Brake job headache

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
Boy did I open a can of worms. Found a autostore that let me change my front brakes in their lot. Had to borrow impact driver,and several other implements of devastation. Loosened lugs on passenger side and went to loosen drivers side and broke 2 sockets and impact wrench. The last place that changed my front tires must of had a gorilla tighten the lugs. Had to get a cheater pipe and a good breaker bar and socket and literally stand and jump on bar to get loose. Figures passenger side was the easy one. Brakes looked good,but changed anyway with new rotors and pads.
Came time to do drivers side and that is when and where the problem began.The caliper cup was hyper extended made it hard to get back seated in the caliper .Both inner and outer pads were down to the metal. Put new on and come next week am changing both brake hoses and the drivers caliper,since passenger one moved smooth into recess. Should I replace both calipers as well when I do replace? Or just the one?
All info does help me be a happy camper
Ron
2/99 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 5 speed manual trans

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
If the passenger side didn't give you any reason to suspect a problem I wouldn't see any reason to change it.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Brakes

Personally speaking, since brakes are a safety issue, I prefer to go overkill in these types of situations. If you are replacing one caliper, replace them as a set. Exchange units are cheap for the car. Same goes for the brake hoses. Replace as a set.

Make sure you bleed the brakes properly when done as well.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Personally speaking, since brakes are a safety issue, I prefer to go overkill in these types of situations. If you are replacing one caliper, replace them as a set. Exchange units are cheap for the car. Same goes for the brake hoses. Replace as a set.
Make sure you bleed the brakes properly when done as well.
I agree. I think it is better to replace pairs, like calipers, headlights, rotors, etc.. The only time I might not do that is if I know one had been recently replaced. If they are original and 1 is bad, I think the other one is probably real close also...Mark

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
There is no reason to replace a caliper that is functioning properly. Make sure the entire system get bled completely.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
"If it aint broke don't fix it."

I've had to exchange several faulty newly rebuilt calipers in the last two years. (partsource and NAPA)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Replacing rotors and pucks as a set makes good sense. Replacing the calipers in pairs, unless you have a good reason to, is not required.

Cheers,

PH

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Never replaced calipers in pairs in all the years I've been making a living working on cars. Replace just the bad one. Make sure the slider pins move easily and smoothly.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Never replaced calipers in pairs in all the years I've been making a living working on cars. Replace just the bad one. Make sure the slider pins move easily and smoothly.

Agree, replace them when they need it.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none

Were most of those customer's cars? If I were a professional mechanic, I would probably recommend it to the customer, but would only change one if that is what they wanted. My personal cars are different, I overkill them and definitely would replace the 2. I wouldn't throw away the "good" one, it would be kept as an emergency repair. On my rarer vehicles, I will replace good, but well used parts, just to keep them as a spare. I spend a lot of time in Mexico and the chances of me finding most parts for my cummins are slim, so I make sure and have them with me...Mark

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
Can of worms

LOL
Thank you for the input guys. I am going to replace both calipers since I am replacing both brake hoses. Yes overkill is best,especially if planning a long trip and repair shops are few and far between,not to mention costly when they see an out of state tag. Sorta like the movie National Lampoon's Vacation w/Chevy Chase visiting Wally World<<almost similar to Walmart,LOL
Thanks again guys,am going to probably do the rear brakes next week when I am doing the calipers and hoses. This way will have complete job done.Give you an update when I bust my knuckles again

Ron
VW Jetta TDI 1.9 5 speed

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
don't forget about the e-brake/piston return tool( or at least requirement to screw them back in).
cheers,
Douglas

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
LOL
Cheers,I won't forget.Am going to do it a the parts store that let me do my front brakes.This way not too far from getting what I need if I don't have already

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
brake problem

Well, I did replace the one caliper that was bad. Almost had to put a new set of pads on that side but caught it in time. Stops and drives smoother now, No burning brake syndrome.
I did take the converter off and I have 2 1/4 inch pipe so I won't get bigger size. When I replaced the vac lines a few were crunchy or broke as soon as I touched them.
After replacing the hoses it ran 100% better.Has more power,especially with no converter,which was clogged. Thank you for all the help you gave me and still have to replace temp sensor and didn't replace MAF since it is running good and strong.
Now I should get better fuel mileage,maybe more than the 45 I am getting. Will know am topping tank off tonight and see what I get on fuel mileage. Sorry I did not get any pics of my problems but all your help was better than a snapshot

Ron 2/99 VW Jetta TDI 1.9 5 speed

vw monster

TDI
golf and 4 jettas
If you replaced you calipers and break flex lines you should do a break flush it good idea and keeps moister out break fluid break fluid likes moisture so flushing your system is a good idea and it will keep you calipers better longer.

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
brake problem

Will do that when I do the back brakes this weekend coming up. Hope it warms up more by Sunday.. Extra hour of sleep.