Rant!!! Outside rearview mirrors

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just pulled the Passat in the garage. While walking inside, brushed the left rearview mirror just enough to slightly flex it at the hinge. Out popped the European asymmetrical mirror glass to the concrete floor, shattering it.

Moral of the story? If your mirror glass is original, make sure that it is glued securely to the heated backing plate. If you find it loose, pop it free and reglue with some silicone sealer/glue. If not, it WILL depart the car. My passenger side fell off last year while going down the interstate.

Now I've gotta find someone that still carries the $100+ asymmetrical mirror. I'm too used to it to go back to the normal mirror.

Steve777

Veteran Member
I've had similar experience with my 97. I did not even have to brush into the mirror, just shutting the door was enough to separate the mirror glass from the backing plate; end of mirror.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Thats too bad. Im extremely fortunate as last year my passenger side fell off while going 55mph down the highway. It left a small ding in the rear door as it flew loose. I went back up the road and there it lay. with nothing but a mere scratch on it. Siliconed it back on.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
I was power washing a friends Astro van that had been sitting for a few year and blew the drivers side mirror glass out of its holder. Good thing he has a sense of humor.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Aging B4's = PITA / I lost a good mirror as well.

Lost my multi-plane aftermarket mirror on the driver side that fell off on my last trip up to central washington state.

After that lesson I used Barge Cement on the right side and on the el-cheapo replacement mirror for the left side. The cement will outlast the car.

I miss the extended visual range the old mirror provided. I too wish to find a suitable replacement.

JB.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The hinge mechanism isn't there to save the glass from popping out, it's to save the pedestrian.

Be aware that the adhesive you use will add some thermal insulation between the grid and the glass. Silicone sealant is an excellent thermal insulator.
If it comes to having heated glass that falls off (only one of mine so far), or slow to heat glass that stays on, well.... I'll take the unheated glass, thank you.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Bruce,
Sorry to hear about the mishap.

If you happen to find a source for B4 Aspherical mirrors, please post it! I have them on the wife's A5 and would love to have them on my B4!

Tony

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
RuneTDI said:
good to know. thanks, tj. any way to check if they're working or not?
You mean besides touching them on a cold day? ;) If the element is burned out, it will set a code that VCDS will read.

Jackbear

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Charcoal
Good Point

Lug_Nut said:
T
Be aware that the adhesive you use will add some thermal insulation between the grid and the glass. Silicone sealant is an excellent thermal insulator.
Lug Nut = you still know your old B4's. What is going to happen when they get so old as to be retired. Your knowledge base will have to update. How are you with late model TDI's? For myself I think I will have to keep my B4V till I stop driving in 20+ yrs. for I really am not looking forward to learning anew on another car.

AMEN to your comment on silicon adhesive. That is why I use ONLY Barge brand contact cement in re gluing outside mirrors. Not only does it stick firmer as it ages over the years it is a fair conductor of heat and so little is used as to diminish any insulating effect.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Out of curiosity, did all B4's come with heated mirrors from factory? Not like I'd notice here in SoCal, but again I'm just curious.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The TDI's did, as did the GLX. I don't know if the 2.0 GLS in '95 did or not.

Some foggy morning, breathe on the mirrors to condense moisture on the cold glass. Turn on the rear defogger and see if the mirrors clear faster than expected.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owr084 said:
If the element is burned out, it will set a code that VCDS will read.
Not on B4's! The bulk of the electrical system is rather stupid! Actually, I kinda like the old school electrical systems. MUCH easier to deal with!

On the A5's, it might. I just haven't burned one out yet, nor used them more than once or twice.

Tony

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Yeah that happened to me also. Bought the whole assembly for $25 from local junk yard, used a heat gun to get it off. Then epoxied it on.

paramedick said:
Just pulled the Passat in the garage. While walking inside, brushed the left rearview mirror just enough to slightly flex it at the hinge. Out popped the European asymmetrical mirror glass to the concrete floor, shattering it.

Moral of the story? If your mirror glass is original, make sure that it is glued securely to the heated backing plate. If you find it loose, pop it free and reglue with some silicone sealer/glue. If not, it WILL depart the car. My passenger side fell off last year while going down the interstate.

Now I've gotta find someone that still carries the $100+ asymmetrical mirror. I'm too used to it to go back to the normal mirror.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
For those interested in the left aspherical mirror for the B4.

357 857 521C. Hillside Imports ordered it for me last time. ECS Tuning can order it, looks like it take a month to receive.

EDITED For clarity

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Chris,
Thanks for posting the PN!

Bruce,
Yes, let us know. If possible, I would be interested in a group buy.

Tony

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Before we get too carried away, someone might want to check my work and double check the number. I got it on vagcat.

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
Last week I had the same problem where the passenger’s side glass just fell off. Of course it instantly shattered into about 15 pieces. So today I went to the junkyard and luckily they had four 95/96 passat's. I can see by the carnage this must be a common problem but they had one passenger and one driver side (spare just in case). I am sure you all know this but the glass with the plastic backing support will pop out with a good tug/pry.

Part numbers are 357 857 522b for the passenger and 357 857 521 b for the driver. Both have the heating element.

Including admission, i spent a total of $15 for both. I am not sure what the dealer would charge but you may want to make a trip to you local junkyard on this one.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Paramedick,
Did you ever get an answer from hillside?

I just remembered that I inquired, shortly after I posted earlier in this thread, and have not heard back. Too much other stuff going on!

Tony

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
TonyJetta said:
Paramedick,
Did you ever get an answer from hillside?

I just remembered that I inquired, shortly after I posted earlier in this thread, and have not heard back. Too much other stuff going on!

Tony
Yup, but not Hillside. They never bothered calling back.

I've not ordered anything. I stuck a spare stock mirror on the driver's side.

OEMPlus quoted $180 for both mirrors, with a 4 week lead time.

Worldimpex quotes 3 week lead time:

IMPEX SKU: 1815341
ITEM: MIRROR GLASS
COST: $35.00 ea
SUBTOTAL: $35.00

QTY: 1
IMPEX SKU: 228345
ITEM: MIRROR
COST: $121.27 ea
SUBTOTAL: $121.27

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
paramedick said:
For those interested in the left aspherical mirror for the B4.

357 857 521C. Hillside Imports ordered it for me last time. ECS Tuning can order it, looks like it take a month to receive.

EDITED For clarity
Aaron (Bora Parts) got me one a few months ago.