Phase 1 (fixed) "New" 2015 Mileage thread

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I wanted to start this thread to give people who have recently purchased "new" "fixed" 2015's to see what their mileage experience is.

Lets try to limit the discussions to tank mileage, not what your readout is on a single long stretch. And it will be helpful if you also "do the math", meaning divide your tank driven miles by the actual amount of fuel you pump in. And to not rely on the car's mileage computer.

If you've previously owned a TDI, let us know so we know if you're an "experienced" TDI driver, or if you're learning the ropes.

Like most mileage threads, try to include what kind of driving you've done. (city, highway and % of each).

Ok, there.. Is that enough rules??

This should answer a lot of questions people have about the fix.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
If you check on Fuelly, there are 154 2015 Jetta TDIs, which are averaging 41 mpg at the moment. Pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see where that average goes in the future.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I took a road trip from D.C. To South Jersey yesterday 249 miles round trip MFD showed 63-65 MPG entire trip A/C On and 70-75 most of the time....and no interest here to purchase this car, they would rather spend list -5K for a 2 + year old car that's been sitting for 2 years! Wow just Wow!

moorsb

TDI
2015 Passat
I just did a trip in my new Passat SE TDI from Florida to Texas 43 mpg. 75-80 mph with A/C 875 mile trip each way. I noticed the MFD computer show a better avg number like 50.3 and I reset the computer and is seems more inline with the actual fuel used.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I just filled my newly-purchased 2015 GSW for the first time this afternoon. The optimistic MFD stated 56.3 mpg, while actual was 52.9 mpg.

602.6 miles traveled
11.398 gallons refilled
52.87 mpg

Thrilled to crack 50 on the first tank with the DSG. This was 95% highway driving at ~65 mph using common sense economy driving techniques.

NebraskaTDI

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
I've been averaging 41.2 in mixed driving over about 500 miles. On one short (50 mile) highway trip, I-80, about 75-80 mph, got 50.2. Short 'city only' seems to be about 37mpg. Got one of those 'new' 2 yr old 2015 Golf TDIs they just put up for sale.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I did a Birmingham AL to Atlanta and back trip this weekend in the Passat. It was 90% highway, with lots of stop and go in Atlanta on surface streets. It was right at 1/2 tank when I got back, and on Sunday we did the church, Costco, shopping errands, and today I filled it up with 452 miles when the guage was reading 3/8 tank.

City driving seems to average 34-35 according to the read out, so I wasn't surprised that It dropped quickly below half tank on Sunday.

I filled it FULL (until I actually saw liquid fuel at the top of the filler neck), which took 9.49 gallons. 47.62 MPG.

I now wish that I had filled it as soon as I got back to Birmingham, just to see what my true highway mileage was.

Early next month I'll be driving Birmingham to Denver, and cant wait to go across the Flatlands of Kansas and eastern Colorado.

I figure if I can drive conservatively and use my hyper miling skills (I use the pedal on, lift, lift, lift- pedal on) technique where I give it fuel, then coast for 2-3 seconds on long straight stretches. That I can get 55 mpg. with 18 gallons that's 990 miles on a tank.

I know it's early in the engine's life, but I'll try to knock out a 1000 mile tank.

I'll post pictures of my intermediate progress, and include the clock and fuel guage in the picture to validate that I'm not stopping and adding fuel.

Last edited:

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
If you check on Fuelly, there are 154 2015 Jetta TDIs, which are averaging 41 mpg at the moment. Pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see where that average goes in the future.
Yep. I see that. I am interested in the ones that have undergone the phase 1 part of the fix in an effort to see if there's any change (good or bad) to the mileage.

Thanks.

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I have just received the Phase I fix on my 2015 sportwagen I bought new 11-SEP-2015, currently at just under 20K miles.

Past lifetime average consumption is about 56mpg.
Past highway trip ave consumption is about 67mpg.

First use of the car after the fix was highway ave consumption 72mpg.

These are all instrument panel figures.

Post fix part 1:

- idle sounds smoother, may be about 30-40 rpm faster
- engine performance feels the same
- regeneration used to be "long" (few minutes) occurring once or twice per tank, post fix-1 I think it is doing short ones (about 15 seconds) about every hour of driving
- overall the car seems to "like" the fix part 1, as if it suddenly advanced through the break-in period.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I have just received the Phase I fix on my 2015 sportwagen I bought new 11-SEP-2015, currently at just under 20K miles.

Post fix part 1:

- regeneration used to be "long" (few minutes) occurring once or twice per tank, post fix-1 I think it is doing short ones (about 15 seconds) about every hour of driving
- overall the car seems to "like" the fix part 1, as if it suddenly advanced through the break-in period.
Great info in your detailed post

Thx :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just did fill-up number two on mine. 600.5 miles, 11.213 gal, for 53.55 mpg. Averaging 53.2 since new and obviously not even close to broken in. I am pleasantly surprised at how much better this DSG GSW is doing than my DSG NMS and my 6M MkIV PD did. This thing is sipping fuel like my B4V did. It's a keeper! :)

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI

Post fix part 1:

Don't think that is quite true about the regens as my 2015 (still in the first tank and 800kms in has had two now, both as I was finishing my drive. I had to sit in the driveway for 10 min each time as it finished. That being said it would be shorter if I was driving but not 15sec more like 5-8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
758 miles on tank.

I drove Birmingham, Al to Denver this week.
The Passat had less than 1000 miles on it, so the engine is still very tight and not broken in.
Day 1. --- 758 miles. 15.58 gallons. 48.6 mpg.
Strangely enough the fuel guage came off full after 40 miles, and showed a range of 30 miles with low fuel light glowing when I filled up. I filled until I saw liquid and it only took 15.58 gallons. So did I have 2.5 gallons left?
Im going to get the sending unit checked.
The readout showed an average of 52.1, but real math showed 48.6.
I took it easy on day 1, using Cruise at 65 mph. Trying to break it in nicely. Day 2 of trip showed a lower mpg, but that was 75 mph across Kansas and Colorado plains, and some Denver stop and go.
So, on the way home Im debating buying a 2 gallon gas can and keeping it ready, and running until it starts to sputter. I honestly have to know if the guage shows empty with 2 gallons remining, or if its off.
Overall, the Passat is a great road car. And even at altitude, it doesnt lack power when needed.
I would have had better day 1 mpg, but i took a shortcut across a non interstate part of Missouri. Lots and lots of hills. I should have stayed on the interstate.
Is it wrong to be disappointed that I "only" got 758 miles on a tank? :)

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jerry, I think they build in a ~2 gallon reserve at 0 miles range on the instrument display. Case in point is that on both my first tanks I drove to ~0 miles range, still had half the red zone left on the needle, and refilled around 11.3 gallons on the 13.2 gallon tank in the GSW. Looks like VW is trying to get you to keep a couple of gallons in the tank to protect the pump.

TDI
On my 3rd TDI currently a 15 Passat TDI just released after the stop sale.
New 15 Passat tdi

I detect a slight change in the milage figures, have car 6 days and my daily commute is 140. Mostly highway 60mph. At first I was in shock I was getting 40 mpg but discovered I was looking at the MFD 2 (total running time) not MFD 1 the actual trip. Figures are close to my previous 15 Passat which is about to be turned in (currently parked). Got appointment within 4 days of submitting paperwork.

Weather does impact mpg outside temps not above 70's in New England this past week, so looking forward to higher mpg once it turns up. Best I got on my previous 15 was 67 mpg one night 2 years ago.

So far so good.

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
Found a new 2015 Jetta SEL 6M Wed, and picked it up yesterday with <50 miles on it. Topped it off to clear fuel in the fill neck right before departing, and after I got home.

Result: 52.27mpg: 559.3 miles, 10.7 gallons used. average speed of 65mph, limited AC. MFD indicated 59mpg average

gauge:
7/8 at 199 miles driven
6/8 at 275 miles driven
5/8 at 373 miles driven
4/8 at 463 miles driven thru refuel point of 559.3 miles

assuming a 15.5 gallon tank, the remaining 4.8gallons would have yielded me only 250 miles at the same mpg, despite the gauge still being on half. So much for a linear fuel gauge.

If VW has it set to indicate Empty with 2gallons left, using 2.8 more gallons / 146 miles would have cleared the second half of the gauge.

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Found a new 2015 Jetta SEL 6M Wed, and picked it up yesterday with <50 miles on it. Topped it off to clear fuel in the fill neck right before departing, and after I got home.

Result: 52.27mpg: 559.3 miles, 10.7 gallons used. average speed of 65mph, limited AC. MFD indicated 59mpg average

...snip...
Thanks for your info:)

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................

[/QUOTE.

You are off to an impressive start 'bird...............

..............I say this knowing you've got a 'green' (as in not fully broken-in TDI!!

Can't beat the TDI/6M drive train for fuel numbers......(and it will just get better).

all the best hombre

ez

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
y2kbird

35 years ago I stopped topping off my 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton van. Not sure, but think it had about a 28(?) gallon tank, and only got 12-ish MPG.

I hyper filled it one time, and had approx 3+ more gallons in after the first automatic pump cut off.

...then it dumped a load of gasoline on cement, 3 foot wide, 8-9 long. :eek:

...sure it was more than 1 gallon.

... loss of $$$$s was a concern--- real fear of fire was the quintessential issue; especially if you fill then go straight to your home garage. We had a gas water heater with pilot light in garage area

... thoughts anyone?

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Thoughts? Here's one.........

....hopefully your gas water heater garage installation reflected - even in earlier times - the 18" above grade code requirement..................

ez

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thoughts? Here's one.........

....hopefully your gas water heater garage installation reflected - even in earlier times - the 18" above grade code requirement..................

ez
Thanks

We are up to code, I'm sure as we have replaced the water tank twice, in the last 43 years, living here, by licensed contractors.

By my own volition, I might cram fill my TDi when going on a trip. Trying to judge the amount to over fill it. But filling to go straight to the garage, I will go to the first pump automatic cut off point, then one more single squirt.

Close enough for government work :D:):D:)

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
Does anyone have a guess of what my mileage would have been in a DSG? Reason I ask is I am looking at a 2nd 2015 for my wife. DSG is more prevalent plus she hasn't mastered driving a manual yet. As far as my taking a risk by filling to the brim--old habit from the Tdiclub monthly mileage spreadsheets. Diesel does not have the flash point as unleaded vapors. A big spill in the garage would be a nuisance more than a fire hazard. I have tested these clear fuel in filler neck fills a block from home and parked it. never had any leak or spray out when I unscrew the cap the next morning. Since the tank is plastic, I suppose if there was a huge rise in outside air temperature between filling it up and storing the car there would be some expansion or higher pressure. If VW can only allow for a 95% fill though, maybe they account for it somehow other than the tiny amount the fuel filler neck holds.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone have a guess of what my mileage would have been in a DSG?
My DSG is doing slightly better than your 6M, but that is likely due to different driving style. I typically drive 60-65 mph (5-10 over posted limit).

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone have a guess of what my mileage would have been in a DSG? Reason I ask is I am looking at a 2nd 2015 for my wife. DSG is more prevalent plus she hasn't mastered driving a manual yet. ..... snip......

IMO...

Driving habits will be the factor.

My city-town is satisfying at mid 40s -- and a lot of it is very short hops -- with multi red lights and stop signs

RichF

TDI
2015 Golf SEL Manual Platinum Gray Metallic
2 fill ups first 37.4 MPG Computer said 43.5
second 44.1 MPG Computer said 46.9
Its obvious the MFI us useless
mixed long island driving

Last edited:

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Does anyone have a guess of what my mileage would have been in a DSG? Reason I ask is I am looking at a 2nd 2015 for my wife. DSG is more prevalent plus she hasn't mastered driving a manual yet. As far as my taking a risk by filling to the brim--old habit from the Tdiclub monthly mileage spreadsheets. Diesel does not have the flash point as unleaded vapors. A big spill in the garage would be a nuisance more than a fire hazard. I have tested these clear fuel in filler neck fills a block from home and parked it. never had any leak or spray out when I unscrew the cap the next morning. Since the tank is plastic, I suppose if there was a huge rise in outside air temperature between filling it up and storing the car there would be some expansion or higher pressure. If VW can only allow for a 95% fill though, maybe they account for it somehow other than the tiny amount the fuel filler neck holds.

(DSG) I haven't fill the tank yet so take this for what it is, but I am 920kms (570mi) into it and so far my avg. Hwy is 4.6 L/100 (51mpg) with 300kms (185mi) to go. When I do city I get anywhere from 4.8-8.0L/100 (49mpg-29mpg) as it varies from low to high traffic. This is still the same rank that my dealer filled for me so it has a huge amount of idle time as they installed phase 1, when I drove home it had 90 km on the tank and 15hr of run time so I think my next tank will be much better.

As long as the numbers from the computer are legit I am really happy, even if they are of 5mpg I still think it's awesome.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Not trying to highjack the thread and just reminding everyone the MFI mileage can be recalibrated via VCDS. I am consistently within .1-.2 mpg calculator versus display at every fill-up. '14 Passat DSG and "unfixed", ~120k miles 44.xx mpg avg.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Not trying to highjack the thread and just reminding everyone the MFI mileage can be recalibrated via VCDS. I am consistently within .1-.2 mpg calculator versus display at every fill-up. '14 Passat DSG and "unfixed", ~120k miles 44.xx mpg avg.

Good to know thanks. I did not need this on the Jetta as it was within .05 of a L but I could need it for the Passat.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cost? Other info to help this really uninformed guy. Would be nice to have it "spot" on.

Thx:)