Intake manifold is clean... what else could it be?

drjtdi

TDI
2001 Jetta Balck
As I was cruising down the highway around midnight last Sunday the charger tube blew away from the intercooler. Today, thinking of course that the intake must be clogged again, I was in the process of removing the intake manifold for cleaning. When I removed the race pipe I saw a completely clean intake! Well, save for a little oil it was clean, no gooey build-up at all.

So my question is: what else could have caused a situation where the charger tube would blow off of the intercooler?

2001 Jetta TDI, auto, 255,000 miles. The only mods are the race pipe and an Upsolute chip. I had the turbo replaced about 50k ago and I had previously replacd the factory clamp with an aftermarket clamp where the tube and intercooler join. The new clamp is a little wider and more difficult to set in place properly. Could this clamp have been improperly set and slowly worked loose since the turbo replacement or might I have another problem? Would a clogged intercooler have caused this? It was cleaned when the turbo was replaced.

Many thanks for any helpful insight you can offer!!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Would a clogged intercooler have caused this?

I would think that the oil would be pushed into the engine and burned, but how about draining and flushing the intercooler to be sure?

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
Re: Intake manifold is clean... what else could it

Clamps break sometimes.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Re: Intake manifold is clean... what else could it

make sure the end of the hose as well as the end of the intercooler is clean and dry before you put the hose back on.. I had mine blow off 3 days in a row... I cleaned off everything with break cleaner and blew it dry with compressed air and re-installed the hose with new clamps.. Hasn't come off since...
Good Luck
Jason