Seventh-generation VW Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is that really that big a price increase? I thought that MKVI Golfs with HIDs and Nav were pretty close to that number.

I think the 1.8T would be a nice car. For me the 5 speed would be fine. I like the six-speed but now that I have one it's not a huge deal.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Ya it's a big price increase considering HID lights (bi-xenon with multi media pack) is 2200 dollars MORE.....so now you have a 33,200 dollars Golf +1695 in freight and pdi + 13 percent taxes in canada anyways. Basically you are stroking a cheque for a few bucks under 40 k to get into the loaded car this year!,,,,,,,!,,

Maybe you don't find that pricy.....but I do!

:confused:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
What happened to the cost savings in MQB and the move to Mexico ??

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The stock holders will appreciate it!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Is that really that big a price increase? I thought that MKVI Golfs with HIDs and Nav were pretty close to that number.

I think the 1.8T would be a nice car. For me the 5 speed would be fine. I like the six-speed but now that I have one it's not a huge deal.
The Trendline is actually a better deal than the Mk VI trendline. It comes standard with alloys (only 15" but 16" and up wheels are highly overrated), price is $1500 less than the Mk VI that has steelies, and it has a much better and more fuel efficient 1.8T engine vs 2.5 AND, the TDI is now available in the trendline though the upcharge is significant. I haven't seen the specs yet on the Trendline to see if there's any decontenting elsewhere, but I suspect it's better equipped.

FWIW, my Mk VI, 6-MT with nav, in 2011, was over $30k.

I'm seriously considering trading my Mk VI highline TDI for a Mk VII trendline, eventually.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What happened to the cost savings in MQB and the move to Mexico ??
The key word here is cost. It's pretty well known that margins on the MKV and VI cars were lousy, in part because of their complexity, but for the Golf it was also the cost of producing them in Germany. I'm sure VW moved production to Mexico to gain back some profit margin. That of course doesn't translate to lower prices for us.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I'm thinking about getting a Mk7 Golf.

Does anyone know what options come standard on the different models? Doesn't seem to be on their website.

I would probably get a Trendline TDI Automatic, unless there's some compelling reason to get a more expensive one.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Has anyone any information as to the IRS? Will we get IRS on the TDI and other Golfs or just the GTD/GTI? As a cost cutting measure.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Golf TDI has a beam axle with trailing arm rear suspension like MKIV cars, not true IRS like the MKVI cars. We saw this at the Detroit show. This wouldn't keep me from a new Golf: I really don't have any issue with the trailing arm suspension.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The multi-link IRS is on everything else, though, all the way down to the base 1.8T, it seems.

The trailing arm twist beam appears to be used on the TDI due to the urea tank.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
you are kidding...they are charging a premium buck (TDI) and giving us the trailing arm suspension? wow,,,,shame....

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I have an engineering friend who says beam axles are far superior to IRS because it can hold camber better. I can't fathom his reasoning and I point out that an F150 uses what he thinks is superior to what a Bugatti has.

Do I have a problem with what I have in my MKIV or with standard beam axles like what the MKVI Jetta has? Absolutely not, but to say its far superior than IRS is ridiculous.

I know I am simplifying the definitions a lot, but only for the sake of argument.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Tell your friend to stop driving through potholes. As posted above, I think the beam axle with trailing arms works fine for street use, and isn't even that bad on the track. The MKVI Jetta sedan beam axle works OK, too, but is hardly high performance.

Seems there's lots of whining about VW's pricing in this thread. If you don't like VW's pricing, take a look at what BMW and Audi diesels cost.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The Bank of Canada consumer price index is 16% higher now than it was in 2004.

This would mean that my car, which was $28,000 in 2004 should cost $32,480 in 2014.

The "fully loaded" highline is about that price. My "fully loaded" GLS probably doesn't have half the features.

I think my car would be more comparable to the mid-range model now, which is around $27,000 in Canada. (Comfortline)

The Golf is a better deal now.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Tell your friend to stop driving through potholes. As posted above, I think the beam axle with trailing arms works fine for street use, and isn't even that bad on the track. The MKVI Jetta sedan beam axle works OK, too, but is hardly high performance.
HAHA, he gave up claiming that it can maintain camber. Obviously with my car I was able to prove that my set up can maintain true camber over 50k miles. His argument is when the body rolls, the camber from a beam axle will be more true than with IRS.

He views our MKIV setup as a giant anti-roll bar that supports the wheels. Itll hold camber just fine in droop and jounce, but the wheels are going to be about the same angle (slightly more angled due to component deflection) as the body when in roll.

FreezingInSask

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK6 TDI
Ya it's a big price increase considering HID lights (bi-xenon with multi media pack) is 2200 dollars MORE.....so now you have a 33,200 dollars Golf +1695 in freight and pdi + 13 percent taxes in canada anyways. Basically you are stroking a cheque for a few bucks under 40 k to get into the loaded car this year!,,,,,,,!,,
Maybe you don't find that pricy.....but I do!
:confused:

I've got a fully loaded unit on order for under 35000 taxes,freight, pdi all in. Now I understand thats still not cheap, but I didn't think it was to crazy

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
My 09 SEL stickered at 29xxx as I have the original window sticker. Throw in navi and you had a 31k dollar JSW back in 09. I don't see much of an issue to get a newer car with hid headlights and other gizmos that my car still doesn't have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
Here is a little breakdown of what's standard on the MkVII. Doesn't look too shabby:

February 13, 2014

TO: All Volkswagen Dealers

ATTENTION: Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers

SUBJECT: Introducing the all-new 2015 7th Generation Golf and Golf GTI

We are thrilled to announce the arrival of the eagerly anticipated Canadian pricing, packaging, standard and optional equipment for the all-new seventh generation Golf and Golf GTI, launching this spring as 2015 models. As the first Volkswagen branded models riding on the new MQB platform, the Golf and Golf GTI herald the arrival of a host of new and innovative features to the market. The dynamic driving experience, engineering precision and attention to detail that you have come to expect from previous generations remain but are accompanied with advanced new features and an improved value story that we cannot wait to share with you!
Available key features on the all-new 2015 Golf and Golf GTI:

 All new engine family (1.8 TSI – 170 hp)(2.0 TDI – 150 hp)(2.0 TSI – 210 hp)
 5.8 inch Full-colour, touch-screen Infotainment system with proximity sensor
 Multi-collision braking
 Driver Profile Selection
 Automatic High Beam Control
 ESC “Sport Mode”
 Interior Ambient Lighting
 Fender-branded premium audio
 LED front fog lights
 Panorama tilt/slide sunroof

Simply put, the all-new 2015 Golf and Golf GTI represent a landmark in the compact class with features normally found in luxury vehicles now available in the compact class.

2015 Golf Line-up

We are proud to announce that the all-new 2015 Golf will enter the market with a starting MSRP of only $18,995!
However, the Golf 3 door Trendline is anything but basic, offering a long list of new features for 2015:

 1.8 TSI engine
 Alloy wheels
 Bluetooth
 MDI
 Sirius/XM Satellite Radio
 Trip Computer

Despite the addition of almost $1,000 in additional equipment, the MSRP drops by just under $1,000 versus the outgoing model! This represents almost $2,000 in additional value for the customer.

The value story further improves on the 5 door Trendline, which receives all the 3 door
equipment plus:

 Heated front seats
 Heated windshield washer nozzles

Most importantly, despite adding all these new standard features, the MSRP of the 5
door Trendline has dropped by almost $1,500 versus the outgoing 2013 model to only
$19,995! Again, this represents $2,845 in additional value for your customers! New for
2015, the TDI Clean Diesel engine is available on the Trendline trim with pricing starting
at only $23,095 with the standard 6 speed manual transmission.

The 5 door Comfortline trim adds several new comfort and convenience enhancements
for 2015 including:

 16 inch alloy wheels
 Rear view camera
 Fog lights
 Leatherette seats

Despite the addition of almost $1,500 in additional standard equipment, the price of the
1.8 TSI Comfortline is lower than the outgoing 2013 model and starts at only $22,895!
The TDI Clean Diesel model starts at only $25,395.

The Comfortline model can be further customized with the addition of 2 new option
packages for 2015:
Convenience Package: Auto Headlights, Auto-dimming rear view mirror, Panorama tilt/slide sunroof, Automatic High Beam Control, Climatronic
Multi-media Package: Navigation, Fender-branded premium audio, Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRL’s and AFS

The top-line 5 door Golf Highline features a wealth of new luxury features for 2015,
many of which are new to the Golf line-up:

 KESSY
 12 way power driver’s seat (8 way power adjustment plus 4 way power lumbar)
 Auto Headlights
 Auto-dimming rear view mirror
 Rain sensing windshield wipers
 Ambient interior lighting

With a starting price of only $28,495 with the 1.8 TSI engine, the Golf Highline
nonetheless represents an improved value story from the outgoing 2013 model. The
TDI Clean Diesel model starts at only $30,995.
In addition, the Highline model can be customized with the addition of the Multi-media
Package, including Navigation, Fender-branded premium audio, Bi-Xenon headlights
with LED DRL’s and AFS.

2015 Golf GTI Line-up

The all-new 2015 Golf GTI represents yet another mile-stone for this iconic model and the launch of a more powerful, 210 hp 2.0 TSI engine with an astounding 258 lb. ft. of torque!

While the added performance will amaze your senses, your practical side will be equally impressed by the improved value story of the 2015 Golf GTI. Despite the addition of a long list of standard features, we are pleased to announce that the starting MSRP of the all-new Golf GTI is only $27,995!

This represents a price drop of almost $1,400 versus the outgoing 2013 model!

The 2015 Golf GTI line-up starts with the 3 door model and includes the following new items as standard equipment:

 Top Sport Seats with newly designed “Clark” cloth trim
 5.8 inch touch-screen Infotainment system with proximity sensor
 Driver Profile Select
 Direct Steering
 Interior Ambient Lighting
 ESP “Sport” mode
 17 inch “Brooklyn” alloy wheels

Again, we are proud to announce that the 3 door Golf GTI will be priced from only $27,995 with the standard 6 speed manual transmission.

Owners can further customize their 3 door Golf GTI by adding the optional Sport Package with the following equipment: Panoramic tilt/slide sunroof, 18 inch “Austin” alloy wheels, Auto-dimming rear view mirror, Auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, Automatic High Beam Control.

The performance and value story improves further with the addition of a 3 and 5 door Autobahn trim to the 2015 Golf GTI line-up. These new top-line Golf GTI trims include a host of additional features, combining outstanding looks with comfort and convenience items. Added equipment includes:

 Fender-branded premium audio
 Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRL’s and AFS
 LED front fog lights
 18 inch “Austin” alloy wheels
 KESSY
 Rear View Camera
 Auto headlights
 Auto-dimming rear view mirror
 Rain-sensing windshield wipers

Priced from only $31,995 for the 3 door and only $32,895 for the 5 door, the Autobahn models are the pinnacle of performance and style, all wrapped up in a practical package.

Of course, it is possible to further outfit a Golf GTI Autobahn with 2 option packages available for order. The Technology package adds the convenience of navigation to the standard 5.8 inch infortainment system. The Leather Package adds Top Sport Seats with Vienna Leather trim and, on the 5 door model, the added luxury of a 12 way power driver’s seat. In addition, for the 2015 model year, it is possible to order the Technology and Leather packages either separately or in combination – the choice is yours.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I would say that the Trendline 5-door 1.8T at just a hair under $20k is a hell of a package. It has basically everything I would want in a car except maybe for a sunroof. Really seriously thinking about it... a new Mk VII with 4-5 years of warranty, vs. my Mk VI which is at 109k km and who knows what the future holds in expensive repairs for the TDI: HPFP, DPF, etc. Now that I'm semi-retired I don't really need a TDI especially since the 1.8T runs on RUG and on the highway, 5.6 L/100 km vs 4.6 for my TDI makes it pretty hard to justify the hefty premium for a TDI.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks like some great options for Canada. I sure wish VWoA would follow suit and give us those same options.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Has VW replaced the RNS-315 radio nav unit yet? That is one thing that will keep me out of any VW. While the nav is moderately ok, the radio is terrible. I refuse to give up my HD radio!

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Looks like some great options for Canada. I sure wish VWoA would follow suit and give us those same options.
I see no reason that the U.S. Golf will be any different, but then again we are dealing with VWofA. More color choices would also be welcomed.
Give me a two door or it's a no sale for this Golfer.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Has VW replaced the RNS-315 radio nav unit yet? That is one thing that will keep me out of any VW. While the nav is moderately ok, the radio is terrible. I refuse to give up my HD radio!
The Mk7 systems are completely new.

No idea what they've actually got, but it's not the RNS-315, that's for sure.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The Mk7 systems are completely new.

No idea what they've actually got, but it's not the RNS-315, that's for sure.
Yippee! Looking forward to see what the new one is like.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I have the RNS-315 in my Golf. It works reasonably well, good value for the money, sort of. I'm not a big audiophile so the radio works OK for me.

That said however, I don't think I'll ever bother getting another nav unit in a car. VW wants an extortionate price to update the maps; somewhere around two hundred bucks. I can't imagine it will be any cheaper with a new unit. There are a number of new roads and interchanges here in Quebec that require updating.

The way to go is smartphone. Cheap, always up-to-date maps. If you need a bigger screen, an iPad mini would probably work OK.

I know the in-dash integration looks better, but it's not worth the cost IMHO.

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
Multi-collision Braking?? I would think No-collision Braking would be preferable.

BTW, is there a list of standard equipment available anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.