Dieselgate - Post Oct 18 Court Hearing

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
You do know how much a turbo replacement, transmission repair, or HPFP repair is, don't you? <snip>
Next time, read my post, please! I don't question anything that you say concerning cost X of fixing problem Y. My point was, NO MALFUNCTION MAKES ANYONE INELIGIBLE FOR THE BUYBACK. There, and I bolded an underlined it.
Fix your car or don't fix it, what it costs is not the issue. Anyone who's that fearful can just park the sucker and wait it out.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Even added loan forgiveness. Eligible sellers get the formula generated money of 50%. There is a bounty on the cars, so the new owner gets the buyback. It restores most of the economic loss incurred by the eligible seller.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I somewhat get "it" on the mileage thing; depreciation, yadda yadda, yadda. However, there is a BIG gap between 12,500 and 40k miles a year and a lot of us fall in the middle.

Before buying my TDI I did LOTS of research (including signing up for this site) and trying to make a wise decision based on my 80mile a day commute to work. At the time, the Passat was the Motor Trend car of the year and receiving quite a bit of praise - specifically for the diesel version. For it's part, VW sure didn't mind playing up the award and advertising their "balance between long range and driving fun."

I say all of that to suggest that -if VW really does have to use the mileage factor at all - they really should have had to put more effort into finding a true average of miles driven by TDI owners and use that for the benchmark rather than use some nationally calculated average. Their marketing catered to people wanting to drive their cars more miles, but now those same people are going to get less in the settlement regardless of how well they kept up with their maintenance, repairs, condition, etc.
They are using the mileage to determine how much the car would be worth at trade-in time. The average mileage is meaningless. If you drive more miles your car is worth less. Than they throw on 6500 dollars for you trouble. If you don't think 6500 dollars is enough than put your complaint there.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Unless you consider 'theft' a catastrophic failure. If you don't have a carcass to turn in, your're SOL, right?
Again, "SOL" is a clear different thing from being "ineligible," which carries legal connotations. There is nothing in the settlement that states that any malfunction or failure, or combination of such, makes one ineligible. Sure, if my car got stolen, I'd be SOL, collect the insurance check, and move on.....but that's what I'd do if any car we've ever owned was stolen, and I see no difference.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
This does not work for every single seller. But overall it works well. Based on the opt outs, the formula is working. Reversion of funds to VW - VW is on the hook for the full amount if everyone participates.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
If that's how they see it, then where's any "extra incentive" for lying to all of us, the govt', treehuggers, etc. Funny
"In addition to the customer payments, Volkswagen (VLKAF) will pay $2.7 billion for environmental cleanup and $2 billion to promote zero-emission vehicles. The clean up money will be used by individual states to cut other diesel emissions by replacing older, government-owned trucks, buses and other diesel engines now in use."

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
If that's how they see it, then where's any "extra incentive" for lying to all of us, the govt', treehuggers, etc. Funny
Oh good grief. Get over it or drop out of the settlement and sue on your own. Enough of the cry baby stuff - PLEASE.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Just a comment - the plaintiff atty. may wrap this up for the defense. She is explaining away all of the objections. Tax /registration refunds. Too hard for government to handle.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Next time, read my post, please! I don't question anything that you say concerning cost X of fixing problem Y. My point was, NO MALFUNCTION MAKES ANYONE INELIGIBLE FOR THE BUYBACK. There, and I bolded an underlined it.
Fix your car or don't fix it, what it costs is not the issue. Anyone who's that fearful can just park the sucker and wait it out.
I read what you wrote. I never said you said a malfunction invalidates possibility for buyback. I asked "who" would want to have to spend money to fix in order to get the buyback. No one I know.

Sure, Anyone can get a buy back as long as they have a driving car. If something high dollar breaks between now and the time this drawn out issue is resolved, they're on the hook for the costs. Luckily I had the ability to park mine. Not everyone has that luxury nor the funds to fix a catastrophic HPFP failure that VW won't stand behind. *shrug*

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
DOJ, FTC, etc. All worked into the settlement by Master Mueller. VW does not want to hear this. This is a negative proposition (regarding possible future fines).

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Oh good grief. Get over it or drop out of the settlement and sue on your own. Enough of the cry baby stuff - PLEASE.
LOL. Sorry... my sarcasm didn't come through in text form. I was speaking "as a whiner who is wanting the scalps of VW". For clarity, I'm perfectly content with the value that I've seen published for my buyback.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
This was a situation that needed to be fixed. Everyone came together. This is not the most perfect thing. (Sounds like she is closing soon)

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
LOL. Sorry... my sarcasm didn't come through in text form. I was speaking "as a whiner who is wanting the scalps of VW". For clarity, I'm perfectly content with the value that I've seen published for my buyback.
LOL - You got me!!!! Sorry.

nextelmatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, 2015 GTI
Judge praising all parties. Opt out rate is less than 1%. More than 99% percent have reviewed or accepted this. Outstanding.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Why is this court hearing taking way too long!? The judge needs to approve this ASAP. Once the approval kicks in, then all of these VW Claim reps are still going to drag their feet. All of those VW Claim Reps and their management are all idiots with their thumbs up their butts. I want my buyback claim ASAP as I want to drive a brand new car. With VW dragging their feet, it makes my plans harder to secure a new car I want to buy and its definitely not VW!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Rubber stamp time is fast approaching. ;)