1996 VW Passat TDI

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
Hello Everyone,

So I'm sure this has been asked a million times, so take it easy on the new kid.

I'm looking at buying this vehicle from a friend, I am in desperate need of a DD, but I am on a college budget.

He said the car is pouring black smoke out from an idle, when you give it gas it kind of stutters, you can stomp on the gas and it really doesn't do anything.

The car doesn't have any power to speak of...and I would need to be able to be able to drive it home to work on it.

Any ideas what might be the deal? Thanks!

-Douglas

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
not lack of air, lack of boost.

I've seen quite a few split hoses down here in TX recently... you can find it realatively easily by following the black oil.

you might also have a vacuum line out (there is also one inside the ECU), however this would show up on a scan tool.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Also open up the airbox and check the air filter, AND carefully inspect the snowscreen which is on the input to the airbox and located on the bottom of the box underneath the filter--it may be clogged with debris (dead bugs, leaves, etc). Takes only a few minutes.

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
alphaseinor said:
not lack of air, lack of boost.

I've seen quite a few split hoses down here in TX recently... you can find it realatively easily by following the black oil.

you might also have a vacuum line out (there is also one inside the ECU), however this would show up on a scan tool.
Lack of boost...even at an idle?

Thanks.

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
joetdi said:
Don't forget the air flow sensor...
Would that for the most part need to be replaced or just cleaned?

He checked the air filter, I guess it was pretty nasty, so he took it out temporarily so that shouldn't be the issue.

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

this link will take you to the regional thread for the east coast. try posting there too for some "local" help, maybe sombody would be willing to come and take a look.

Whenvever I clean the (AmsOil) air filter I clean my MAF (still original) w/ carb cleaner, I'm not sure if that's recommended. I remove it from the car and give it a good shower.

Last edited:

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
tomo366 said:
MAF's on the Passat cars rarely fail......
Do not run the car without an Air Filter!
:) Don't worry it was just for testing purposes.

Thanks for the link grandad I'll check it out after classes.

Keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate the help everyone

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
So here is another quick question, if I do not have access to a code scanner what would be an easy way to determine if the intake is clogged or not? I think I am going to go look at this car this weeked, and hopefully make the purchase.

Thanks!

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
To check the intake, you will need to disconnect the air intake piping right where it goes into the intake manifold--it's not that hard to do, but there are the spring-steel hose clamps that you can probably use slip-joint pliers to get off (they make special hose clamp pliers for these clamps but if there is easy access as in this case the pliers usually will work fine).

You'll need a flashlight to look inside the manifold also.

Here's what my intake looked like at about 180K miles. It may look bad but it really wasn't causing any significant performance reduction:

And here's what it looked like after cleaning :) :

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
While I'm at it I have another question which I seem to be finding conflicting information everywhere.

The MK-- (I.E. MK4, MKIV) is this for denoting the model years for vehicles? I know the 1996 Passat I am looking at is a B4 chassis, but is it a MK-- too?

***EDIT***

Looks as though the B4 corresponds to MK4?

Last edited:

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
redmondjp said:
To check the intake, you will need to disconnect the air intake piping right where it goes into the intake manifold--it's not that hard to do, but there are the spring-steel hose clamps that you can probably use slip-joint pliers to get off (they make special hose clamp pliers for these clamps but if there is easy access as in this case the pliers usually will work fine).

You'll need a flashlight to look inside the manifold also.

Here's what my intake looked like at about 180K miles. It may look bad but it really wasn't causing any significant performance reduction:

And here's what it looked like after cleaning :) :

Thanks, just what I was looking for. So if you're saying that wasn't causing any performance issues...then if it is indeed the intake manifold on the Passat I'm looking at it should be worse than that?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
LumberJack5500 said:
While I'm at it I have another question which I seem to be finding conflicting information everywhere.

The MK-- (I.E. MK4, MKIV) is this for denoting the model years for vehicles? I know the 1996 Passat I am looking at is a B4 chassis, but is it a MK-- too?

***EDIT***

Looks as though the B4 corresponds to MK4?
The "mk4" is generally used for the Jetta/Golf platform (also NB). You have a B4, the 97 Jetta was an A3, the 99.5-95.5(?) jettas were A4's, current ones are A5. I don't know what the current Passats are, but your car would not generally be called a MarkIV. At least from what I have seen.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
"A" series cars are only the Golf/Jetta/New Beetle models

"B" denotes the Passat models

Unsure what designation the Sciroccos, Foxes, Quantams, and Corrados had.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
LumberJack5500 said:
Thanks, just what I was looking for. So if you're saying that wasn't causing any performance issues...then if it is indeed the intake manifold on the Passat I'm looking at it should be worse than that?
Yes, exactly. Although I want to emphasize that sometimes the worst restriction is past the EGR valve right at the bend, and it can be difficult to clearly see that area, especially with the manifold still on the car. An inspection mirror and a good flashlight are helpful for this.

I have seen pictures of intakes clogged to where there was only a hole the size of a pencil diameter and the car was still running--this would certainly be a performance killer though. My manifold maybe had 1/8" to 3/16" of buildup on the inside walls.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Looking down the snout of an A3/B4 intake is not always reliable. They tend to clog more at the head ports than the A4 cars that clog at the throat of the intake.

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
paramedick said:
Looking down the snout of an A3/B4 intake is not always reliable. They tend to clog more at the head ports than the A4 cars that clog at the throat of the intake.
Awesome, so it sounds like when I get this beast an EGR delete (or race pipe?) is in order.

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to get some more information on it when I see it this weekend.

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
LumberJack5500 said:
Awesome, so it sounds like when I get this beast an EGR delete (or race pipe?) is in order.
Not possible. The EGR is part of the intake manifold, not a separate piece. You could remove the vacuum line and plug it with a screw. EGR doesn't work then. You may or may not get a CEL. Easiest way to defeat the EGR is to put a blockoff plate on the exhaust outlet and remove the flexpipe.

A few folks have cut the EGR off the intake and welded a piece of aluminum pipe in place.

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
paramedick said:
Not possible. The EGR is part of the intake manifold, not a separate piece. You could remove the vacuum line and plug it with a screw. EGR doesn't work then. You may or may not get a CEL. Easiest way to defeat the EGR is to put a blockoff plate on the exhaust outlet and remove the flexpipe.

A few folks have cut the EGR off the intake and welded a piece of aluminum pipe in place.
Oh damn, ok I will keep that in mind

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
So kid said 220K on this beast, still sound worth it?

I figure I am going to have to do some considerable repairs to get it road legal, we'll see. I need something on the road ASAP for a daily driver. Having a jeep as a project vehicle is killing me.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Oh, oh, oh, (Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter)! A newbie & a girl can answer this one! (with giddy excitement):D

The 1996 Passat is an A3 motor and a B4 chassis. 90hp, wastegate turbocharger.

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
MarsBar said:
Oh, oh, oh, (Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter)! A newbie & a girl can answer this one! (with giddy excitement):D

The 1996 Passat is an A3 motor and a B4 chassis. 90hp, wastegate turbocharger.
:)

I have most of that information now...looking for information like what engine it is... 1Z, AHU or whatever

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
Att'a girl marsbar, you're learning! (dieselgrandad is originally dieseldad - of 5 daughters, all of whom can "check the oil and change a tire")

A '96 should have a 1Z engine, unless it was swapped out (like mine). There is a fairly recent thread on this. In the B4/A3 forum I think. You'll find a ton of info in those forums, over and above what you'll get in 101.

LumberJack5500

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V
Alright so I finally got away from school and got to check this beast out, turns out it's actually a wagon!!! Not sure how I feel about that, but if it will make a good daily driver I don't care. I snapped some pictures for you all, tell me I am making the right decision because I'm going to pick it up on Friday :D

Best part is that it actually runs...though not too well :) Here are some pictures of the rust damage, it all looks fairly repairable, the underside of the vehicle is perfect, I couldn't believe it.

Rear Drivers Fender

Drivers Door

Drivers Fender

Passenger Door

Last edited: