Automatic Transmission not shifting right

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Im stumped here. Ive tried everything I can think of. I have a 2002 Jetta TDI automatic. Normally the vehicle drives and shifts fine but over night it seems to be shifting different. Not it wont shift gears until the RPM's hit about 3500. That is way higher then before. It has a very hard time shifting from 3rd gear into overdrive. The only time it will even go into overdrive is if im at 3500+ RPM's which is about 65-70 which is well over all the posted speed limits around here. I know this is KILLING my fuel mileage. I have tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and putting it back on. I tried cycling the key 2 times and holding the gas pedal down for 5 seconds. Still nothing is working. My engine did over heat a little the other day because I lost my coolant temp sensor, put a new one in and filled up the fluid and thats back to normal. Not sure if that might have something to do with it. Any help would be great. Thanks

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Search O1M here. That transmission acting up is kind of a feature.

It is also the inspiration for many of us to have converted our cars to a manual (myself included).

CoolairVW seem to be the man in the know when it comes to these O1M transmissions.

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I will search the transmission but changing to a standard is not an option for me right now.

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
You can change the auto fluid and filter. It might work, it might not. i change mine every 30,000. I now have 450,000 on original 01m.

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ive been doing a little reading about people saying the Transmission Control Module could be wet from being under the passenger side carpet. Also some people saying they had luck changing the G68 sensor. Anyone heard of these being the problems? Thanks

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
TCM is under the cowl (under that black plastic covering the windshield wiper linkage).

The connector un-plugged is the ECU, the TCM is on the left in this pic:

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
An update. Today the car is shifting just fine. One thing I did notice was the drivers side floor mat was soaked and the carpet under was wet also. I ran my engine codes and they were -

P0722 Volkswagen - Output Speed Sensor No Signal
P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Circuit High
P0128 Coolant Below Operating Level
P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio

I fixed the Coolant with a new coolant temp sensor and new fluid the other day before I started having the shifting problem. But for some reason today its shifting just fine.

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Okay awesome! Ill pick up a speed sensor this week. Do you think the speed sensor threw the code for incorrect gear ratio also? Any idea if the water on the floor caused this or if it was just a coincidence?

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure the gear ratio error is basically telling you the two speed sensors data is out of line / out of the range expected.

I'd say water on the floor is a coincidence. Do you have a sunroof? Your drains may be plugged.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
One in the same. There was a recall for this from VW. They basically remove the end of the drain tube that was prone to blockage and of course make sure the drains are clean.

I had the recall done but have never had a leak that I ever noticed.

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
An update. Still shifting just fine. I did look under the hood at some of the wire connections and there was standing antifreeze in them. I unpluged them and blew out the fluid and its still going good. The only engine code im getting now is P0128 although the fluid level is fine, im also getting P0123 but thats another story lol. Just glad its shifting now.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I do not know much about this problem but you may want use the search term "coolant migration". I hope to not be sending you off on an unrelated tangent but your last post brought this to mind. good luck.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
On top of the transmission? Check your coolant flange / Coolant temp sensor. You're leaking someplace and that is a good place to start. There are two large coolant hoses that connect to the auto trans as well.

cross

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Thanks, just did a quick search and I dont think that was the problem. When the clip broke on my Coolant Temp Sensor it went everywhere so im sure thats why there was coolant on the plug. Ill keep an eye out for other problems though. Thanks

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Also, P0128 occasionally shows up if you are using a block heater