I cannot be the only one

toyotahouse

TDI
mk4 jetta/bettle
I have a 2002 TDI .232458 miles.. Runs great.. Flaw.. When i punch it or ask for more power, It drops offline/loss of power like nothing no Turbo.. I have had my OBD2 hooked up and while driving i can reset it but does not show up as whats causing it.

I also have vag-com and no notice or any thing saying there was a problem.

So does anyone have a idea what might be causing this.. As i said i can reset while driving and Away We Go,, Yes I can get it to repeat itself by asking for more power fast.. Thanks

toyotahouse

TDI
mk4 jetta/bettle
I just left the scanner pluged in as i had a glowplug come up on it and I like everyone else has replaced everything glowpklug realeted but still pops up. So i left the scanner plugged in and still working . All I did was hit reset again and there we go again.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Search for "limp mode" and see if this very common issue matches your symptoms.

If so, a good place to start is the troubleshooting thread in my sig below.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, so back up.

You have a DTC? What is it? With the VCDS, not the generic one.

Sounds like you have a limp mode situation, but why I cannot tell you without a few minutes with a suitable scan tool attached to the car.

toyotahouse

TDI
mk4 jetta/bettle
In the car i carry a OBD-II Generic Scanner from Mac Tools, for the glow plug light when it pops. I do have the V.C.D.S. but not while driving.
But have checked the system when i get home with the V.C.D.S. and nothing shows .
I am going to check your vid's out and get back with you on this in a couple of days. I 'am going to have to wait for the snow to be gone before i retest this. And by the way thanks.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Limp mode (overboost or underboost condition) protection of the ECU resets when you power the ignition off. Once you start up the car again, the ECU will go along until the condition is met again and do limp mode. Often it will register a DTC code.

You need to connect the VCDS tool, which is going to tell you more than the MACTools scan tool, and log some measurements for the Engine module. Ignore the glow plug light, it is not the cause of the limp mode. Use VCDS and go to 01 - Engine, Measuring Blocks, then go to block 011. This will display RPM, Boost specified, Boost actual, Charge Pressure valve.

Once you have that set up, then turn on logging. Go for a test drive and do a wide open throttle test from 1st to 3rd or 4th. Post the results into a pic and post here.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
The basics are a boost or vacuum leak. $20 worth of new vacuum line
and check your pipes for the turbo and intercooler connections.
Check your N75 valve if the above doesn't fix it.

For a detailed "how-to" check out this thread;

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=503896

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
OP, just because the Glow Plug light "pops up" doesn't mean there is a problem with the Glow Plugs ........ let that sink in!

A flashing Glow Plug light is an indication of at least one dozen issues!

Your VCDS can tell you what's going on.

Last edited: