Passat Intercooler Icing?

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I have heard folks on here talk about intercooler icing on the other TDIs, but I haven't heard anything on the icing in the Passat TDI's? Can they ice up too?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
No they have an air to water intercooler which solves the problem .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No they have an air to water intercooler which solves the problem .

*which hasn't shown to be a problem last winter and hopfully there won't be a problem this winter. With a completly different emissions sytem than the jettas, it shouldn't be an issue, but knock on wood!

The IC issue was first documented here winter of 2010, where as the CEBA engine had a year plus of service before it was noticed.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
Low and high pressure.

-J
High pressure EGR is the one that scares me, for it is the one that is exposed to soot and high temperatures. Is it used very much in the Passat, since it has Urea? Is it cooled? Does it require cleaning?

Thanks for the very fast response!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The high pressure EGR hasn't been an issue on TDIs for a while. Also remember that the CR engines make less soot (before the DPF) than the prior motors.

-J

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
The high pressure EGR hasn't been an issue on TDIs for a while. Also remember that the CR engines make less soot (before the DPF) than the prior motors.

-J
Ok. Thanks for the info. Understand that I am used to dealing with Cummins 6.7L EGR.:eek:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
and ULSD reduced that issue across the board since 2007