performance tune from Malone Tuning input?

roshort05

TDI
04 jetta
I bought a egr delete kit and put it on my car. I'm going tomorrow to get a egr tune, but was wondering if anyone has had the performance tune done to their tdi and how you like it? Did you notice a big difference in your car? How was your mpg?

Trying to weigh the options of just the egr tune ($134 total) and the performance stage 1 tune ($300)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I have the Malone stage 1.5 plus dynamic EGR. Well worth the $$$ IMO. No loss in mpg that I can see. I've had it now for about three years.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If I'm not mistaken the EGR delete tune is only like $100 if you buy a performance tune along with it.

Edit: if you buy a Malone tune, the EGR delete tune is FREE with purchase of a tune!! SPEND A LITTLE MORE MONEY AND GET A TUNE!!

Last edited:

Mawcus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW PD 5 Speed
I went with a Malone 1.5 in my 2004 Jetta BEW PD with about 130k miles on it. I went with the tune after deleting the EGR so I could get rid of the CEL. I like it a lot. Made the car a lot more snappy. Clutch started slipping with the new power so maybe a Malone stage 1 could be the way to go. I've driven with clutch slipping randomly for a year, about 15k miles. doesn't always slip and only does it when I put the hammer down. cant wait to get a beefier clutch that wont slip. Malone 1 could be a way to avoid clutch slippage or go for 1.5 I think eventually, with a Malone 1.5, in my experience your clutch will start slipping.

v-dub-u

TDI
02 jetta tdi 2010 jetta tdi, 92 corrado tdi
Went with stage 3 custom on my ALH and love it . Really made a difference . Did a stage 1.5 on my wife's 06 and made a big difference and gained a lil over 2 mpg in hers

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I have the stage 2 with egr delete and dpf delete with a SBC stage II clutch for the torque. I cannot be happier if you placed me in a "place made up comment here".

I get much more power when I pull out randomly in front of a 18 wheeler barreling down the highway, and when I get up to cruising speed. I get about 10 - 15 % more mileage. I have the choice now of mileage or power, and actually you can kind of get both if you don't mind the mileage your getting now.

I haven't had this set up going into the winter yet, so I will need to evaluate the system in the cold weather.

TDI_FNG

TDI
2004 Jetta
I went with a Malone 1.5 with Dynamic idle and EGR on my 04 Jetta. Much more get up and go. Expect a MPG drop for the first tank or two, but more smiles per mile.

If I keep my foot out of it, MPG is about the same. It is nice to have the power when I need it.

Expect to have to replace the stock clutch sooner rather than later.

Last edited: