6 speed conversion kit

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Well Radim confirmed that they know about the loss of cruise control issue with some ECU / gearbox combinations in 6th, but they do not have a solution for it yet. Let's hope Marc comes through. I'll let everyone know if a fix is found.

Last edited:

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately, no. Here was his response.

"Hello Curtis,
We still don't know why cruise control doesn't work at added gear at some cars. However, we are trying to find it out. We'll inform you when we know more.
Regards,
Radim"

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Unfortunately, no. Here was his response.

"Hello Curtis,
We still don't know why cruise control doesn't work at added gear at some cars. However, we are trying to find it out. We'll inform you when we know more.
Regards,
Radim"

Take a look at these two threads: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=282430&highlight=5th+gear+cruise+problem

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199926&highlight=cruise+control

Think that first link will give you some clues about the problem.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Bump...

Does anyone here have a kit on order with Eurotuning, and if so, do you have an estimated/firm delivery date?

I sent the funds for my kit three weeks ago, they confirmed that the funds were received. Radim has indicated there are some delays due to unexpected demand, but I have not heard from him or anyone else at Eurotuning for two weeks despite three emails looking for a status update.

:(

*hopes for some sort of reply*

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
I gather Radim got back from holiday a few days ago.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've no problem with supplier delays, vacations (well earned I'm sure) and the like, all I want is a little communication.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Windex, I agree! Communication seems to be the biggest issue with almost every sup0plier, except a few outstanding tdiclub suppliers!

Tony

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Hi all,

Wanted to update - yes it was vacation, a little bit of lost in translation, and some supplier issues. Radim got back to me, and all is well with the kit. Thanks for the update Radim!

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
It took three tries, but Mark Malone did it. 2004 BEW (1.5 stage w/ EGR delete), Eurotuning 6 speed manual, with a fully functional cruise control. Thanks Malone Tuning.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I understand it's a ECU programming issue with the 2004 and newer cars. The ECU is "looking" for a speed and rpm coorelation that makes sense based on the programmed factory final drive ratio of 0.75. If the speed and rpm do not match what the computer knows should be correct, it will not allow the cruise control to engage.

This is the same issue guys have when the go to the .658 fifth gear as well.

Mark had to reprogram the computer with the final drive of 0.59 so that the ECU would could understand the new speed and rpm ratios. I'm sure there was some other stuff and it was more complicated than just plugging in a new final drive ratio, but I didn't get that far into it with him. I'll ask, it may be interesting.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Now, what would the payback be say comapared to a 5th gear swap to a .658 or .622 5th gear swap on its own?:D
Finally did my first full tank of fuel since the 6 speed conversion.

900 plus miles all around San Diego county, just normal daily driving with no attempts to buck up the mpg.

39.4 mpg - just near the top of my normal range (36-42). Not unexpected because I had been running a .622 fifth gear for more than a year. Also do not have my Scangauge II hooked up.

All told, I have 1500 miles since the conversion and I still love the smooth, even shift points. My very long 6th gear is not an issue. Running 3.157 final drive and oversize 185/70 x 14 tires. Not a single issue for me since the conversion.

If you are thinking about going to a longer 5th gear, I seriously suggest you spend the considerable extra money for the six speed conversion. It is just that nice!!!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Pulled the trigger. My kit is somewhere on a boat in the Atlantic as far as I can tell.

John, what kind of power mods are you running? I wouldn't want to contemplate such a long 6th without some extra ooomph to avoid shifting all the time (to compensate for the weight of a B4V).

Right now I'm running Malone Stg II with PP520s. Methinks it should be a good match for the 6th.

Finally did my first full tank of fuel since the 6 speed conversion.

900 plus miles all around San Diego county, just normal daily driving with no attempts to buck up the mpg.

39.4 mpg - just near the top of my normal range (36-42). Not unexpected because I had been running a .622 fifth gear for more than a year. Also do not have my Scangauge II hooked up.

All told, I have 1500 miles since the conversion and I still love the smooth, even shift points. My very long 6th gear is not an issue. Running 3.157 final drive and oversize 185/70 x 14 tires. Not a single issue for me since the conversion.

If you are thinking about going to a longer 5th gear, I seriously suggest you spend the considerable extra money for the six speed conversion. It is just that nice!!!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
No, John, we don't offer .52 ratio yet. You are driving with ratio .59 for a few months now, do you really think heavier ratio would be better for you?
Radim
With the 3.157 final drive in the CTN transmission - No.

But with a 3.38 final drive in another transmission - perhaps just a little.

Have not taken a long road trip yet, but love the way the car drives with the 6 speed conversion.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Wanted to update, my kit finally arrived. - well packed and all items accounted for. Should be installing this weekend if weather cooperates.

I will be pulling the tranny and disassembling, as I have a rear main seal and clutch to do at the same time.

Have 1000km of driving to do for work next week - should be a good chance to get some fuel economy numbers... :D

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
:D

Installed the kit this weekend :D
Build quality on the kit is very good :D
Took the transmission out and replaced the clutch and 2nd gear syncro at the same time :D
Transmission was stupid heavy and very awkward to get back in on my own :(
Got it all back together and went for a drive - 6th gear revs real low on the highway :D
Pops out of gear in 5th; the only way to keep it in 5th is to hold the shift lever forward. Adjusted the shift cable all the way forward as well - no improvement - going to have to take it apart again and adjust the shims on the shift rail-rod. :(

Odd... I was very careful to make sure that the shift fork was centered on the syncro dog in both directions. Well, at least I don't have to take the transmission out again in order to add shim(s) to the shift rail/rod.

Radim, if you have any helpful hints from any of your customers that have experienced the same, I'd be most appreciative.

Last edited:

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
:D
Installed the kit this weekend :D
Build quality on the kit is very good :D
Took the transmission out and replaced the clutch and 2nd gear syncro at the same time :D
Transmission was stupid heavy and very awkward to get back in on my own :(
Got it all back together and went for a drive - 6th gear revs real low on the highway :D
Pops out of gear in 5th; the only way to keep it in 5th is to hold the shift lever forward. Adjusted the shift cable all the way forward as well - no improvement - going to have to take it apart again and adjust the shims on the shift rail-rod. :(
Odd... I was very careful to make sure that the shift fork was centered on the syncro dog in both directions. Well, at least I don't have to take the transmission out again in order to add shim(s) to the shift rail/rod.
Radim, if you have any helpful hints from any of your customers that have experienced the same, I'd be most appreciative.
Hello Adam,
This can be caused only by the adjustment of the selector fork. As you may assume, you will have to add a washer between the shift rail and the selector fork, as the shift rail is so to say „short“ now and will not shift the dog gear into the lock. The best is to test everything with the aluminium cover, which is only put on, not sealed, without bolts, to shift alternately gears 5 and 6 and try, if it is after shifting a gear possible to move the selector lever in the shifting direction a little, the selector fork will be pressed to the end but will return a little and released after releasing the selector lever. This should be identical with both speeds, 5 and 6.
Regards,
Radim

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yes, got it running properly.

Per Radim's reply above, If I were to do it over again, I would install the end cover loosely, get the transmission installed (for those like me doing the install out of the car) install the shift shaft and cables, then remove the cover again.

Then (an assistant helps here) shift back and forth from 5th to 6th to neutral over and over and determine the number of shims needed to make sure the synchronizer hub/dog is centered in neutral, and that it engages fully in both 5th and 6th.

I checked this on the bench, and gravity must have skewed my measurements of the synchro position when the shaft was vertical.

Once the gears were horizontal in the car, it was plain that the shift rod needed to be lengthened with the provided shims - in my case it was 2x1mm to make it perfectly centered. the .5mm was not used.

I had my 14 y/o shift the lever back and forth from 5th to 6th with the 2 shims installed, and the synchro engaged equally in both gears - before, it would not engage fully into 5th.

All is good now - though my first tank involved a 5 hour drive in a rainstorm and a some heavy headwinds. :( So no awesome F/E numbers to report yet.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Further, make sure that the 5/6 synchro hub shown in this picture is centered evenly between the 5th and 6th gear teeth when the transmission is in the car and the car in neutral.

Also make sure that the hub engages fully and touches the gear teeth in both 5th and 6th when using the gearshift lever. When you let go of the gearshift lever, it will retract slightly and leave a small clearance.