Stealth TDI Still Kicking...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Wouldn't it be great if you could still buy that car new for that price? I know it doesn't meet any current regulations but I'd be all over it.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1.9 TDi DSG (Mk.V) 2008 - RIP
Scott, like your car and your website a lot. How much longer do you expect to keep your current TDI for? 375k miles is amazing!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks!

I expect to keep the car for quite a while. It has virtually no rust (with the exception of two TINY spots I removed last weekend), has been trouble-free for the most part, and has *only* 345k miles. ;) Every now and then I wish I had power windows. And sometimes I wish the interior was a tad more quiet. But the truth is my car is quicker than the newest TDIs, gets better economy, and is paid for. Additionally, I really don't roll down the windows that much and quiet interiors don't mask the little squeaks that WILL eventually surface. I'm sure my car has a few. :D

Perhaps some day I'll get a 2003. But I'm in no rush. By the time I can afford one, I won't want one. :D I'm hoping there will be something better by then. Until then, I enjoy not having a car payment.

Scott

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Thanks!

I expect to keep the car for quite a while. It has virtually no rust (with the exception of two TINY spots I removed last weekend), has been trouble-free for the most part, and has *only* 345k miles. ;) Every now and then I wish I had power windows. And sometimes I wish the interior was a tad more quiet. But the truth is my car is quicker than the newest TDIs, gets better economy, and is paid for. Additionally, I really don't roll down the windows that much and quiet interiors don't mask the little squeaks that WILL eventually surface. I'm sure my car has a few. :D

Perhaps some day I'll get a 2003. But I'm in no rush. By the time I can afford one, I won't want one. :D I'm hoping there will be something better by then. Until then, I enjoy not having a car payment.

Scott
You already have the best year tdi Scott. Having owned a 2003 and contrary to popular misconception, the 1998 is a much nicer vehicle. Let the ladies have their power windows :D real men know how to use a window crank!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've slowly come to the same conclusion with IBW. I'm about 100K behind you but have decided to keep the car as long as it continues to provide reliable service and doesn't rust out from under me. After owning an A5, and spending some time in the new cars, I really like A4s the most. And like the A3, I don't think the A4 wagon will look particularly out-of-date anytime soon. I've decided I'll try for 400K and then make a decision about what to do next.

Problem is I don't drive nearly as much as I used to. Might have it for a long, long time.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I've been playing in the monthly mileage competitions and driving for economy in OCT and NOV. All I can say is WOW! I just completed my best tank ever: 909.1 miles on 14.558 gallons for 62.4 mpg! It's hard to imagine getting any better than that without being a nuisance to other drivers. I expect to return to most of my "normal" driving habits soon. "Hypermiling" and holiday shopping traffic just don't work well together anyhow. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This is an inspiration for me to keep IBW going. I drove oilhammer's '00 Golf with 369K on last weekend and was impressed by how smooth and rattle-free it was. These cars, if cared for, certainly go the distance.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Passed 350,000 miles this morning

:)

Wait a minute, I'm ahead of you in mileage? I thought I was a few thousand behind you. I'm at 352,000 miles now, but mine is only averaging around 48 mpg this time of year.

I still need to order one of those badges, but the Odin skid plate comes first (on the way), there are TONS of icebergs on the roads this time of year. Love the car, keep up the GREAT work.

Do you use additives?

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Ha! The digital odometer only counts to 300k? Thats great.

Just wayyy to many bits required to program in odo counting to a million, I guess. :)

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Love your car, and makes me miss mine more. I am at 150k now, trying to catch up...

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, guys!

Yes, I use additives. I use PS in the silver bottle during the summer and the white bottle during the winter. The odometer only counts to 299,999 miles and then returns to 0. I've read somewhere that it'll freeze at 0 when it rolls over the second time. At that point, if the car's still around, I'll have to count miles via the trip odometer. By my estimations, the car will be 23 years old at my rate of driving before I'll know first hand if that's true. ;)

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats very impressive.

BTW when are you going to fix your grill?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing wrong with the grille if you're referring to the blackened area in the recent photo. I wrapped it in vinyl to block airflow for the winter:

:) Getting the vinyl smooth proved impossible since the grille curves with varying degrees in two directions. But it still looks better than the foam I had stuff in there.

Now the fitment of that particular aftermarket grille is unsat. You might be able to see how the lower driver's side keeps popping out. I bought this grille years ago and didn't test fit it before storing it. The company's out of business. Good for them! I will replace the grille with a better piece and store this one for winter use only.

Scott

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahhh that explains it, didn't look at the picture closely. So I thought it was still broken as I'd seen saw post by you last year about how the grill was missing.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
hey stealth, its nice to see you have gotten so much use from that car, love it, hope mine last 10 more years. you have a good one

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
Thanks for the notes, guys!

The car's over 12 years old with over 340,000 miles now. Other than rusty chips in the hood, I also have two spots of bubbled paint that need care. One is in the fuel filler (common) and the other is on a seam in the passenger door jamb. I'll probably sand them down and spot primer them just to keep the rust from spreading. Perhaps I'll find a "dentless paint wizard" who can touch up small spots with an airbrush.

The car's not quite the showcar it once was. But it's still a good looking ride, particularly for its age. I've backed off on the constant changes and/or improvements. My priorities have shifted in other directions. So I'm enjoying the car and just driving it every day. My new boss has a MINI Cooper S and likes to brag about his economy. His bubble burst when I told him what I'm getting, especially now that I'm using less AC. :cool:

Scott
I'll call this an understatement. :) Your car (especially the interior pics) are cleaner than cars on dealer lots, rust spots or not.

Congratulations on such an awesome car.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hello,

I decided to pursue an option that puts the GPS antenna outside. I tripped over a new mount by Larsen called the NMOHFGPS. It features an NMO mount coupled with a built-in GPS antenna. Since my Byonics GPS2 is a receiver and antenna built into one unit, I decided I would build a GPS2 into an NMOHFGPS. I bought an NMOHFGPS and wasted no time getting into it to see if my idea would work:

Overview...

The bottom...

I wasn't thrilled about the need to drill another little hole to accept this mount. The pin is to prevent the mount from rotating in the standard 3/4" hole. I don't suppose a second hole matters if it stays covered forever. ;)

Peeling back the foam gasket reveals the bolts/screws which hold it together...

The gasket, bolts, and screws removed...

Oddly enough, it took a lot of work to get this open. Larsen seals it with black RTV before screwing it shut.

The GPS antenna appears to be about the same size as Byonics' GPS2. My goal is to replace this antenna with the GPS2 and then run the serial cable in lieu of the included coax. I also want to see if I can snake a different NMO mount with shorter coax and attached mini-UHF connector.

The left piece is made from aluminum, the center piece is plastic married to a metal hold-down bolt, and the radome is plastic...

A closer look at the plastic/metal marriage...

To be continued...

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
GPS2 disassembled and installed in place of the NMOHFGPS antenna...

Mounted...

Underside...

With trim piece installed...

I still need to solder my RF connections and attach another bonding strap. But this didn't turn out bad for an after-work project. :)

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I finally finished up the new work on the ham station. Here's a look during the project:

After:

The real goodies are always out of sight:

Left to Right - HF/VHF duplexer (for CB/scanner antenna sharing), Byonics TinyTrak3+ APRS position encoder, 300W voltage inverter, the "brain" for the VHF/UHF ham radio, a 200-watt stereo amplifier (for sub only), a ground block, a fuse block, and power distribution.

I FEEL like I'm done. But, like diesel tuning, there's always a better thing to try... ;) But this is good for at least a couple of years. :p

Scott

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Damn. I have to show my brother this, he's big into HAM, and has a remote setup for backpacking, in additon to all the other stuff. I think his NET is on Sunday nights around 7.

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks good, I don't know much about HAM radio but it looks impressive. Is all that stuff under the seat screwed down or did you use double-sided tape?

I had a quick Google about APRS, still not too sure I understand it, how would you use it in a day to day application?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't want to pierce the body to the outside of the car. So the equipment is secured with GOOP. I use separate bonding straps to ensure each piece is properly bonded/grounded.

Regarding the daily use of APRS, I'm not using it to its full potential. Some folks transmit messages and data on and off all day long. I only transmit my position and a brief message on how to contact me (which someone did just today as they noticed my visit to Augusta). As one who transmits position data only and has no ability to receive a message, I'm what's known as a "tracker." The practical use of a tracker is in event coordination where I am perhaps following runners/riders, calling in accidents, or other information-passing tasks where a coordinator may need to see my precise location without me having to report it over voice channels.

How do *I* use APRS every day? I guess I don't. The only benefit to me running my equipment each day is to ensure it works when needed (which is how I found a GPS fault), learn how to optimize my own settings to maximize performance, exercise the systems receiving my signal, and to allow my wife to see where I am, especially on distant trips such as my current voyage. APRS really is more than position reporting. But I don't use it beyond that since I only use my radios when I'm in the car.

Scott

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
That makes it clearer thanks for the explanation, sounds like a cool system. Although I'm not so sure I'd want my wife knowing where I am all the time! Heh heh...

One of these days I'd like to get a HAM license. One of my dad's friends has a license and has an antenna tower in his garden that raises up and down, controlled from his room, impressive to say the least.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
HAHA! I don't think my wife looks that much even though I put a shortcut on her desktop. It hasn't been a problem. I can either turn off the transceiver to hide my location or say, "Yes, I AM at a buddy's place, as you can plainly see. SO WHAT!?!?" :p I don't like talking on the phone when I'm driving; and I certainly won't answer a text. If all she wants to know is where I am and when I might be home for dinner, then I've given her the ability to take a peek and check out my speed to see if I'm stuck in traffic. :cool:

BTW, the accuracy is often pretty good:

The GPS unit itself is accurate to a very small distance. The limitation is the hosting site's rounding of the GPS data during the plot. This photo shows about a 20-ft error. I've seen as much as 50-ft off, depending on which was the system rounds my data. But it's still VERY good!

Scott

agxster

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't like talking much either when driving and especially after a long day at work. That system would be perfect for me and the wife! :D

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
I FINALLY installed my first set of aftermarket wheels in 13 years of ownership:

The wheels are ACT/Ronal LS in 15x7.5". The tires pictured are 225/45R15 Hankook Ventus R-S3 "extreme performance summer" tires. I have two sets of them. The other set needs refinishing. I'll mount some 205/50R15s, the narrowest tire that'll fit, when time and money allows. :)

I think the car could look better about 1/2" lower... well... an INCH lower. ;) But I'm going to resist since I know what happens to the ride quality at that point. :p Then again, I may do it since I know the ride's not terrible. Next step is to get an OEM Vento grille. :cool: OH - I still need to install my Colt cam! :eek:

Scott

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Scott, does hiding all the electronics under the rear seat make them get too hot?

Want to sell a set of those Le Castellet wheels :D

-J