling it. The car itself isn't repairable, but the engine and driveline I basically know every bit of it's condition, and even did the oil changes on it while it was my buddies (maybe 2 in total even!?)

So, I bought it from his insurance since I knew the driveline and engine were still perfect, with thoughts of putting it into something, maybe a cherokee, maybe a ranger.

Well, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I just don't have time for that project, and maybe I should just let it go.

So, my question is this -- Is it better to pull the engine / trans now and scrap the body, and sell them, or should I simply just sell the whole car as is? It rolls, minus the drivers rear tire which currently sits about 90 degrees off...

If I pulled the engine, I'd be pulling all the ECU and wiring harnesses, etc, and probably take a video of it starting and running.

What are your thoughts? How much should I charge for either?

Dave aka Ghan

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
IF its a 5 speed there is more value in the conversion than anything else. If its an auto it will sell also.

engine you'll sit on for awhile, but it will sell eventually. Front clip is valuable but you could end up sitting on it for awhile too.

Its harder to "part out" a car than people think. You post that your parting it and folks nickle and dime you to death. ie do you have that trim piece? How much for the Maf? or they ask for stuff that commonly breaks like glove box or armrest.

Is is leather interior or heated seats?

Ghaniba

TDI
The car is a 5 speed.

I have no interest in parting out the car -- I was simply going to either pull the engine/trans & wiring, and offer up to anyone to come scavenge or just let it go as it sits.

What's a fair price for these two options?

Dave

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I am using my 2003 that was rear ended for a swap into another chassis (1.8T) that I found with a ruined engine. It was a GLS leather in very nice condition for $600.
If you have everything from the donor TDI as you have, it's not that difficult a project.
I would think the engine/transaxle would be worth more that the front clip as there are tons of gas cars out there for parts. Not so many TdIs.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Jettawreck is on the right track. Find a gasser wagon with a blown engine and swap it in.

Keep an eye out for other Jettas with front end damage and leave a phone number.

Ghaniba

TDI
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.

I considered doing a 'cool swap' like I did with a VW diesel into a Samurai. I'm not interested in starting that kind of project again, I'd rather be riding motorcycles for the next 6 months. :D

I currently drive an ALH with 220k and a fresh timing belt - so I am either going to sell the engine/ecu/wiring harness if I pull it, and keep the trans that I will probably need in the future, OR just let the whole thing go as is.

Which should I do? Would people rather have the whole car, or just a verified, pulled engine?

Dave aka Ghan

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
You will get more money to part out the good parts to us other ALH tdi'ers that are trying to keep our rides on the road. Engine(pump, turbo, head especially), Trans, Axles, Fenders, Doors(window regulators and lock mechanisms especially), bumpers, cup holder center console if it may have it, glove box, wiper motor and trans mechanism, anything that is common on our mkiv's to break.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
It's always worth more parted.

Wrecked parts car $500

Or

Engine $500
Trans $300
This$
That$ Etc

If you don't want to waste you're time parting it, sell it and I'm sure someone will. If you just want to part the power train and scrap the rest, I would leave it in the car so it can be shown running. I'm weary of buying a driveway tarped engine, even with a video. Then again, I currently have a lawn ornament 1.8t wagon with no doors, interior, hood, fenders etc. Want a 1.8t? Runs....

Scrap yard would pay about $400 for the car complete. I have $1200 and a manual swap (traded for the interior) out of it already and I can still drive it around the yard. My fast likes to keep light!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
To me it sounds like you are better off selling it complete. Like bmali said, people will be more likely to buy an engine that they can see running.