Digi PD limp mode

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I bought a used Digi PD from ebay for 300 and my car now goes into limp mode every half mile or so. I even changed the setting to C from E, even worse! ***? What are my chances of getting my money back? I have an 06 Jetta tdi dsg.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
think i found something that might be a potential fix...will try it later today.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Do a search for a posting by icecap. He had the same issue a couple of years ago with his '06 TDI.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=129471&highlight=digi
Yeah I saw that too but I doubt it will work. I really don't want to try it in case I get hit from behind. There is another fix though by removing the air flap sensor but that will trigger a CEL. It sure doesn't happen to a small group of mkv's that's for sure. Man I should have driven to get an Alligator tune but the guy didn't like responding to my second email. Oh well...

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well tried both, limp mode on F with the TPS reset so I took the air flap sensor connector off. Will see how it goes today. I don't know why everyone raves the Digi PD so much, I don't feel any power increase.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Well tried both, limp mode on F with the TPS reset so I took the air flap sensor connector off. Will see how it goes today. I don't know why everyone raves the Digi PD so much, I don't feel any power increase.
Then something's wrong. You should be getting a distinct and very noticable increase. It should be smile inducing.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Then something's wrong. You should be getting a distinct and very noticable increase. It should be smile inducing.
It's on F and besides the annoying check engine light it's ok. I noticed a bit more power the second day but I wouldn't call it smile inducing. I guess I'm use to V8's. Just going to get me something for the weekends that can do 0-60 in way less than 10-11 seconds. I'll probably sell it in the future and get a real tune.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
the digi pd should produce at least 20-30 hp more, installed in my car it made a huge difference in power

i suggest that your maf sensor may be dead or weak

you should easily be able to spin the tires from a standing start, something is either wrong with the digi box or like i said your maf is weak

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
the digi pd should produce at least 20-30 hp more, installed in my car it made a huge difference in power

i suggest that your maf sensor may be dead or weak

you should easily be able to spin the tires from a standing start, something is either wrong with the digi box or like i said your maf is weak
Even on a DSG? No tire spinning here...I suppose a TPC might help but that's probably just throwing money down the drain.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
bluesmoker, thanks for the maf suggestion. I just got a vcds cable not too long ago and will use it to test the maf. Found an article on how to test the MAF just a few minutes ago.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
great, tell us what you find with the maf
Idle and full load was within spec. Although the BRM didn't have expected value, vs actual. Going by actual it did go up to 1100 (full load). Idle at 300. I really should get my dough back but I've no way of proving that the digi pd is be working as it should, short of a dyno run of course.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Idle and full load was within spec. Although the BRM didn't have expected value, vs actual. Going by actual it did go up to 1100 (full load). Idle at 300. I really should get my dough back but I've no way of proving that the digi pd is be working as it should, short of a dyno run of course.
the tuning module could also be dead, I had one die on me, causing a cylinder #1 missfire

i replaced it with a used (cheap) speed tuning usa box, it works great (very smooth) but has less power than the digi box on "f"

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
the tuning module could also be dead, I had one die on me, causing a cylinder #1 missfire

i replaced it with a used (cheap) speed tuning usa box, it works great (very smooth) but has less power than the digi box on "f"
It's not totally dead because there is a difference, I doubt an RC tune (initially thought it was alligator) would do much either. They told me by email that it was a 15 hp increase for stage I. Not worth it in my opinion. To get over 15 I would need exhaust, gauge, etc. No thanks. Not replying to my second email is what did it. I would have driven the short 2 hours to get the tune.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
What does it show it going into limp mode for? 1100mg max and 300mg at idle sounds right for the MAF though so I don't think that's your problem.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What does it show it going into limp mode for? 1100mg max and 300mg at idle sounds right for the MAF though so I don't think that's your problem.
Ya know I didn't even check. I think it's dead pedal and not limp mode because it comes back usually. No more dead pedal after unplugging the egr connector though.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Ya know I didn't even check. I think it's dead pedal and not limp mode because it comes back usually. No more dead pedal after unplugging the egr connector though.
If you search through I seem to recall seeing threads about this where it was just a problem with some PD's and from what they mentioned it was somewhat arbitrary. But, the end result just seemed to be that those with this issue ended up returning the box so no solution was posted.

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
If you search through I seem to recall seeing threads about this where it was just a problem with some PD's and from what they mentioned it was somewhat arbitrary. But, the end result just seemed to be that those with this issue ended up returning the box so no solution was posted.
After talking the local Rep, icecap ended-up selling his and is going to go with a tune.