PSA: delay the BB, Mazda 2.2 diesel imminent

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Will be announced @ LA Auto Show, @ dealers circa Q2 '17.

YUUUUGE !!!!

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
If they're paying any attention to the stranded VW buyers, they'll put it in a 6 wagon with an available manual.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I'd be all over a diesel CX5. Due to some changes in my life I've been looking at a gasser model. Hopefully this rumor is true (it's been around for years).

Aj423

TDI
Touareg tdi
It was announced at LA Show last night. I can't wait - may replace my Touareg tdi with 2.2 CX5. Concerns are the usual 1st model year stuff, and Mazda USA experience with diesels.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Links?

Im not seeing ANY reputable news on this.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
It was announced at LA Show last night. I can't wait - may replace my Touareg tdi with 2.2 CX5. Concerns are the usual 1st model year stuff, and Mazda USA experience with diesels.
They've been building diesels in Europe for a while now, so I'd be more concerned with what emissions equipment they'd be using for obvious reasons. I'm curious how they justify the additional expense of the diesel engine vs. the mpg gain against their pretty efficient gassers from a marketing perspective.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Will be announced @ LA Auto Show, @ dealers circa Q2 '17.

YUUUUGE !!!!
my wife's lease of her ford is up about this time and we are looking at the CX-5 or Toyota Rav-4. Thanks for the info on this!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I saw some skeletal human remains at the Mazda dealer parking lot. I was told that they were customers who arrived three years ago to buy Mazda diesels.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Just what change in their emissions system have they made to meet the emissions requirements? Their Euro 6 models don't currently pass european standards that aren't as stringent as US standards.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
after looking at Mazda's website, I'm skeptical that the US will see any other engine than the 2.5l in the CX-5. I guess we will see what the 12:50pm press release says.

North America vehicle press release, see bottom:
http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2017-mazda-cx-5-global-press-materials/

Technology Exhibits, note 2.2 is not listed:
http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2017-mazda-cx-5-to-premiere-at-los-angeles-auto-show/

Actually it just got confirmed that it is coming https://www.mazdausa.com/2017-cx-5-live-stream !! see post below

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I read it meets euro and japan emissions, without urea, and offers a manual tranny in the 5.

It would sell like hotcakes with manual or auto in North America. Just don't hold your breath.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
love the color of that CAR IN THE PRESENTATION ( CANdY APPLE RED?) ANYWAY i was GOING WITH THE FIX.. BUT IF THIS COMES OUT i MAY Change my mind!.. This is great! wonder the price and h.p. torque also mpg's?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
https://www.mazdausa.com/2017-cx-5-live-stream

watching press release live. Just confirmed 2.2l diesel is coming to NA market!!
Will make diesel great again.

Basically, they drop the compression ration down to unheard of, for diesel, 1-14 and claim that NOx production ceases to be an issue. Thus no need need for traps or urea (!)

Dual turbos.

YUUUGE !

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161116/OEM04/311169999/mazda-plans-diesel-cx-5-ev-plug-in-hybrid-under-fuel-efficiency-push

Looks like they're using an scr system to overcome US emission standards.

Read elsewhere that it should make around 180hp and just over 300lb/ft of torque. No fuel economy numbers yet. The gasser already is one of the best in its class so it'll be interesting to see what the difference in mpg and price is. If the price is right it looks like I'll be holding onto my tdi a bit longer and waiting for this to hit the states. Hopefully Mazda dealers aggressively go after TDI owners and offer good incentives and rebates.

Kenn JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I would assume that this new engine has a DPF (and does regenerations). It may or may not also have SCR. It also likely has an HPFP, although maybe more reliable than the one VW used. (Only time will tell). There's also the "small stuff" like exhaust flaps. I'd guess Mazda wouldn't make the icing intercooler mistake.

Given the DPF and SCR alone, and the costs those cause for the vehicle owner over the live of the vehicle, even if they are reliable (unlike the TDI emission system), I don't see how a diesel makes economic sense. The extra mpg benefit is cancelled out, or worse, by the extra maintenance/repair costs for the emissions system. There are still some benefits, of course, such as more miles per tank of fuel, and extra torque.

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
love the color of that CAR IN THE PRESENTATION ( CANdY APPLE RED?) ANYWAY i was GOING WITH THE FIX.. BUT IF THIS COMES OUT i MAY Change my mind!.. This is great! wonder the price and h.p. torque also mpg's?
The 2.2 is available in a couple of different ratings in other countries, but I believe the highest is 173 HP and 310 lb*ft of torque. Those numbers should put a smile on any 2.0 TDI owner's face.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Kogai pitched the diesel CX-5 as being especially suited to snowy northern states, where the vehicle's all-wheel-drive option adds weight that can reduce fuel economy and spunk. The high-torque clean design engine, he said, counters both drawbacks and boosts hill climbing power.
According to current EPA fuel economy spreadsheets (unrounded MPG), AWD causes a +10% fuel burn compared to FWD models when equipped with the same Sky-G 2.5L.

Also the CX-5 is taller than sedans, there's more aero drag, and fuel consumption suffers with higher cruising speeds.

http://autoweek.com/article/los-angeles-auto-show/2017-mazda-cx-5-doesnt-mess-winning-formula
Expected availability is 2nd half of 2017. You know, EPA/CARB will take a while to screen cars for defeat devices.

Last edited: