Offer Letter Just Received

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I just called VW credit and no request has been made on my account. Interesting though is that he suggested that giving VW power of attorney might help speed the process up. Uhhhh, what? I said all of the paperwork is submitted and approved, and he said that there's still a formal request process for payoffs. Completely confused now. I know that there are different divisions within VW, but he said that they are limited to what they can tell non-account owners, even within VW.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I don't get this argument... all the timelines i've seen say they have 10 days for document approval and 10 days to send an offer (i.e. 2 completely separate deadlines), not 20 days for all of it starting nov 1st.

This is a legal settlement, details are important... but please correct me if i am wrong!
Sorry, it all began on Nov 1st... 10 days per from that start date.

[FONT=&quot]The Settlement Agreements went into effect on October 25, 2016, however, the Judge ordered that the claims review process officially commence on November 1, 2016 (five days after the effective date of the approved Agreements). As per the timetables set forth in the Agreements and the Long Form Notice, Volkswagen has 10 business days from then to determine that your claim is complete and eligible, and another 10 business days to issue an award determination. During the second 10 business day period, the Claims Supervisor (Ankura Consulting Group) conducts a review of your claim to verify eligibility and the award determination calculated by Volkswagen.[/FONT]

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Completely confused now. I know that there are different divisions within VW, but he said that they are limited to what they can tell non-account owners, even within VW.
That sort of thing is actually quite common in the corporate world. If nothing else, it would help to protect their customers against identity theft.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
From the PSC:

"There have been some delays in claim processing and the Court has been made aware of those delays. The Court will likely address the issue at the upcoming 11/30/16 Status Conference. VW will process all approved claims and the Court has asked for patience with this issue. We expect that offer letters should be forthcoming shortly. For now you will just have to hang tight. The short answer is that there is no recourse outside of the Court but the court is well aware of the situation."

So, basically, we're at the mercy of VW and their garbage third party and the court isn't going to do anything about the fact that they've failed to fulfill the terms of the settlement from the first possible moment they could.

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
Sorry, it all began on Nov 1st... 10 days per from that start date.

[FONT=&quot]The Settlement Agreements went into effect on October 25, 2016, however, the Judge ordered that the claims review process officially commence on November 1, 2016 (five days after the effective date of the approved Agreements). As per the timetables set forth in the Agreements and the Long Form Notice, Volkswagen has 10 business days from then to determine that your claim is complete and eligible, and another 10 business days to issue an award determination. During the second 10 business day period, the Claims Supervisor (Ankura Consulting Group) conducts a review of your claim to verify eligibility and the award determination calculated by Volkswagen.[/FONT]
This is what I find in the settlement long form...

"Within 10 business days of your submission of a Claim, Volkswagen will notify you whether your Claim is complete.
If it is deficient in any way, Volkswagen will describe the deficiency and provide instructions on how to cure it.
Within 10 business days of notification that an application is complete, Volkswagen will notify you whether you
are eligible for the elected remedy and send you an offer."

The first step is document submission and acceptance... my documents were reviewed and marked as complete as of Nov 2nd.

Therefore, VW now has ten business days to notify me of eligibility and provide my offer (I am now on business day 13).

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
From the PSC:
"There have been some delays in claim processing and the Court has been made aware of those delays. The Court will likely address the issue at the upcoming 11/30/16 Status Conference. VW will process all approved claims and the Court has asked for patience with this issue. We expect that offer letters should be forthcoming shortly. For now you will just have to hang tight. The short answer is that there is no recourse outside of the Court but the court is well aware of the situation."
So, basically, we're at the mercy of VW and their garbage third party and the court isn't going to do anything about the fact that they've failed to fulfill the terms of the settlement from the first possible moment they could.
It means there is a meeting with the judge, the plaintiff attorneys, and the VW attorneys on 11/30. VW is going to present their progress and the plantiff attorneys will present their complaints and the Judge will determine what will happen.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I almost forgot. The VW credit rep also said, you know you have a payment coming due in X amount of days, and you have a 10 day grace period of no late fees, and 30 days until your credit is affected. It was a strange piece of information to offer, but I took it as a sign. Ha

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
"Within 10 business days of your submission of a Claim, Volkswagen will notify you whether your Claim is complete.
If it is deficient in any way, Volkswagen will describe the deficiency and provide instructions on how to cure it.
Within 10 business days of notification that an application is complete, Volkswagen will notify you whether you
The first step is document submission and acceptance... my documents were reviewed and marked as complete as of Nov 2nd.
Therefore, VW now has ten business days to notify me of eligibility and provide my offer (I am now on business day 13).
Yeah I am on day 12. They are clearly not following their obligations in the agreement. I still say why are they verifying loan amounts now. They should do that the day before someone goes in for their buy back appointment.

redbug119

TDI
2011 VW Golf
Getting them into one document

I scanned mine which puts them into a jpg. Then I opened up Word and inserted each jpg into the document. Once I had that done, I saved it to a PDF and uploaded the pdf. Worked fine, I got my date about 6 days later.

I tried downloading a PDF create program, but it was too bulky and a pain in the arse.

Note that I had no loan payoff.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none

I understand that, and mine were accepted on 10/20.. I am just telling you what those higher up from the reps are saying.

csl223

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI, 6sp Manual
I understand that, and mine were accepted on 10/20.. I am just telling you what those higher up from the reps are saying.
Oh ok, I got ya, I've seen it written here earlier too... but as far as I am concerned that is completely baseless as it is not what was agreed to in the settlement.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Oh ok, I got ya, I've seen it written here earlier too... but as far as I am concerned that is completely baseless as it is not what was agreed to in the settlement.
Talking to a settlement lawyer now, and he is also saying Nov 1st as well.

VW really hurt themselves by not communicating this out effectively, but it did start at Nov 1st.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
VW really hurt themselves by not communicating this out effectively, but it did start at Nov 1st.
Even considering November 1st as the start date, they have 10 business days from document approval (or from November 1 if approved prior to that) to produce an offer letter. They're not even doing that.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Even considering November 1st as the start date, they have 10 business days from document approval (or from November 1 if approved prior to that) to produce an offer letter. They're not even doing that.

They have 20 days from Nov 1st..

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat

Exactly. The way it's worded pigeon holes them, and it's their own fault for agreeing to it.

From the system message "will provide you with a final offer, within ten business days" to their phone reps, to their silence, it's all their own doing.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
They have 20 days from Nov 1st..
I understand what you keep posting, but VW itself caused this. Read this carefully "We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Claims Program and, if applicable, will provide you with a final offer, within ten business days."

It's 10 business days from the acceptance day according to their own system. It doesn't provide any other information, so there's nothing there to show context, compare it to, etc. Taken at face value, it's 10 business days from the date of acceptance.

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
They told my they have till Dec 2nd to issue a offer. Dang that's 2 more weeks of waiting and I got green check marks 10/13. I wonder what the judge will do when they say on 11/30 they can't hire enough cashiers/ambassadors/inspectors to be at dealerships.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I understand what you keep posting, but VW itself caused this. Read this carefully "We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Settlement Claims Program and, if applicable, will provide you with a final offer, within ten business days."

It's 10 business days from the acceptance day according to their own system. It doesn't provide any other information, so there's nothing there to show context, compare it to, etc. Taken at face value, it's 10 business days from the date of acceptance.
lol, I don't need to read anything carefully, as they don't have to go by what that snippet says.

I am upset because they did the preliminary work for a number of us, me included, but in reality VW is ignoring that prelim work. Yes, the wording says 10 days, but that isn't what it is.

Call one of the lawyers if you just can't believe what is being said.. Call Seth at 415-956-1000 ext 2332. He is west coast and works from 10-6 his time.

EDIT: i actually sent that very same snippet to him with my initial email..

Last edited:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
According to the text of the settlement as well. Nowhere in there does it say that they have twenty days to approve the docs and determine eligibility. They have up to ten days to approve the docs, and when they do they have ten days to make an offer. If step 1 takes 5 days, they don't get 15 days to do step 2, for example.

Call one of the lawyers if you just can't believe what is being said.. Call Seth at 415-956-1000 ext 2332. He is west coast and works from 10-6 his time.
That's not what the attorney I've been talking to said. She said:

"Class members who successfully uploaded all of their necessary documentation as of Nov. 1 should be getting a notification that their claim is complete by Nov. 15 (10 business days from Nov. 1). They’ll then receive an offer letter 10 business days later, meaning they should anticipate offer letters in the first week of December, if not earlier."

And that jibes with what's in the text of the settlement - offer letter up to ten business days after being notified that their claim is complete.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
According to the text of the settlement as well. Nowhere in there does it say that they have twenty days to approve the docs and determine eligibility. They have up to ten days to approve the docs, and when they do they have ten days to make an offer. If step 1 takes 5 days, they don't get 15 days to do step 2, for example.

That's not what the attorney I've been talking to said. She said:

"Class members who successfully uploaded all of their necessary documentation as of Nov. 1 should be getting a notification that their claim is complete by Nov. 15 (10 business days from Nov. 1). They’ll then receive an offer letter 10 business days later, meaning they should anticipate offer letters in the first week of December, if not earlier."

And that jibes with what's in the text of the settlement - offer letter up to ten business days after being notified that their claim is complete.
that is 20 days, did you read what was being said? from Nov 1st to the 15th is 10 business days

They’ll then receive an offer letter 10 business days later, meaning they should anticipate offer letters in the first week of December, if not earlier.
10 and 10

EDIT: I never said anything about getting things done early, I said they HAVE 20 business day.

Last edited:

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
For those that want to interpret things their way, call the lawyer.

It doesn't matter when you got the approved doc notification. It started on Nov 1st and that is when they started everything regardless of what the web site says.

In other words, on 10/20 I was notified my docs were approved.. that was prelim work by VW.. sounds good, right? Wrong, that prelim work didn't matter, it was like it was never done. That first 10 day period started on Nov 1st.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That first 10 day period started on Nov 1st.
Right, right, I'm with you there. Like, I submitted my documents on 10/6, but in terms of the document approval process I effectively submitted them on 11/1. It wouldn't have mattered if I submitted them in 1975, they had until 11/15 to approve them.

BUT, when they were approved (in my case on 11/7), that second ten day clock started.

When I checked in with the attorney today and said "it's business day 10 after approval and nothing" her response was "there are delays in processing and the court is aware," not "they have until December 2."

Like you said, though, it doesn't really matter because they're going to approve them whenever they get to them, regardless of the actual terms of the settlement.

ETA: Adding insult to injury, when I called my CU today for my daily check on a call from VW for the payoff amount, the lady told me someone called on Friday... and then realized that she was looking at the record of my call to see if anyone had called.

Last edited:

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
lol, I don't need to read anything carefully, as they don't have to go by what that snippet says.

I am upset because they did the preliminary work for a number of us, me included, but in reality VW is ignoring that prelim work. Yes, the wording says 10 days, but that isn't what it is.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's not as black and white as some people believe, and that's VW's own fault.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's not as black and white as some people believe, and that's VW's own fault.
Yeah, I absolutely believe that's VW's interpretation and the one that we'd might as well resign ourselves to because the PSC isn't going to fight it.

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
For those that want to interpret things their way, call the lawyer.

It doesn't matter when you got the approved doc notification. It started on Nov 1st and that is when they started everything regardless of what the web site says.

In other words, on 10/20 I was notified my docs were approved.. that was prelim work by VW.. sounds good, right? Wrong, that prelim work didn't matter, it was like it was never done. That first 10 day period started on Nov 1st.
Tell that to the hundreds of people who have their buyback appointment scheduled. Get your head out of the sand.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Tell that to the hundreds of people who have their buyback appointment scheduled. Get your head out of the sand.
Let's see 400,000 plus buybacks, and we have "hundreds" taken care of to date. Well then we could have thousands by New Years, and maybe 100,000 thousand by next Christmas.

Get your head out of the sand!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Let's see, about 1250 people on the spreadsheet, 311 with settlement letters (and no, I'm not one of them). About 25%. Have some perspective.