MN Chat Thread

Efchou

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6spd
Thanks to JFettig, my 09 TDI is now Malone tuned! Pulls like a dream, and Jon was a pleasure to work with! Thanks so much :)

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
LSD won't stop both wheels from spinning.
Spinning is not winning.

These fancy tunes work with or disable traction control?

Bragging rights around spinning in 2nd gear is cool and all, but id expect to see a tune softened in the low end until the tires can hold without massive driver intervention. This possible with the tdi tuning?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Of course spinning is not winning. I have some general exclaim UHP(cheap summer tires) and it doesn't spin much.

Find the traction control button on your 01 TDI and I'll make sure it works ;)

Yes, easy to change the maps to limit torque on the low end, actually that's how I do the big turbo(w/ big fuel) tunes to help prevent rod failure on a stock bottom end.
Depending on the setup we try to make it flatline at or below 300ft-lbs with stock rods. most of the time if the peak torque is before 2500rpm, we'll taper it in to 2300-2500rpm depending on the setup.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I don't think any TDI came with it until at least 04 if I remember correctly.

On another note, does anyone have or know someone who has a new Passat? I have a set of monster mats for one.

mimalmo

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT
Was next to a very nice black TDI Passat wagon this morning in Richfield. Tinted windows, wheels, drop. Very sharp car. Sound like anyone on here?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
There was no traction control on our cars, ESP was an option on the '03's, I've thought about adding it. but figured it wasn't worth it. and I filled my blank button with a inside/outside temp gauge.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
There was no traction control on our cars, ESP was an option on the '03's, I've thought about adding it. but figured it wasn't worth it. and I filled my blank button with a inside/outside temp gauge.
ahh. figured there was something that was supposed to go there.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
LSD won't stop both wheels from spinning.
Well with my 246ft-lb torque and 205/55/16 decent all season radials I am hard pressed to spin on clean dry pavement. Oh yes today in the rain they break loose alright. My clutch won't slip so it is a question of cumulative friction of both tires.

And X2 on the nice torque steer near complete elimination. I should have done this mod long ago.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I know I said I would be moving back to Minnesota over a year ago. That was just before the GTG in St. joe last year. I met alot of you there, I was the one driving the black 4dr golf TDI from Texas. I now have a 2002 jetta wagon since I sold the golf this summer.

I should close on the house by Thanksgiving and should be moved up there by spring. (lots of back and forth between now and then as the house needs some work and I need to sell my business here now.)

I will be right on 65 between Mora and Cambridge, closer to Mora.

Look forward to meeting more TDI club members from the area and making new friends.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Looking forward to living out in the sticks. For the last 20 years I have lived near the big city of Dallas with a firestation 2 blocks away and train tracks 2 blocks the other direction, right on one of the busiest intersections in my town. Looking forward to some peace and quiet.

During the winter months do they clear 65 fairly often when it snows?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
During the winter months do they clear 65 fairly often when it snows?
South of Cambridge? yes, probably.

North of Cambridge? Don't know, maybe not.

Last winter was my first Minnesota winter in 29 years. And we never really had a winter last year -- the Saint Paul Winter Carnival was canceled, the snowmobile and sled dog races were all canceled, ice fishing was canceled for all the really foolhardy. The ski areas never really got going -- every time they started to make snow, it turned to slush.

It was a warm, dry winter. The dry spell is now in its 13th or 14th month.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I already installed ASR (P.I.A. on a 2002) during my build project when I got the wagon because I knew I would end up there pretty soon. I also picked up a set of Avus wheels to mount winter tires on so I can swap out my monte carlos when the snow starts to fall.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
^^ these guys are spot on. South of Cambridge, consider hwy65 an interstate with A LOT of lights. :rolleyes: They still keep it clear north up to Mora though.

I recommend running your summer tires for the first snow just so you can appreciate how much of a difference snow tires can make not only in pulling from a dead stop but more importantly stopping.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I will have to wait until I am actually there to get the snow tires, I wish I could post pictures of the look on the salesmen's faces here when I ask if they can order snow tires.

From forum recommendations I wil most likely go with blizzaks.

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
I will have to wait until I am actually there to get the snow tires, I wish I could post pictures of the look on the salesmen's faces here when I ask if they can order snow tires.

From forum recommendations I wil most likely go with blizzaks.
I would try general altimax artics.