2002 VW Jetta TDI GLS Sedan, $8500 obo, Lansing, Michigan

NanoMonkey

TDI
ex:Jetta, 2002, Silver
2002 VW Jetta TDI GLS Sedan in Lansing, Michigan

Sold!

Extremely clean, well cared for TDI. Timing belt changed on schedule. This TDI would take very little to be perfect.

2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI

• ~240,000 miles (98% highway commute, approximately 70 miles one-way)
  • Owned by two TDIClub members
  • Has always had fuel additives for each tank of diesel (powerservice/stanadyne)
  • Has run excellent-quality biodiesel since ~75,000 miles (80% of the time B20 blended by Wacker Oil)
  • Timing belts changed at 89,000 & 197,000 miles – changed all idler rollers with second belt (dieselgeek 100k complete kit)
  • Water pump replaced at the same time as each timing belt
  • Dual-mass flywheel replaced with solid flywheel and new clutch at aprox. 210,000
  • Oil changes every 10,000 miles with either Delvac1 (Mobile1 Truck & SUV) or RotellaT 5w40 (90% of the oil used in this car has been Delvac1)
  • Cat 2 micron fuel filter installed at 50,000 miles and changed regularly
  • Both engine mounts replaced recently, one with last timing belt and the other with flywheel
  • Battery replaced in November 2009 with high CCA battery. (same CCA as previous battery that lasted 5 years, so I expect this to last for another 5)
  • PP520 nozzles installed at 235,000 miles
  • I normally drive 75 mph on the freeway and have documented 45 mpg average over the last 25,000 miles.
  • Coolant migration fix implemented at 60,000 miles.
  • MAF replaced at 235,000 miles

Exterior:

• Reflex Silver
  • Heated mirrors work properly, always turned off when not needed
  • 4 Summer tires on original VW aluminum rims. Sumitomo HTR 200 tires with 60% tread remaining(6/32“)
  • Brake pads and rotors replaced at 220,000 miles with ATE rotors in the front and Mintex red box pads front and rear. Brake fluid has been regularly changed – alternating ATE super blue and ATE Typ 200.
  • Currently riding on Bilstein TC struts in the front and Monroe SensaTrac shocks in the back, original VW springs. Set of Bilstein TC shocks for the rear included – I didn't care for them so I replaced them with the SensaTracs.
  • Audi TT lower control arm bushings on the front installed at 225,000 miles
  • Plug-in Electric Coolant Heater
  • Rear brake lights and running lights replaced with LEDs, five brake light mod performed (added two additional LEDs where European rear fogs could go)
  • Snow screen removed - using cold weather air filters.

Interior:

• Black leather that has been properly cared for. Only two small problems in the interior – a small puncture in the rear seat and some minor wear on the front bolster.
  • Seat heaters work nicely, never left on for too long.
  • Monster mats front and back
  • Phatbox MP3 player with 120 GB DMS hard drive – original manual, original CD (needed to activate the PhatNoise Music Manager), and original 20 GB hard drive included. Modified to play ogg vorbis and FLAC files.
  • Non-smoking owners, no pets, no kids.

The Bad:

• ~12“ scratch underneath the passenger door. Most people don't notice it unless I point it out.
  • The paint on the front bumper and leading edge of the hood is looking rough from age (stone chips and bugs také their toll). Nothing out of the ordinary and no accidents, but it's a high-mileage car. It is likely in better shape than most cars with this many miles, but it does have some paint blemishes.
  • Driver's side mirror has a discolored spot approximately 1“x4“ in the lower left. It does reduce visibility, but the way my mirrors are adjusted I don't use that area much, so I haven't ordered new glass.
  • It's about time for an alignment – it has been over a year since the last one. Does not pull to either side, but Michigan roads are not the most forgiving...
Extras included with the car:

• used engine mounts
  • used Bilstein TC rear shocks
  • used front hub
  • spare headlight bulb
  • ½ gallon VW coolant
$6000 for the car and extras listed above

Extras available with the car:

• Metalnerd A4 timing belt tool set
  • VAG-COM HEX-USB
  • Bentley Manual on CD
  • Metalnerd triple square driver set (MN0812)
  • A4 injector slide hammer
  • Flywheel holder
  • Dieselgeek water pump removal kit
  • New rear main seal
  • 9x new oil filters
  • 2x new subframe mounts
  • 2x new front control arm bushings
  • 2x new rear rubber mount 100 501 0013
  • 1 new liter of power steering fuild – Pentosin CHF 11S
  • VW roof racks with ski/snowboard attachments and all original keys

• 4 Snow tires on VW steel rims with VW hubcaps – labeled with location for proper rotation. General Altimax Arctic tires with 66% tread remaining (8/32“ - still work great in Michigan snow and ice)
  • Used cold weather mask – makes a huge difference for warm-up time in Michigan winters.
  • 3 Spare glow plugs
  • 2 spare headlight bulbs
$6900 for the car and all extras

Please let me know if you would like any additional pictures
Fastest response via email: a4tzjrjrt6@snkmail.com
Thanks!
~NanoMonkey

Rear Bumper Scratch:

Passenger Door Scratch:

Front Bumper Damage:

Rear Paint Scratch:

Stone Chips:

Last edited:

NanoMonkey

TDI
ex:Jetta, 2002, Silver
Thanks for the bump Ashmo501!

I also found two more new glow plugs stashed in my tool room - updated extras list.

~NanoMonkey

jcw

TDI
'01 GLS sedan, 5-speed, 190k miles; '03 GLS wagon, 5 speed, 155k miles
Interested in selling the VAG-COM separately if it does not go w the car? Please send me a PM if so. Good luck. Thanks.

BehroMoto

TDI
2002 Jetta, Silver | 2001 Golf, Black | 1998 Beetle, Blue
I bought this car tonight, and I have to say that this post is well written and represents the car well.

This is my first TDI, and I plan to be active on the TDI Club Forums.

NanoMonkey, you're a great guy. I wish you had another car to sell me.

I will enjoy the car, and I will also enjoy taking care of it as well as you have.

Thanks also r90sKirk for the help on this one.

-Behrens-

Last edited:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Nanomonkey,

I'm still impressed - very very nice example of how a TDI should be cared for, and it shows. Enjoyed meeting you.

Behrens, have fun with the new car - it's a beaut! Your welcome.

Kirk