TDI Owners got the shaft on the Settlement

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
My issue with the settlement terms is with the value they used for the baseline of value for the vehicle. The proper value to have used is NOT the clean "trade in" value, but the clean PRIVATE PARTY value, which is basically the used retail price. If you look at the values on KBB or other valuation sites, the private party value is invariably 3-4 thousand dollars higher than trade in....this is the money I am "out" with this settlement. Even if I accept the fix (if and when it is ever approved), I am still out the difference between the trade in (always a deal for the dealership) and the private party value, since the restitution money is a percentage of the KBB value.

I have written letters to the law firms supposedly representing the owners, the court and VW expressing my dissatisfaction with the pricing that they are using for the buyback/compensation. Consumer Reports agrees with me, since they wrote a very nice article on it, and submitted an amicus curiae brief with the court expressing this very point. The article is HERE, with the PDF brief linked at the end of the article.

I would encourage all other owners to do the same. the address for the law firm and the court is found in the Deiselgate settlement package that was mailed out 2 weeks ago.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
My issue with the settlement terms is with the value they used for the baseline of value for the vehicle. The proper value to have used is NOT the clean "trade in" value, but the clean PRIVATE PARTY value, which is basically the used retail price. If you look at the values on KBB or other valuation sites, the private party value is invariably 3-4 thousand dollars higher than trade in....this is the money I am "out" with this settlement. Even if I accept the fix (if and when it is ever approved), I am still out the difference between the trade in (always a deal for the dealership) and the private party value, since the restitution money is a percentage of the KBB value.

I have written letters to the law firms supposedly representing the owners, the court and VW expressing my dissatisfaction with the pricing that they are using for the buyback/compensation. Consumer Reports agrees with me, since they wrote a very nice article on it, and submitted an amicus curiae brief with the court expressing this very point. The article is HERE, with the PDF brief linked at the end of the article.

I would encourage all other owners to do the same. the address for the law firm and the court is found in the Deiselgate settlement package that was mailed out 2 weeks ago.
If that's the case the solution is simple. Don't sell your car to VW at (greatly inflated) trade-in value. Sell it yourself at full retail value.

That will demonstrate better than all the phone calls and letters to attorneys that you are correct and they are wrong.