Steering wheel off-center after height adjustment

HEATHKIT

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I was fiddling around the steering wheel height/telescoping adjustment on the weekend to find a more comfortable position. On the next day I noticed that the steering was off for about 2 to 3 minutes. I went on a long drive on Sunday and on long straight stretches I had to hold my steering wheel slightly to the left to keep the car straight. The car itself does not pull towards any direction, and my tires pressures are well balanced.

I went to the dealership and they said that there is no way I can mess up the steering by adjusting the steering wheel position. They claim that I will have to pay for an alignment to get it straightened up again. Is this correct or I should try to go to another dealership?

What I also notice with my steering wheel is that it lucks up quite easily. Usually after insert the key and with the slightest movement on the steering wheel I can cause it to luck up. It usually doesn’t take very much to get the steering wheel free again once I twist the key and start up the car. Is this a sign that there is something wrong with the car?

I drive a 2002 GLS TDI with 78K Km, bought off the dealer when the car has 72K.

Please help.

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
my steering whell is canted to the left ( slightly ) when I'm on a straight stretch. All they have to do is remove it and place it on the appropriate spline ?? If I'm wrong someone plse correct me.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If you've ever had your steering wheel off the car (either because the airbags went off, or the switches in the stalk needing service), it's possible that they put it back on one tooth off. Otherwise, it's an alignment issue.

Heathkit: The steering wheel locking up is fairly normal for a VW, I'm afraid...

In any case, an occasional wheel alignment can't hurt, unless the folks performing it don't know what they're doing - as was the case with my original dealership...

Find a GOOD tire/suspension shop and have them do the job...

Yuri.