MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Depends on your phone, my LG chocolate touch will not sync contacts with my sedan, but my friends android will. So I think it's a stupid Verizon wireless crap or something not allowing 3rd party BT to leach info off the phone, there is literature on verizons web site that lists the BT compatibility and its really small.

When I get a call or make a call the number pops up on the MFD but not the contact name, so it's like half way there.

So when I need to make a call but have my phone in the back seat or something, I just hit the button then yell out the number and ask the nice lady to dial and she gets it right 9/10 times.

So when you pick up a new phone try and have it sync before you buy it, otherwise you might be SOL.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
MKV TDI said:
so, as an update.....I went to my car this morning and noticed that the phone menu was in my MFD before I left. So while I was parked I paired my phone and it started to load. It was loading my contacts and missed calls etc, then it just disappeared and my phone wouldnt connect to the bluetooth the rest of the trip. Could it be a hardware problem? I am getting a new phone in the next couple days so I will start there, but I wonder if there is something wrong with the bluetooth module in the car. It makes no sense why it will be there sometimes but not other times....
I have had this happen with my iPhoney, I would be driving along and bong, the phone was disconnected, then 30 seconds to a minute late it would chime the phone was connected and syncing. then disconnect again, and repeat
This cleared up when I rebooted the phone.
The usual problem is the phone is in need of a reboot for me. Although it seems to be a glitch caused by my starting procedure somedays, if I put the key in the iginition and turn the car on, pause for a minute to adjust the seat or hook the seat belt, then start the car, it seems that during the middle of a sync cycling the power of the bluetooth causes more problems with the phone than the car.

Idahosnoman

TDI
2010 Jetta
2010 Jetta Sedan

For what it's worth, I had my local dealer check my vehicle at the 6k mile mark. I printed out the first page of this thread and gave it to the tech. that was working on my vehicle. Lucky me, he has meddeled with some AUDI's. He was familiar with this, and after reading through a few posts, he agreed to give it a try. 45 minutes later, he came in with my keys and explained that he had tried to activate it but wasn't sure since he was not able to pair his phone. I went out to my car, and tada, it worked. This is awesome.

BIG THANKS TO dzcad90 for the original post.

For those who have a '10 Jetta TDI, my technician said that he would be more than willing to talk with any other VW tech to explain the programming (exactly as described by dzcad90). pm me if you want his number.

bfloyd4445

TDI
2011 Golf 2dr all options
Pelican18TQA4 said:
I'm pretty sure that the law won't help you since it's not mandatory that you talk at all on your cell phone while in the car. The law will tell you that it's your responsibility as the driver to comply with the law and just because your car can connect to your phone via Bluetooth, doesn't mean that you have to use the phone. If you break the law by operating your cell phone in your car because the car doesn't have a completely hands-free Bluetooth device, the onus is on you. There are plenty of states where using a cell phone in a car without a hands-free device is illegal. There are also plenty of cars sold in those states that have Bluetooth devices similar to the '10 Golfs and JSWs.

I understand why people are upset and the fact that various other VW models do offer a completely hands-free Bluetooth experience makes the knife in your back twist that much more. But c'mon, filing a legal complaint against VW? Oh the U.S. and our ever more litigious society. Must we always blame someone else when we're unhappy?

I digress!
The fact of the matter is most people think of bluetooth as hands free and vw markets it that way. For them to sell units that don't live up to that fact is misrepresentation of a product in order to gain sales which is FRAUD. Would be like you going to a vw dealer and he sells you this new kinda car that dosent have wheels but flies and you buy one only to find out it dosent fly but runs fine when you add a set of wheels.
I'd say this would be a good one for a class action suit. Its pretty obvious if other models have the hands free option and golfs dont that maybe they are having trouble acquiring enough modules so r using and older outdated version on the Golf

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
bfloyd4445 said:
The fact of the matter is most people think of bluetooth as hands free and vw markets it that way. For them to sell units that don't live up to that fact is misrepresentation of a product in order to gain sales which is FRAUD. Would be like you going to a vw dealer and he sells you this new kinda car that dosent have wheels but flies and you buy one only to find out it dosent fly but runs fine when you add a set of wheels.

I'd say this would be a good one for a class action suit. Its pretty obvious if other models have the hands free option and golfs dont that maybe they are having trouble acquiring enough modules so r using and older outdated version on the Golf
This is a terrible analogy. Just because someone, or a lot of people THINK something should be a certain way doesn't mean that it is or that they are ENTITLED to something because it's not they way they seem it to be. Around here at least, most people think of Bluetooth as a hands-free earpiece. I don't know of any BT earpiece that allows dialing, or voice guidance. Some allow you to dial via the phone's voice command, but that's entirely dependent on the on the phone.

Every Golf and JSW driver had the opportunity to test drive their cars PRIOR to signing on the line and handing over your hard earned cash. Class action? Are you folks out of your minds? Nobody was promised anything that they didn't get and every buyer had the opportunity to test and accept the vehicle prior to buying.

It seems this only becomes important AFTER people find out that there's a better solution available. If it's really that important, save your time, hassle and headache and buy the 9W3 module. It's about $300 online. Sell your old module on eBay and recoup some of the cost.

Last edited:

abedauhajre

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI Candy White with 17" Smoked Khertoum Wheels
Consumers have rights

dzcad90 said:
This is a terrible analogy. Just because someone, or a lot of people THINK something should be a certain way doesn't mean that it is or that they are ENTITLED to something because it's not they way they seem it to be. Around here at least, most people think of Bluetooth as a hands-free earpiece. I don't know of any BT earpiece that allows dialing, or voice guidance. Some allow you to dial via the phone's voice command, but that's entirely dependent on the on the phone.

Every Golf and JSW driver had the opportunity to test drive their cars PRIOR to signing on the line and handing over your hard earned cash. Class action? Are you folks out of your minds? Nobody was promised anything that they didn't get and every buyer had the opportunity to test and accept the vehicle prior to buying.

It seems this only becomes important AFTER people find out that there's a better solution available. If it's really that important, save your time, hassle and headache and buy the 9W3 module. It's about $300 online. Sell your old module on eBay and recoup some of the cost.
The problem is that when you go to the dealership to test drive a vehicle first the salesperson is hurrying you up after a simple test drive to the sales table to make a deal and based on the literature given on the sales brochure it clearly states handsfree communication.

Second, VW on their brochures do not differentiate between the 9w2 and 9w3 on the sedan and SW, I work a lot on the street and receive a lot of calls and with the 9w2 I cannot even see who's calling me. this is just absurd, there are lesser quality vehicles that have the full function BT system.

Third, the user manual that is given by VW when you purchase the vehicle clearly states that you will have certain capabilities and said brochure states that is for the Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen Golf wagon and it does not says if you have a JSW your BT capabilities are going to be certain. All that it says is that if you have the RNS-10 radio and multi function steering wheel these are the functions available. That's clearly a misrepresentation and VWOA should resolve this problem.

I just contacted my sales person and inform him the situation, since they do not know jack about the whole situation, and they under Puerto Rico law if there's a misrepresentation from the Dealer or Manufacturer they are in violation of the law.

This situation is not caused by the buyer but by the Dealership and the manufacturer, I'm not saying that they did intentionally probably was an error in production, but certainly they have to address the issue because if I just spent almost $40,000 in a vehicle and do not have a feature that I'm supposed to have, I'm sure not going to pay more money for a screw up from VW.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
...Third, the user manual that is given by VW when you purchase the vehicle clearly states that you will have certain capabilities...
Actually, what it says is that not all features are present in all models in all markets, which effectively wipes out the entire argument.

-dan

abedauhajre

TDI
New Info from VWOA

I just spoke with VWOA and they informed me that the Dealership was supposed to inform me of the limited capabilites of BT.

This is just absurd. I still do not get why a vehicle that is more expensive than the Jetta Sedan gets less equipment.

I guess now the dealership will have to respond for their lack of information as VWOA informs.

I will like to know if the 9w3 module will work with the Premium 8 radio with no phone button.

abedauhajre

TDI
danham said:
Actually, what it says is that not all features are present in all models in all markets, which effectively wipes out the entire argument.

-dan
Even though it states that sentence then it says that the for applicability to a certain vehicle there will be a footnote as to that information and it says that if you have the RNS-10 then all functions are available.

Anyways, now VWOA says that this information was supposed to be notified by the dealership.

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
At my dealer's request (they must be sick of hearing about it) I have lodged a complaint with VW Canada about the fact that they failed to disclose the limitations of the device when they sold it to me, provided misleading literature in the car, and, last but not least, have not made the car legal here in Ontario, where hands-free does not mean initiating the call from a cell phone. We'll see what happens...:rolleyes:

Damn True

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
abedauhajre said:
I just spoke with VWOA and they informed me that the Dealership was supposed to inform me of the limited capabilites of BT.

This is just absurd. I still do not get why a vehicle that is more expensive than the Jetta Sedan gets less equipment.

I guess now the dealership will have to respond for their lack of information as VWOA informs.

I will like to know if the 9w3 module will work with the Premium 8 radio with no phone button.
The dealership was supposed to, but they didn't.

See post #100

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
abedauhajre said:
The problem is that when you go to the dealership to test drive a vehicle first the salesperson is hurrying you up after a simple test drive to the sales table to make a deal and based on the literature given on the sales brochure it clearly states handsfree communication.

Second, VW on their brochures do not differentiate between the 9w2 and 9w3 on the sedan and SW, I work a lot on the street and receive a lot of calls and with the 9w2 I cannot even see who's calling me. this is just absurd, there are lesser quality vehicles that have the full function BT system.

Third, the user manual that is given by VW when you purchase the vehicle clearly states that you will have certain capabilities and said brochure states that is for the Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen Golf wagon and it does not says if you have a JSW your BT capabilities are going to be certain. All that it says is that if you have the RNS-10 radio and multi function steering wheel these are the functions available. That's clearly a misrepresentation and VWOA should resolve this problem.

I just contacted my sales person and inform him the situation, since they do not know jack about the whole situation, and they under Puerto Rico law if there's a misrepresentation from the Dealer or Manufacturer they are in violation of the law.

This situation is not caused by the buyer but by the Dealership and the manufacturer, I'm not saying that they did intentionally probably was an error in production, but certainly they have to address the issue because if I just spent almost $40,000 in a vehicle and do not have a feature that I'm supposed to have, I'm sure not going to pay more money for a screw up from VW.

When you buy a car, you buy it equipped as it sits. If you were forced to take a hurried up test drive, then shame on you for letting this happen. If I'm going to buy a car, I'm taking it out for a drive and testing everything that's important to me on my time. If a salesman tried that with me, I'd find a different dealer. No other dealers? I'd find a different sales person then.

If this is such an important feature to a buyer of the car, it's important to test it out before buying. It's not a mistake or a screw up by VW. If it were only your car that came out with a 9W2, but all other JSW / Golf cars came with a 9W3 module, you'd have a beef. This isn't a mistake, it's just how VW designed the different cars. My owners manual references features that were not available on my car like HID lights.. Am I entitled to them?

Keep in mind that the 9W3 module does not display CID information on the MFD unless the module is programmed in a manner different than the factory intended. If you happen to have an RNS-510, it will display that information on the RNS as it comes from the factory. JSW/Golf cars do have "Handsfree Communication." Can you speak on your phone without holding it during a conversatoin? Yes. Technically on my 9W3 equipped sedan, I have to use my finger, which is a part of my hand, to push the button on my MFSW to answer the call. Technically this isn't handsfree. Maybe I should call my legal team....

Look, I understand that this situation isn't the best, but it's the way it is. VW designs the Jetta Sedan, Golf, and JSW with different options. You get a hell of a lot more car in a JSW for not that much more money. I agree that the cost differential on the handsfree module probably isn't a whole lot, but when you cost that out over an entire production run it adds up to be huge money. Every time they can save a few dollars, they will. The car was sold with handsfree communication, and that's what was delivered. Three entirely different cars, each sold with different available options.

To answer your question, the 9W3 module will work with the RCD-510, however you do not get any visual feedback from the phone. No CID, no phone book, no operator information, no signal strength. Just audio from the phone sent through the speaker system and the phone indicator that appears on the radio. Only the RNS-510 gets to interact with the BT module.

abedauhajre

TDI
dzcad90 said:
When you buy a car, you buy it equipped as it sits. If you were forced to take a hurried up test drive, then shame on you for letting this happen. If I'm going to buy a car, I'm taking it out for a drive and testing everything that's important to me on my time. If a salesman tried that with me, I'd find a different dealer. No other dealers? I'd find a different sales person then.

If this is such an important feature to a buyer of the car, it's important to test it out before buying. It's not a mistake or a screw up by VW. If it were only your car that came out with a 9W2, but all other JSW / Golf cars came with a 9W3 module, you'd have a beef. This isn't a mistake, it's just how VW designed the different cars. My owners manual references features that were not available on my car like HID lights.. Am I entitled to them?

Keep in mind that the 9W3 module does not display CID information on the MFD unless the module is programmed in a manner different than the factory intended. If you happen to have an RNS-510, it will display that information on the RNS as it comes from the factory. JSW/Golf cars do have "Handsfree Communication." Can you speak on your phone without holding it during a conversatoin? Yes. Technically on my 9W3 equipped sedan, I have to use my finger, which is a part of my hand, to push the button on my MFSW to answer the call. Technically this isn't handsfree. Maybe I should call my legal team....

Look, I understand that this situation isn't the best, but it's the way it is. VW designs the Jetta Sedan, Golf, and JSW with different options. You get a hell of a lot more car in a JSW for not that much more money. I agree that the cost differential on the handsfree module probably isn't a whole lot, but when you cost that out over an entire production run it adds up to be huge money. Every time they can save a few dollars, they will. The car was sold with handsfree communication, and that's what was delivered. Three entirely different cars, each sold with different available options.

To answer your question, the 9W3 module will work with the RCD-510, however you do not get any visual feedback from the phone. No CID, no phone book, no operator information, no signal strength. Just audio from the phone sent through the speaker system and the phone indicator that appears on the radio. Only the RNS-510 gets to interact with the BT module.
I'm not saying that I'm entitled, what I'm saying is that they should have informed me of the difference. In that case I might had bought the sedan instead of the JSW. Now in the sales brochure does not states that there's no difference between the capabilities of each vehicle.

Hey I'm happy with the car besides this situation. But they should inform better. Why do I've to test the bluetooth feature when the sales brochure standard that I have the hands free calling and that is standard feature. Now if they would have said such model the BT capabilities are limited then well that's a different case and it would be a shame if I didn't test the handsfree system. I mean this is a simple thing if I'm paying a premium price for a vehicle at least they should inform better.

Anyways, I'm not in this forum to fight with no one, I guess I needed a channel to let go of my frustration.

From the search that I've done with the 9w3 module and the RCD-510 I'll have at least the phone directory and the caller id, which are the most important things, besides that I do not care for the voice commnds nor the BT audio streaming.

nofossil

TDI
2010 JSW
To me, this is very simple. IANAL, but I think it's reasonable to expect that anything that you buy matches the form/fit/function specifications in the literature. For something as complex as a car, it is manifestly NOT reasonable to say that it's the buyer's responsibility to check for the presence of every feature.

Keep in mind that in the US, the sales literature says that hands-free calling is standard equipment on the TDI JSW. This is not some random item mentioned in the owner's manual that's only available in some other country - it's an advertised feature that's listed as standard equipment.

I didn't check that the car actually has 4 wheel ABS or heated mirrors or that the sheet metal is galvanized. VW says that those features are standard on my model, so I expect them to be present. Same with hands-free calling.

For some of us, cell phone use is very important, and hands-free calling is required by law or by employer policy. If VW decided to drop a standard feature, they should make it absolutely clear - especially for something like this that's really impractical to evaluate on a test drive.

Bottom line is that VW appears to have handled this poorly.

abedauhajre

TDI
Feedback from dealer

nofossil said:
To me, this is very simple. IANAL, but I think it's reasonable to expect that anything that you buy matches the form/fit/function specifications in the literature. For something as complex as a car, it is manifestly NOT reasonable to say that it's the buyer's responsibility to check for the presence of every feature.
Keep in mind that in the US, the sales literature says that hands-free calling is standard equipment on the TDI JSW. This is not some random item mentioned in the owner's manual that's only available in some other country - it's an advertised feature that's listed as standard equipment.
I didn't check that the car actually has 4 wheel ABS or heated mirrors or that the sheet metal is galvanized. VW says that those features are standard on my model, so I expect them to be present. Same with hands-free calling.
For some of us, cell phone use is very important, and hands-free calling is required by law or by employer policy. If VW decided to drop a standard feature, they should make it absolutely clear - especially for something like this that's really impractical to evaluate on a test drive.
Bottom line is that VW appears to have handled this poorly.
After my call with VWOA, I went to the dealership and told them what VWOA said and they were surprised at the least with the reaction from VWOA. They had no knowledge of the different modules. We went through a couple of different vehicles sticker descriptions and they all said. Bluetooth phone connectivity and then showed them the sales brochure and it states handfree calling as standard equipment for the JSW TDI same description as the Jetta sedan SEL so they informed me that they are going to arrange a telephone conference with VWOA and will help me to solve the situation.

Last edited:

abedauhajre

TDI
After my call with VWOA, I went to the dealership and told them what VWOA said and they were at the least with the reaction from VWOA. They had no knowledge of the different modules. We went thru a couple of vehicles sticker descriptions and they all said. Bluetooth phone connectivity and then showed them the sales brochure and it states handfree calling as standard equipment for the JSW TDI same description as the Jetta sedan SEL so they informed me that they are going to arrange a telephone conference with VWOA and will help me to solve the situation.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
Ok I have a question.

I have a new 2010 Jetta Sedan. It has the Bluetooth and the Sirius radio with Media Device interface for iPod intergration.

I paired up my phone (Virgin Mobile LG Flare) to the car and it downloaded the phone book when I 1st connected the phone to the car. Now after I left the car and came back I can not see the phone book. But I can redial recent calls to the phone. I can not seem to answer incoming calls by pushing the phone button on the steering wheel or any button :( I haven't tried voice dialing yet.

Im going to try and use my wives phone.

UPDATE:
My wives phone works fine with the car. She has a Verizon MOTO 766. I like my pay as you go plan on my Virgin phone as I have never spent my $20 in call on it (Minute to Minute Plan) ever and always carry a balance. I may upgrade to a Rumor 2 or Rumor Touch. Does anyone here have a Rumor 2 or Rumor Touch ? Does it work fine in a Jetta?

Last edited:

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
TOCleanDieselWag said:
At my dealer's request (they must be sick of hearing about it) I have lodged a complaint with VW Canada about the fact that they failed to disclose the limitations of the device when they sold it to me, provided misleading literature in the car, and, last but not least, have not made the car legal here in Ontario, where hands-free does not mean initiating the call from a cell phone. We'll see what happens...:rolleyes:
I've now heard back from them, and they have turned me down flat. Seems that they are faulting the dealer for not explaining the limited capabilities of the system, and they are also advising against retrofitting the car with another module. They are putting it back in the lap of the dealer - and saying all the while that any modifications would void the warrantee.

Not very happy about this, but I'm fed up of kicking and screaming about this - I'll just write it up to experience and live with it.... :mad:

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
TOCleanDieselWag said:
I've now heard back from them, and they have turned me down flat. Seems that they are faulting the dealer for not explaining the limited capabilities of the system, and they are also advising against retrofitting the car with another module. They are putting it back in the lap of the dealer - and saying all the while that any modifications would void the warrantee.

Not very happy about this, but I'm fed up of kicking and screaming about this - I'll just write it up to experience and live with it.... :mad:
We just purchased a 2010 JSW TDI and had the same inexperience from at least four different dealerships. Quotes like: "if it has NAV, it has everything" - "the Jetta's ALL have voice commands, but you need the NAV system for phonebook uploading". But my fav was: "yes, it has voice commands and phonebooks, and after we do all the paperwork a specialist will show you." That last one was pretty sad, cause' we were actually IN the car, wanting the salesman to show us how it worked BEFORE signing the contracts.
It would appear two things are apparent: one, that no dealer's have a clue how their product works, or two, they know and are defrauding their customers.
As far as the "manual" having clear indications, it isn't often you get access to a manual BEFORE you pay. The U.S. brochure is clearly in error, in two places, as are parts of the manual.
VW USA messed up big time here, and now they are doing damage control, which means not admitting any wrong-doing. Your best and only hope is to pressure the dealer who sold the car by misreprenting it, and by not driving it off the lot until you are happy, or they kill the deal. Dealers are just that; dealers. They will wheel and deal if done right. Offer to buy the part in exchange for "free" stuff that equals the price - extended warranties - free service coupons - it's a pain, but it's possible.

TDILOU

TDI
Golf 2010
I am a new Golf TDI owner and am a bit confused about the bluetooth issue. I have the 9W2 module. When I look on the VW website at the various trims, it appears that bluetooth is standard on the TDI, yet my sticker shows it as a $199 option? Also if you build a car on the website, bluetooth is not an add on, so why the $199 cost? Anyone else confused over standard equipment that has a cost associated with it? I, like many others, do not think the 9W2 is adequate. I am working with the service department where I purchased the car to see if they can possible switch out the 9W2 for the 9W3 or 9W7.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
TDILOU said:
I am a new Golf TDI owner and am a bit confused about the bluetooth issue. I have the 9W2 module. When I look on the VW website at the various trims, it appears that bluetooth is standard on the TDI, yet my sticker shows it as a $199 option? Also if you build a car on the website, bluetooth is not an add on, so why the $199 cost? Anyone else confused over standard equipment that has a cost associated with it? I, like many others, do not think the 9W2 is adequate. I am working with the service department where I purchased the car to see if they can possible switch out the 9W2 for the 9W3 or 9W7.
The 9w2 bluetooth on the 2010 Golf TDI was a Factory Forced option. they charge you for the option but you cannot order it without it...
(I upgraded mine to the 9w3 module, and use the steering wheel and head unit dialing all the time, but plan to get the 9w7 module eventually)

TDILOU

TDI
Golf 2010
Is there any difference between the 9W3 and 9W7 other than the ability to stream music? What is the cost of the two units?

Thanks!

tuck

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I have a 9w3 that my dealer fixed for me using vagcom back in february but it has recently stopped working. bt works via voice commands but the mfi says no phone paired. On monday when I turned on my car my stereo had a pop up message about heat. the thermometer read 109f. I guess I need to take it back to the dealer.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think this has come up before, but I did some quick searching and was unable to find the right thread. Might want to add this to the bottom of the FAQ:

To put the Bluetooth module back into discovery mode once the car has been started and running for a while, double-click the phone button on the stereo. You can then pair the phone with the car. (I would imgaine this would work with the overhead phone button as well - although I haven't tested it yet)

flyflick

TDI
2010 JSW
Does anyone know how to go from car BT back to just phone

Scenario,

I get a call or make a call and proceed to talk using bluetooth,
but now I want to have a private conversation. (i.e. not broadcast
to the whole car) How can I do this?

I have a 2010 JSW with buttons on the steering wheel.

Also is there a way to sometimes answer a call without
bluetooth even though they've already paired-up?

I've read my bluetooth manual, and have not found
anything except for turning the car off....

Thanks in advance,

Eric

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW

Here in California, after a bit of a battle, the dealer sucked up the cost for a 9W7 unit, which gives us streaming audio, voice prompts for Bluetooth, and the much-needed phonebook for the RNS-510 nav unit. Not all dealers are likely the same, we just got lucky (Fladeboe). The 9W7 popped right in where the 9W2 was, and needed no coding to work, other than one or two lines for the MFSW, and that enabled the steering wheel mute button to become a voice activation button. Also, in the 2010 JSW, the overhead buttons still work. Only the overhead status lights have been disabled. It's just a matter of time before someone figures out the coding for those.
Lets face it - VW advertised these features rather boldly in their brochures and parts of the manuals. Salespeople had no clue they didn't work. For VW to refuse to right the error, they are on borderline class-action territory.

tuck

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Scenario,
Thanks in advance,
Eric
The easiest way I've found is to do it from the phone.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Scenario,
Thanks in advance,
Eric
See below. That was explained to me in another thread.

The MFSW's MICROPHONE/PTT button activates the 9W7 and mutes the radio.

If you press the MICROPHONE/PTT button during an active call, the car's microphone and speaker are deactivated while your phone's own microphone and earpiece are activated so you can have a normal telephone call. Press the PTT again and you're using the car's BT speaker and microphone again.

abedauhajre

TDI
Information

Here in California, after a bit of a battle, the dealer sucked up the cost for a 9W7 unit, which gives us streaming audio, voice prompts for Bluetooth, and the much-needed phonebook for the RNS-510 nav unit. Not all dealers are likely the same, we just got lucky (Fladeboe). The 9W7 popped right in where the 9W2 was, and needed no coding to work, other than one or two lines for the MFSW, and that enabled the steering wheel mute button to become a voice activation button. Also, in the 2010 JSW, the overhead buttons still work. Only the overhead status lights have been disabled. It's just a matter of time before someone figures out the coding for those.
Lets face it - VW advertised these features rather boldly in their brochures and parts of the manuals. Salespeople had no clue they didn't work. For VW to refuse to right the error, they are on borderline class-action territory.
Tv Master:

Can you send me information on how you got the dealer to fix the situation. My dealer after saying that they were going to help me they contacted VW and they said that the vehicle had the correct module for the model. Now they were asking if I found information regarding other dealers doing the replacement.

I'm giving VW or the dealer to fix the situation, otherwise I'm going to the consumer affairs agency with my complaint for misleading representation in advertising.