03b Jetta TDI 5th gear

Redspider97

TDI
03 Jetta tdi silver
Hi I'm new to this forum and I just bought this 03 Jetta TDI silver.
I am having a 5th gear issue. It will not go into 5th gear the rpms just go up. I found out yesterday though that if I put into 5th gear while sitting still it will go into 5th and move. I adjusted linkage per diesel geek. Had fluid changed but he put in 140 so I changed it out and put in factory they gave me gl 52. what else oh I changed out the shift tower on trans because it stopped going up and down on it's on and lock pin was messed up..I changed the side to side washer as well..u bought a short shifter but didn't put it on yet. Please help!

Redspider97

TDI
03 Jetta tdi silver
03 Jetta tdi

I changed that one.. d Greek told me to try that... It seems like it's a lot of play in the stick but I'm not for sure..I pushed on the cables through the hole in front of the shifter and either don't seem loose. Oh if I need to change 5th gear are there only 2 gears? I did a Google search and some dealers have 2 some have 4... Oh and when I first put it in 5th while sitting still it did nothing but if I go back neutral then 4th and then 5th(while sitting still) it will move. So I tried shifting from 1 to 5 that way and the car moves Everytime... When I'm driving 1 through 4 works well but feel a little sticky ...when going from 5th to 4th( when sitting still) it seems to get stuck. I have to like wiggle it to get back in 4th or any other gear. It does not do that when driving but like I said it feels sticky but when I'm sitting still it gets stuck sometimes. When i disconnect the cables under hood the stick moves freely.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
^When you say "sitting still", do you mean the engine is OFF?
You shouldn't try to move the car from a dead stop using 5th gear.
Is this your first manual transmission?
I'm having trouble understanding your issue
Had fluid changed but he put in 140 so I changed it out and put in factory they gave me gl 52.
For your '03, G 070 or the original G 050 is recommended. Do you mean G 052?
Other prople have good success wtih synchromesh. Whatever you're going to use MUST be
safe for brass synchros.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
One of those shift cables is the left to right adjustment and one is the front to back adjustment and I forget which is which. You need to identify the left to right cable and do some adjusting.

Mark your cable as it is right now. With a house full of girls I snuck a bottle of white nail polish down to my garage years ago. Just put a dab on the screw like end of the cable right up against the cable end. Then as you adjust you’ll be able to see how far you’re moving it at least in one direction and by marking it you won’t loose anything, you can always return to where it was.

Last edited:

Redspider97

TDI
03 Jetta tdi silver
Yes I went to two dealers and they both said the computer says g 052. They told me g 070 was not for my car plus they didn't have any in stock. Yes I mean when the car is running I can get into 5th gear.. I don't actually try to drive. I just come off the clutch a little just to see if it's in gear or not. I went and bought some Pennzoil sq I'll put some and see what happens. I'll try and readjust as well

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The Penzoil synchromesh is what I use in mine and I absolutely love it.