GMARK'S Spring GTG- April 19th

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
TDIers far and near:

We're hosting our fourth-annual Spring GTG at our home near Johnstown, Ohio on Saturday, April, 19th. Official start time will be 0800 hrs. End time:??? Lunch served at noon. Directions/address provided upon request (send PM).

More details to follow soon. Hope to see you here! ;)

Happy Dieseling

G

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Got it writ in blood! Hope to make it this time.
JohnD

Griz419

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
I've never been to a GTG and I've tried searching to see what goes on and can't find the answer, so I'll ask.

Are they just a social event to chat/meet other people who might understand why diesel is better than platinum, or understand that mpg's are calculated to tenths if not hundreths? And you don't have to try hard to get the topic of discussion back to diesel, because it is the only thing worth discussing in these troubled times?

Or, is there work done. I've been putting off having my intake & egr cleaning off for a little and am debating paying someone to do it, because it's cold and I don't have a heated garage.

A little of both, depends on which one, do you need to bring stuff, pay admission?

Thanks,
Aaron

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Aaron,

(feels like I'm talking to myself LOL)

the answer to your questions are basically YES.

this GTG is a big social, and also a big Wrenching GTG. Come hungry and bring something to share. (or a nice donation for the host/hostess)

many of the members there will know way more than you will ever want to know and can talk your ear off if you care to listen.

doing an intake cleaning is definately a possibility at this one.
if you do plan to do an intake cleaning, get the kit with the gaskets & o-rings and bolts from dieselgeek (I think he sells the kit) and have it on hand.

GMARK will have the bucket of solvent for cleaning your manifold with.

if you don't feel comfortable doing the intake removal/reinstall yourself, ask one of the gurus if they are willing to do the removal/reinstall and if they would have any charge for the service. (by PM is best)

To guarantee a spot in the garage, it's best to get there early. altho if the weather is nice, removing an intake is no big deal outside the garage. (better lighting)

I know I plan on doing a full Pad & Rotor replacement & fluid flush on my golf.
might do the Mufflerectomy as well while i'm in the garage.

I would expect that Bruce (Paramedick) and Glen (MoGolf) will be at this GTG.
You can PM them to see for sure if they are booked.

I also have some experience removing & reinstalling intakes on the ALH & AHU and would be willing to lend a hand after I finish up my car. I tend to keep myself busy throughout the day at this one because its fun for me.

best advice, come prepared with all replacement parts, and bring a chair.
its a long day thats worth the trip.

Aaron

Griz419 said:
I've never been to a GTG and I've tried searching to see what goes on and can't find the answer, so I'll ask.

Are they just a social event to chat/meet other people who might understand why diesel is better than platinum, or understand that mpg's are calculated to tenths if not hundreths? And you don't have to try hard to get the topic of discussion back to diesel, because it is the only thing worth discussing in these troubled times?

Or, is there work done. I've been putting off having my intake & egr cleaning off for a little and am debating paying someone to do it, because it's cold and I don't have a heated garage.

A little of both, depends on which one, do you need to bring stuff, pay admission?

Thanks,
Aaron

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL Reflex Silver 5 speed. Ventectomy, coolant migration mod, Hella Comets, FK air ducts.
Griz,

Growler (aka "the other Aaron) covered it pretty well. An intake/EGR cleaning will be no problem. Just have the parts that you need when you get here. We always have plenty of knowledgeable people here and many will even lend a hand or offer good advice to help you.

Our Central-Ohio TDI group is very active and this is usually our biggest yearly event.

It's a great way to meet other owners, learn more about your car, and get involved!

G

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Do you have interior space to work/hang out? Not needing anything done,just wondering in case weather sucks.It'll be almost my 1 yr. anniversary of getting chipped in Marysville!! I think it's almost a 6-7 hr drive for me.I'll see as date gets closer.

Griz419

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
Thanks for the replies. Clears it up pretty good and sounds like fun. I'll see what's going on that weekend.

A2A3

TDI
'99 A3 Jetta '98 A3 Jetta '97 B4V Passat
Hi Mark,

Count me in as a maybe. I 'd love to come, between the demolition (careful with that axe Eugene) and the weather last fall, it's got to go down in the almanacs as one of the all time great gtg's. And then I got SO LOST getting out of there in the dark and rain/fog. I couldn't even find my way back to your place. But my intake was clean! Thanks for the help Eric! Also Bruce & Glen w/the timing.

I'm coming up on TB time, +/- 8000 to go, so if any gurus would be willing to provide CLOSE supervision I'll do the work. (A3/1Z jetta) Also water pump, as this will be TB #3 and it's still got the original pump.

Will be great to see all you south/central Ohio folks again before TDIFest.
btw, GOOD WORK PEOPLE!!!!! I'll update around April 1 if it looks like I'll be able to make it (or not.) Right now I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow. But hey, that's why we have weekends!

Phil

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
Phil,

I don't think we could out-do last August's GTG for "entertainment" value! ;) That being said, I don't have another carcass to demolish, and I hope we can get through this one without the tornado sirens going off. :D

Mark

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
GTG Update

So far, the worklist is as follows:

1 Passat brake bleed
2 complete brake jobs
1 TB job (with supervision) (MK III Jetta)
1 possible glowplug harness (MK IV Jetta ALH)
4-6 door latch mechanisms
1 possible intake cleaning (MK IV Golf ALH)
1 full EGR cooler removal (MK IV Jetta PD)
Please let me know what you want to do to your car, and remember- garage space (2 bays) is first-come, first served! Let's hope for good weather so we can get some of the simpler things done outside. ;)

Mark

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
you can knock off one of those complete brake jobs mark.

I will have to do mine before the date of the GTG as my brakes are starting to sound like a school bus when I back out of the garage in the morning...

altho I will most likely wait for the GTG to do the fluid flush.

oh well the light on the dash has been on since September? October ish, whenever the GTG in Springfield was.

at least I get my $$ this friday so I can order parts.

Yay! I get to spend more time on OTHER peoples cars and not my own!

gonna be a great GTG!

Aaron

mcroth

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
I'll try to make it too, it's only about 1.5 hours from me. If I do come, I'd probably like to do an intake cleaning too. I have an 02 Jetta.

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
mcroth said:
I'll try to make it too, it's only about 1.5 hours from me. If I do come, I'd probably like to do an intake cleaning too. I have an 02 Jetta.
Intake cleaning, no problem. C'mon down!

G

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'll definitely be there... complete with food. And a digital camera, in case there's any "klingons." ;) Oh, and some basic tools, in case everyone else's tools are in use. :)

I'll stay off the worklist, being a traitor and all. ;)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Nah, I'll wait until this motor craps out.

Besides, the last motor swap I had done at his place, the car kept coming back, months later. It seemed to have grown attached to his garage... :p

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
you guys need a place to crash? Jason, Mark, Matt?

might check with toof too if needed

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI
Id love a place to crash. It depends on if the girl is coming or not. If she is then il just drive to and from the same day. Otherwise, any place to crash would be greatly appriciated.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I am going to try and make it to this GTG. April should be pretty good timing for me, hopefully.

GMARK

Veteran Member
TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
I am going to try and make it to this GTG. April should be pretty good timing for me, hopefully.
Hope you can make it. I have at least one other person from the metro-DC area who is interested in coming. ;)

G

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Less than 3 weeks to go bump.Would like to make it-I'll know closer to date-if I do decide it's a go-I think I'll bring a fuel filter and hope somebody would be able to watch me do it.

jettalee

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta
Hey All!

Bill and I are trying to keep the calendar clear so we can make it to the GTG. We'd love some help with a headlight change (passenger side) and fuel filter.

God bless,
Lee Ann