anybody know of scratch proof paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

my poor little golf,

Had my car out the body shop for all of 48 hours and it got keyed (scratched) down the side again... little bastards in my gf's neighborhood. Funny thing is I live in the neighborhood with street people and she lives in the oh so nice suburbs... anyway... on to my point.. has anyone heard of a paint or paint treatment that makes it highly scratch resistant? I'm probably just dreaming but you never know

------------------
Y2K Golf TDI GLS 5 speed.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
There used to be a paint called Imron or Emron---it was supposed to be VERY hard but was toxic to spray and required special equipment and it was expensive.

blue909

Veteran Member
I think that the paint you're thinking of is made by Sherwin Williams (you could check out their site if you're curious). However, I don't know if it's supposed to be for automotive use (putting aside the practical issues of repainting your entire car in hopes of making it scratchproof). I've seen it used on exterior metal construction in an industrial setting... the stuff I saw looked pretty much like house paint... not what you'd probably want on your car. Anyway, it seems -very- unlikely to me that the stuff would be unkeyable... it's only paint after all.

If you do manage to find some solution for your current conumdrum (other than an armed guard to keep an eye on your ride at nite) do let us know.

blue909

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Imron is a line of polyurethane enamel paints made by by DuPont. I first heard about it reading about pricey paint jobs on airplanes.

I did a Google search and here's the link to the first page that popped up...
http://www.dupont.com/finishes/na/000401.html

It refers to several lines of paint including one that is used on Paccar products (Kenworth, Peterbilt).

I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap, but it sounds like it would be possible to get your car repainted with this stuff.

------------------
GotDiesel? (Diesel... It does a body good.)

2001 Jetta GLS TDI Green/Black leather, 5-speed, the works.
1966 Cessna 150

Ian

Thanks for the info guys...

I've often thought the stainless steel body would be cool... but have no idea what maintenance would actually be like.

If it was a truck I'd put that spray on rhino coat ( or whatever it's called ) on it!

Ian

------------------
Y2K Golf TDI GLS 5 speed.

M

mickey

Transferred to Other Upgrades section because TDI ENGINES aren't painted!

-mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.