Just got my first TDI

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
Hey guys I purchased my first TDI about 3 weeks ago, an 02 Golf 4 dr. and I just have some general questions about it. I have noticed people talking about venting their gas tanks, can someone explain something to me? I have noticed when Im filling up that the gas handle will stop by itself, and you can hear air coming out like venting. and last time I added another gallong or two just by putting in more and waiting for it to vent by itself. Is that how you get your 14.5 gallons or will that be more? I know some other people vent different ways too, what are all the tricks? Thanks alot

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Welcome to the club.

There is a little valve that the filler cap holds open when installed. The valve can be held open by the spring on the pump nozzle or removed. This will let you get 1-2 more gallons in, over the 14.5 . Do a search on forum.

98rzvr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr TDI
But since I let the pump stop itself, and then continued to add fuel until pretty much the pump wouldnt let me anymore, does that mean that I added past 14.5 gallons? Thats what Im really wondering, ive seen the posts about the valve

SSmike1

TDI
96 Passat TDi
welcome to the TDI club! Look around, spend some time looking at the forum. Most of your questions can be answered there!
:)
enjoy the GREAT MPG!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
They designed the tank for gassers. So when the gas expanded it didn't blow up the tank.

Take the cap off, look on the left inside of the filler tube... there is a little black thing sticking out. If you push that down with the fuel nozzle more fuel will drop into the tank and you can add more in.

If that little black thing doesn't exist, someone else did a ventectomy.

octy900

TDI
Mk1 Octavia tdi 110 (ASV)2002
lol why you driving around with full tank? all that extra weight

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
But since I let the pump stop itself, and then continued to add fuel until pretty much the pump wouldnt let me anymore, does that mean that I added past 14.5 gallons? Thats what Im really wondering, ive seen the posts about the valve
Due to foaming, unless one fills to the brim,the tank may not be filled to the same level each time.