Why hasn't KBB updated our values?

youngman

TDI
2003 Golf
Since this is considered a sale to VW, not a trade in. Why aren't the blue book values going up?

Also, these vehicles are selling for big $$$ when they do pop up for sale, be it auction or public market. If KBB or the others base it on recent transactions the numbers should continue to rise

The above is true for 2.0 and 3.0 cars.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It makes sense that the values would go up, but perhaps the sales data is so sparse that they're relying on estimates based on prior-year valuations, and filtering out what look like outlier sales figures?

I imagine our buybacks aren't represented, only "real" transactions at they dealers and wholesalers they survey. I'd bet you it looks like a very incomplete data set.

I checked out True Car for a value on our '15 Passat, and they're not even listing the TDIs.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Everyone who is scooping up TDIs from auctions, dealerships and private parties knows the "truth" and could care less about KBB value since thats not what they are basing their purchase budget on.

Keeping KBB low actually increases chances of finding a car from an unsuspecting seller who checked KBB before listing their car for sale and doesn't know its really worth a lot more right now.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, but KBB surveys dealers and wholesalers, and they're owned under the same umbrella as Manheim Auto Auctions & Auto Trader. Folks'll argue the merits of KBB vs. NADA but their good reputations are tied to being close to accurate. There's no question they know what's going on with the TDIs, especially at this point in the buyback process.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
KBB for our vehicle is too low - absurdly so (<$16K w/11K mi) ... its on-line calculator is good for a laugh though!

:D

willie
on the 'smile with every VW mile' Gulf of Mexico

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
KBB for our vehicle is too low - absurdly so (<$16K w/11K mi) ... its on-line calculator is good for a laugh
Yep, the Passat in my sig clocked $18k on their site which was actually higher than I expected, but still way lower than today's street value. You'd think they'd at least add a disclaimer to the affected group of TDIs.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Everyone who is scooping up TDIs from auctions, dealerships and private parties knows the "truth" and could care less about KBB value since thats not what they are basing their purchase budget on.

Keeping KBB low actually increases chances of finding a car from an unsuspecting seller who checked KBB before listing their car for sale and doesn't know its really worth a lot more right now.
When the scandal emerged in Sept., 2015, we took a KBB photo. Our JSW was valued at best, $14k.
So, according to you, how much is "a lot more right now"?
If it's more than the VW buyback price, I'll hang out the 'For Sale' sign.
Where are you getting your ideas, and prices from?

Here's today's reference: https://www.kbb.com/volkswagen/jett...2930464|true|6498841|true&condition=very-good

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey now! Looks like that's a pretty close match.

Today's KBB for our 2015 comes in $4k low vs. buyback, but I didn't check KBB or NADA values at the time the scandal broke, so I'm assuming VW's buyback value was close to accurate (the 2015s were a bit of a wildcard because they were so new).

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Hey now! Looks like that's a pretty close match.

Today's KBB for our 2015 comes in $4k low vs. buyback, but I didn't check KBB or NADA values at the time the scandal broke, so I'm assuming VW's buyback value was close to accurate (the 2015s were a bit of a wildcard because they were so new).
Yeah, today's KBB is about $200 less than the pre-scandal price for our 2010 JSW on that day in 2015. VW is offering us $2600 more than today's KBB

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
When the scandal emerged in Sept., 2015, we took a KBB photo. Our JSW was valued at best, $14k.
So, according to you, how much is "a lot more right now"?
If it's more than the VW buyback price, I'll hang out the 'For Sale' sign.
Where are you getting your ideas, and prices from?

Here's today's reference: https://www.kbb.com/volkswagen/jett...2930464|true|6498841|true&condition=very-good
KBB / NADA for 10-11 Q7 TDI is in mid $20s, they are going for mid $30s at auctions and dealerships that know about scandal

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
This owner is HAPPY with KBB ~ not so with NADA

Mine is (currently) = $23,600-ish vis KBB

My personal beef is with the much lower NADA = $19,800-ish

All this has no meaning if I do the buyback.

But if I do the "FIX" ~~ I would then sell it on the CURB ~~ when that particular time comes ~~ maybe soon ?

The difference of 'bout $3,800 is mind boggling

Who do I trust?

No one:p

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
But if I do the "FIX" ~~ I would then sell it on the CURB ~~ when that particular time comes ~~ maybe soon ?
Who do I trust?
The only real number is the one who answers the ad with cash in hand.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My KBB (full bore retail) just went up ~ big time

$24,136 ~~

From

$23,636 ~~

Wondering if that is a mistake or aberration?

Any way it is welcome

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KBB has gone up on my TDi

Who do I trust?
--------------------------

Just looked at KBB

From $23,600-ish

To $24,150-ish:D

Why too much differential between KBB and NADA ~ What the heck is going on?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
For the conspiracy theorists out there, maybe the insurance companies are putting pressure on KBB to keep the values low. I did notice though that my '11 Jetta has gone up a few thousand in KBB. But my '15 Passat is still less than $20K, only a tad lower than my $34K offer from VW.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

Who do I trust?

No one
Why would you do the fix and then turn around and sell when VW is offering you a nice chunk for it right now? I think "book" values are going to be way out of line with real prices for TDI's for the next 2-5 years. Despite what dealers claim, they use current auction prices for trade-in value and then price in an additional profit on top of that. Besides what they give you for your trade-in is really based on how much they can afford to sell the car you're buying. Trade-ins can be a very lucrative source of income for dealers, even if they auction them. I know a lot of people that take whatever the dealer offers for their trade, which is often less than "book" value. I had one dealer offer us $3,500 for a vehicle that I turned around and sold privately for $7k. The dealer refused to move off the offer, despite me showing them that both wholesale auction value and asking prices online were in the $5-9k range. With regard to private party sales, ask whatever you want for the car. I've sold several cars for above retail book value to private parties, because they were very clean examples, rare, or very desireable. Book values are simply pricing guides and are not meant to be written in stone (unless you're doing a buyback ;-))

Last edited:

XtreemLee

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon Wagon (bought back), 2006 Golf GLI
Because kkb is a dishonest corporation that profits from low values... Across the board...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KBB just went up $84 on my 2015 Golf in last < month

KBB = $24,220 ~~ Full bore Dealer Retail

More and more thinking of switching from BB to "FIX."

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not going to stay there. As soon as September 2018 hits, those blue book values are going to plummet to a normal valuation.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure, but my point is a decision to change to "fix & keep" shouldn't be based on an artificially inflated blue book valuation.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sure, but my point is a decision to change to "fix & keep" shouldn't be based on an artificially inflated blue book valuation.
Hard to beat a $25,625 BB check.

Issue I am running into is being comfortable with a replacement at my price point. These several cars just do not measure up to what I have in the garage -- NOTE: Last thing anyone can call me is a loyalist or an enthusiast

Did my (personal) home work kicking tires at 4 different brand dealers, this week.

Don't we just loath dealership crapppoollaa.

Looked at MSRP up to <> $25.000 with VW Honda Toyota, Nissan.

All just were not equal, to my Golf ~ That's when the mouse turned

Only down side with my car is lack of "tint." ~~ and the issue (in general) of RE-GENs

Though of the gains (for me) if I did the "FIX."

$6,701 VW + $350 BOSCH + NOT spending $900-ish for a new car TT&L

Est. Total = $7,951-ish

After looking at all the figures of what I paid, the $1,000 good will cards, the final line is this.

I bought a MSRP $24,895 -- 2015 TDi DSG Tungsten Silver Golf -- for (approx) $12,450

and----

And (currently) has a pristine condition ~~ with < 4,250 miles.

Did I forget to say with a 11 year transferable warranty.

Maybe the best of the situation is: I don't have to spend time with nice (or blood sucking) car jocks.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
IMO, your car is new enough, has low enough miles and has a fix is available to make the fix more attractive than a buyback, especially given you need to replace the car if you do the buyback. Financially, IMO, you're better off taking the fix.

I do agree on the blue book values falling after the buyback effort is completed. You'll probably see the value of your car fall to about $14-18k (given its low mileage, it may stay in the higher range). If VW ever gets a fix approved for the Gen 1 cars, expect that blue book price to fall even more as the market gets flooded with used TDIs. If you like your car, keep it. Get the fix, get the restitution money, enjoy the extended warranty and move on.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Weird -- my KBB just went up again

Maybe because the "new" old units are now in the market?

Only thing I can think of, KBB is looking at the "full" price before the $5,000 or $8,000 is taken off ???

$24,689 which is close to the original MSRP

Got to be an aberration X 2

NADA is up (only) a small amount ~~ but it is up (my car)

Last edited:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Maybe because the "new" old units are now in the market?

Only thing I can think of, KBB is looking at the "full" price before the $5,000 or $8,000 is taken off ???

$24,689 which is close to the original MSRP

Got to be an aberration X 2

NADA is up (only) a small amount ~~ but it is up (my car)
*ahem* KBB means nada - get it? ;)

Seriously, those mean nothing until you find a buyer willing to pay your asking price.

Ever look up your house on Zillow or Redfin?

The value of something is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

For a 2015 TDI, you will not find anyone [sane] who will pay you more than the VW BB amount. Why keep rehashing this in public for us all to read?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
*ahem* KBB means nada - get it? ;)
Seriously, those mean nothing until you find a buyer willing to pay your asking price.
Ever look up your house on Zillow or Redfin?
The value of something is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
For a 2015 TDI, you will not find anyone [sane] who will pay you more than the VW BB amount. Why keep rehashing this in public for us all to read?
^^^^^^^

This needs to be posted as a sticky. Who cares about KBB? "An item is worth exactly what it will bring in the market." - Some Rich Guy

{Note: digression follows: please don't complain to me about being OT if you choose to read further.}

Speaking of Zillow, we are waiting to close on a house we've got a contract on to sell. It's been on the market since last September, and the realtor has been all in a dither for the past six months because their fancy computer program says it's worth X, and the realtor thinks it should have sold immediately for X, but no bids have come in at those levels. We finally got one that suited us and signed a sales contract. Nothing, including our cherished cars or houses, are worth a nickel more than someone will pay for them.