Class Action Suit.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So I have bee thinking about new flooring in my house and have been wondering how to finance it and after reading posts here, I figured it out! A Class action suit.

Hmmm I wonder what would be the most profitable for me? Oil? Turbos? Plastic belly covers? Sunroof drains that don't drain? Exhaust system components?

How about going after oil companies for not providing oil for 1% of the cars on the road of ULSD for all the oil burners in the country?

Heck, I may be able to get the body work done on my truck with all the money I could make.

Who's with me!? LET'S GO! C'MON! OOOOOOOOOOOO!

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta
Ah yes, the good old American way of making money, well second to winning the lottery and selling drugs. Why work for a living when you can sue McDonalds for serving you hot coffee? or better yet, sue them for serving food that is not exactly healthy. While were at it lets get Wal-Mart to stop selling guns and ammunition because its a well known fact that guns kill people. I must me stupid for working 50 hours a week to provide for my wife and I. I should be out looking for someone to sue. Then I could buy a nice big house and fill it full of over priced crap from Pottery Barn. I could also get a hug SUV that gets less then 10 miles to the gallon.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Hey, give doggie a break; this is his first foray into trolling

Good job, doggie! Caught a fish already

PS: just joshin you. I know you know he's trollin.'

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
Hey Dog, I'm thinking "hand brake elbow", "Looking for other TDI's neck strain" and "Cronic Bladder Pain from thinking you can out-do a car that goes 700+ miles without stopping"

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Dog, I'm thinking "hand brake elbow", "Looking for hotties in other TDI's neck strain" and "Cronic Bladder Pain from thinking you can out-do a car that goes 700+ miles without stopping"
Just one, small correction there.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What about sore-butt-itis or even folks who have STARVED from not having to stop for fuel? That's VWs fault for sure.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
What about marital strife?

"Can we stop at the next rest area? I gotta use the bathroom."

"Can't you hold it???? We stopped only 4 hours ago, and the fuel gauge is still on full..."

[Insert sounds of a male being beaten into submission...]

dsclark

Veteran Member
Why work for a living when you can sue McDonalds for serving you hot coffee? or better yet, sue them for serving food that is not exactly healthy.
If you actually READ the details of the laweuit, then you'd realize that McDonalds got exactly what was coming to them.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Why work for a living when you can sue McDonalds for serving you hot coffee? or better yet, sue them for serving food that is not exactly healthy.
If you actually READ the details of the laweuit, then you'd realize that McDonalds got exactly what was coming to them.
What are the details?

Unless the employee spilled the coffee on the person on purpose or accident, McDonald's doesn't owe anyone a dime.

Hot coffee is hot.

dsclark

Veteran Member
Do you remember the Ford Pinto? The car that blew up when rear ended? Why should Ford be responsible for what happens if someone is burned alive in one of their cars? After all, Ford wasn't the one that rear ended the poor schmuck, right?
Ford KNEW that this was a problem. In a rear end collision, the bumper would be pushed into the gastank, the tank would be punctured, and gas would leak into the passenger compartment. This happened often and Ford would settle out of court for damages. These injuries could have been prevented if Ford spent an extra $2 to install a plastic protective baffle. However, the bean counters at Ford figured it was cheaper to payoff burn victims than to spend a couple of extra bucks per car. In court, this got Ford punitive damages. If you knowingly produce a dangerous product, then you can be liable for compensatroy and punitive damages.
McDonald's did just that. They produced coffee much hotter than is safe. It had nothing to do with taste; coffee should never be made that hot- it kills the flavor.
The elements of a tort are:
1) Duty owed
2) Breach of duty owed
3) Causation
4) Damages
All elements of a tort must be met for a person to be compensated. That is why McDonalds had to pay for damages. Punitives were also ordered up because McDonalds has known for some time that excessively high temp of their coffee was causing 3rd degree burns on numerous occassions. Contrary to what you here, Punitives are not awarded to make the plaintiff feel like they hit the jackpot, rather, they are ordered to punish the defendent. Insurance is prohibited by law for paying out for punitives.In rare instances, individuals can also be liable for criminal punsihment. That is what happened to executives at Beechnut when they knowingly sold sugar water as vitamin enriched apple juice for babies.Another example of punitive damages is the case agains SCE made famous by the movie "Erin Brokavich".
Here's a summary of the McDonalds lawsuit.Mind you, the woman merely wanted her meds paid for.

.) For years, McDonald's were aware they had a problem with the way they make their coffee -- that their coffee was served much hotter than the industry standard by at least 20 degrees. In fact, they knew its coffee sometimes caused serious injuries -- more than 700 incidents of scalding coffee burns in the past decade have been settled by the Corporation. Yet they never so much as consulted a burn expert regarding the issue. It has been said that serving coffee this hot reduces the amount of coffee a restaurant has to make in a day and optimizes taste. Therefore, they make more money.

2.) A McDonald's quality assurance manager testified in the case that the Corporation was aware of the risk of serving dangerously hot coffee and had no plans to either turn down the heat or to post warning about the possibility of severe burns, even though most customers wouldn't think it was possible.

3.) The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills. Her injuries were serious -- third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay. In all, she was burned over six percent of her body.

4.) The woman was sitting in the passenger seat of a car driven by her grandson. They went through a drive through, then he pulled to a stop out of the way of the next car behind them so she could open the coffee. It was then, in a stopped car, that the coffee spilled. One myth of this case is that she was driving the car and tried to open the coffee while the car was moving. And, finally,

5.) A report in Liability Week, September 29, 1997, indicated that Kathleen Gilliam, 73, suffered first degree burns when a cup of coffee spilled onto her lap. Reports also indicate that McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20 degrees or more hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability to the victims for many months, and in some cases, years.

So going back to the discussion on Trainorders, I pointed out a few of these "McFacts" to the fellow who brought this case up. I made the good argument that there are things about our system of justice that needs work. But before you start naming case after case off as proof of this, do your homework. Of course, he didn't name case after case off to prove his point. He named this one. After I made the closing argument, so to speak, he wrote back, "If you put a cup in your lap, holding it with your legs, and drive off, hitting bumps along the way, the liquid contained within is likely to spill." Which means that he was listening.

In closing, do your homework, too. Don't believe everything you hear on TV, on radio, in print or on the internet. Leno may make good jokes about this, Limbaugh may get all sweaty and riled up and some guy hacking away at a computer in South Carolina may try his best to be Dennis Miller. But it doesn't mean it's so. If you do, you may end up thinking Al Gore invented the internet, cigarettes don't cause cancer and that a little old woman somewhere won 2.7 million dollars from McDonalds from something that was her fault in the first place.

By the way, the jury awarded her punitive damages of 2.7 million. The judge, however, lowered the dollar amount to just under $500,000. Something else that hasn't been reported widely.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now. Former: 00 Jetta, 01 NB
Give me a friggin break.

Just because the 'industry' serves coffee 20 degrees lower makes it right? What? Hot water at 165 will not burn? So if I was foolish enough to put 165 degree coffee between my legs and I burn my family jewels, then I shouldn't be suing? For crying out loud, I put the coffee there, I put myself at risk, NOT McDonalds. I shouldn't be suing PERIOD.

Americans should start taking responsibility for our own stupidity instead of always blaming someout else.

To make coffee, you need to boil water. Boiling water at ANY temperature is dangerous, you do not put it between your legs.

dsclark

Veteran Member
"Give me a friggin break.

Just because the 'industry' serves coffee 20 degrees lower makes it right? What? Hot water at 165 will not burn? So if I was foolish enough to put 165 degree coffee between my legs and I burn my family jewels, then I shouldn't be suing? For crying out loud, I put the coffee there, I put myself at risk, NOT McDonalds. I shouldn't be suing PERIOD.

Americans should start taking responsibility for our own stupidity instead of always blaming someout else.

To make coffee, you need to boil water. Boiling water at ANY temperature is dangerous, you do not put it between your legs."
Stupidity is posting an opinion of a lawsuit without knowing what a tort is. In the MacDonald suit, all elements of a tort were in place. Can you argue that they weren't? Armchair legal opinions won't cut it.
Also, not all boiling water is dangerous. The temperature required to boil water is dependent on altitude. Hopefully your knowledge of chemistry didn't come from the same place you gain your legal knowledge.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Any what altitude would that be?

My argument is not about meeting the requirements for tort. Its about having too many lawyers, screwed up legal system, and Americans that just can't accept responsibility.

Do you have any technicalities to argue that? I guess you'll find something...

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL - Platinum Grey
Stupidity is posting an opinion of a lawsuit without knowing what a tort is. In the MacDonald suit, all elements of a tort were in place. Can you argue that they weren't? Armchair legal opinions won't cut it.

Also, not all boiling water is dangerous. The temperature required to boil water is dependent on altitude. Hopefully your knowledge of chemistry didn't come from the same place you gain your legal knowledge.
Zing!

And just for the record you DO NOT need to boil water for coffee. Optimal brewing temperature is 200F. That isn't boiling.

Moreover, coffee is typically served around 140F. The McDonald's coffee was 180F. Big difference. At this temperature, a liquid can cause 3rd degree burns in 2 to 7 seconds.

That's not a safe product.

You can ***** about lawyers all day long, but shooting off your mouth while lacking a clue just makes you look like an ass.

VR6nTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
So you're saying its safe to pour 140 degree liquid all over yourself?

Have you even read what I'm saying? I'm not arguing the legality or merits of the suit. The point was, that even if this woman spilled Starbucks coffee at 140 degrees, would she have been burned? Would she have sued? You bet she would. And that's the problem. The coffee comes in a cup, to be held by hands, not the crotch. It was her stupidity. She should have been nominated for the Darwin awards. Not win a suit. This is my last post, life's too short to waste in a fruitless argument like this.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I like when my pointless posts get hijacked into silly things like this. It's fun to watch.

OJ was guilty, BTW... anyone wanna comment?

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
It is really amusing when a lot of people get together and start talking about class action lawsuits.

I find this post to be very amusing. Amusing that is, as if I had gone to the circus and seen a group of clowns do their tricks.

I do applaud your vivid imagination and your keen sense of legal knowhow.

However, your query has no standing, makes no sense and is based on "heresay"....

I would really like to know the meathead attorney that took that case on contingency.

dsclark

Veteran Member
Remember, litigation is a two way street. Heard of the Wendy's finger story?
We now know that the the woman who made the story up is not going to sue Wendy's (under our tort system, if she found a finger, there are grounds). Why?
She has a history of lawsuits which hurts her credibility. Wendy's is investigating like you wouldn't believe and it may turn out that the woman got the finger and planted it in the chili.
If this turns out to be the case, count on Wendy's suing the woman for many millions of $. Count on it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
LIke the Wendy's Finger Lady, he could sue me, but I don't have enough money to make it worth his while.

Of course with the Finger lady Wendys should to sue her if it turns out she lied.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Moreover, I bet the police in her city are SERIOUSLY investigating how in the heck she came into ownership of a human finger! Did she murder someone? Did she work at a butcher's where someone had an accident? I bet the authorities are all over her history...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I heard today that a Lady in Las Wages has contacted authorities that she lost the tip of her finger in some kind of accident and thinks that it may be hers since the Hospital can't figure out what happened to it.

I'm sure the National Enquirerer will get to the bottom of it.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I just ordered up an extra helping of Wendy's chili. Yummy.

"Finger-lickin' good."