1996 B4 Passat... where's the thermostat?

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
I do remember starting this thread, and when I figured it out, I thanked FSM that Microsoft didn't engineer the TDI.

Otherwise, the first line in the service manual would have read, "discard vehicle; purchase from new."

Sorry, I had 17 Volvo 140s.

To this day, I can rip the whole engine out of the car in 25 minutes. A radiator? Ten minutes. A thermostat? Name that tune.

Yeah. Challenge me. You will lose.

I love my 140s.

tim1

TDI
passat 1996
housing

It is a good idea to change the housing and adapter, as stated. At 196k, I replaced the thermostat this time during a timing belt service and noticed that my adapter was cracked. With the pump off,you can reach in and hold the stat and put the cover on.
Bora Parts are a real good vender! Tim

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
Haven't used Bora yet; get stuff from IDParts, DieselGeek and in a pinch, whoever can overnight me a starter to a farm in Michigan on a Saturday.

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
I always find it helpful to use my shopvac when changing a thermostat. Disconnect the top hose that goes to the rad and use a little duct tape to the hose and shop vacuum hose. Turn on shop vac after fluid is drained. Now suck that thermostat out!!

Actually turn on shop vac after removing thermostat and installing new one. The shop vac will hold the thermostat in place as you put the bolts in through the housing, as the housing sits upside down. Makes life easier for me.

Last edited: