2wd toyota tdi?

Frog187

TDI
still searching
My name is Matthew and I have been lurking around for about two years. Reading about the swaps and the great work being done by all the posters. Well i'm almost ready to pick-up a vehicle, sorta collecting the money to for a 86-95 2wd short bed toyota truck. I read many of the threads including: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142679 and all the toyota threads but they are for 4x4's. They usually just run bigger tires to get the gearing down, but I don't really have the option.

While searching the internet I came across this site: http://www.precisiongear.com/toy8.htm and they have a 3.54 final (3.5439-11TOY/354)

I was just wondering could I run this with a tdi with the acme adapter kit and that r&p? Yes I know that acme doesn't make motor mounts, luckly I have a friend who owes me about 3 hours of welding who can take care of that.

For the motor I was thinking of either alh or 1z/ahu if I get can get the wiring harness or get a MTdi pump from Giles (I hear and read he does very good work).

Thanks for any help.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I am finishing up a swap into a 2wd with a 1.6TD here: http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,48503.0.html

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=48503.0;attach=112798;image

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?action=dlattach;topic=48503.0;attach=113022;image

I think a 2wd is a much better choice unless you are building it for wheeling. The 4wd weighs so much more and the oversize tires really kill the MPG and power. As far as gearing goes, look for an axle or 3rd member from a 4-speed, there is a factory 3.07 and 3.2? that would bring your rpm's down. Try to avoid taller tires to keep your MPG and power.

Last edited:

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Check out Toyotadiesel.com

I did a Suzuki Sidekick / TDI swap, it cost $8000. I had the Sidekick when I started.

I'm in the middle of a 1KZ swap. I will have bought the 4runner AND half cut truck for over $1000 less than the TDI swap. Overall a much cheaper swap, and the engine is better suited to the truck.

Just a thought...

Spulen81

Veteran Member
$8k, wow! Depends on how you do it I guess. I spent less than 1/2 of that including the truck, TDI swap, new wheels/tires, performance stuff and alot more.

Frog187

TDI
still searching
thanks

Thanks for the responses, I'm reading rockwell's post right now but I can only read it at home.

To Mannytranny: I have checked out toyotadiesel but that site is mostly or when I was reading through it was mostly about the toyota diesel swap. Also 8k seems was to high for a 2wd swap, from what I have priced it could be done around 4k.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
mannytranny said:
Check out Toyotadiesel.com

I did a Suzuki Sidekick / TDI swap, it cost $8000. I had the Sidekick when I started.

I'm in the middle of a 1KZ swap. I will have bought the 4runner AND half cut truck for over $1000 less than the TDI swap. Overall a much cheaper swap, and the engine is better suited to the truck.

Just a thought...
Nice screen name. I didn't know I had competition. :D

Good luck with this project. I would like to know if anyone has tried finding bigger tires for the toyota that aren't big mud off-road things. If you can find something that isn't for stomping through mud, you might be able to retain your economy. Some of the MKIV owners have increased tire size significantly without increasing the weight very much, and have noticed little to no difference in mpg.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
manual_tranny said:
Nice screen name. I didn't know I had competition. :D

Good luck with this project. I would like to know if anyone has tried finding bigger tires for the toyota that aren't big mud off-road things. If you can find something that isn't for stomping through mud, you might be able to retain your economy. Some of the MKIV owners have increased tire size significantly without increasing the weight very much, and have noticed little to no difference in mpg.
it would depend on the intentions of the truck. I've been into wheeling for years, so I appreciate big tires. I think my toyota is ugly with the stock 25" tires, it would look better with 35's for sure but 10" would be a huge hit on economy and power. How much bigger have you seen on a MKIV? If Frog187 is building it for the street the stock tires will give the best power/economy but can go bigger for looks but will cost him MGP.
The curb weight of the toyota is about 500 lbs LESS then a jetta so it should be a blast to drive

Frog187

TDI
still searching
for street

I do plan on making this for the street, i'm looking now for a vehicle now especially if I can find one without an engine. Mainly to keep the price down, and to get it moving quicker. I'm lucky to have someone who can help out with the stuff I don't know and can weld. Street tires will be a must, I don't really want this to go off road.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Frog187 said:
I do plan on making this for the street, i'm looking now for a vehicle now especially if I can find one without an engine. Mainly to keep the price down, and to get it moving quicker. I'm lucky to have someone who can help out with the stuff I don't know and can weld. Street tires will be a must, I don't really want this to go off road.
I would recommend a AHU, it has the steel oil pan and aft oil pump. You are going to have to modify the oil pan in order to clear the steering linkage or go with a big body lift, the steel oil pan is easy to modify. You are also going to have to move the engine forward a few inches for firewall clearence for the heater hose and exhaust. The install is really pretty strait forward. I am looking forward to how yours comes out, I would have gone with the TDI if I knew better, I had the 1.6TD laying around so what was the way to go for me. The one thing I like about the 1.6TD is the sound, it sounds like a F350. Love that clatter and turbo spool up

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Rockwell said:
it would depend on the intentions of the truck. I've been into wheeling for years, so I appreciate big tires. I think my toyota is ugly with the stock 25" tires, it would look better with 35's for sure but 10" would be a huge hit on economy and power. How much bigger have you seen on a MKIV? If Frog187 is building it for the street the stock tires will give the best power/economy but can go bigger for looks but will cost him MGP.
The curb weight of the toyota is about 500 lbs LESS then a jetta so it should be a blast to drive
I'm not talking 10" increase in tire size. The MKIV can wedge a 28" diameter tire, I think it is 215/75r15 or something like this. It doesn't weigh much more (2-3 lbs) and forum members claim their mpg is the same. (when calculated vs. gps I assume, otherwise it would be better mpg which is unlikely) I'm talking about tires designed for "on/off-road" which means, mostly on road. Seriously, I'm not proposing mud tires.

Think General Grabber AT 2 31X10.5R15. 30.8" diameter, 678 revs per mile. At 42lbs, it is a little heavy, but it is probably less than half the weight of a 35" and is a long lasting (and somewhat efficient) tire.

Last edited: