Am I too late for the fender recall?

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Im driving a 2002 Jetta TDI. Both front fenders have baseball size holes right in the middle above the wheel wells. Ive read stories about VW replacing them free of charge on cars that were 2003's this year. I did call my local dealer and they said the recall was only good for cars 10 year old and newer. Just wondering if there was any loop holes I should look into to try getting mine replaced. Thanks

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
It is actually a 12 year warranty/TSB .... it is based on the in-service date. With a 2002, you are right on the bubble. Might have to try a couple of dealers ... search the forum for fender tsb maine.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I doubt you'll get a dealer in Maine to cover the replacement.
I just did a fender replacement on a 2001 Jetta.
The fenders are not that expensive.
I had a local shop paint the fenders and then I did the actual fender replacement.
The cost was reasonable with both fenders and having the paint job "farmed out" and my labor. I do recommend buy the fender replacement hardware kit from a local dealership. The hardware kit has everything you'll need to do a proper job.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Look at the build date on your car (driver's door jam). If it's more than 12 years old you're out of luck. I expect it is. I warrantied mine in March, but it was build in 3/02, so I was just under the wire. Bought it in May of the same year so if they worked on the in-service date I had some leeway. But you're clearly past 12 years old.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
A few pointers / tips if you're planning to do the fender replacement yourself:
Buy the 3M undercoat (spray can).
I bought mine at a local NAPA store.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...rubberized-undercoating-16-oz-03584/7141477-P

I recommend applying 2 coats to the inner-surface of the fender skin.

Fender hardware kit:
1J0-898-051

Peanut bulb Qty. 2 (P/N: 158)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SYL0/158.oap?pt=01579&ppt=C0010

The car's paint code:
In the trunk, beneath the trunk liner is the build sticker.
The build sticker will have the paint code.
If the build sticker is missing or damaged you can call any VW dealership (provide the VIN) and they will give you the paint code.

Last edited:

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys, I ended up just buying some fenders and putting them on myself. Went pretty well and looks good. $98 each for CAPA certified fenders and $40 for 2 cans of spray paint that matches the car. I didnt under the inside of the fenders by I think I will.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon