Omaha, NE chat thread

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
I kept thinking of that, we need to come up with the description of the car like "hey glad to see another TDI, you need to join us at ........"

I dont know something to have other to login and find us.

We need our winter GTG !!!

Man, we need some cheapo business cards or something to get people to our little happy Omaha/NE TDI Home. :D

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
New JSW RED at the Performance Dealer, i told the owner to check the site, we'll see.

Got my last free service yesterday 30k.

Anybody doing their DSG service? planning to buy the tool to do it in the summer.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Hey Folks,

I'm posting a question for a local friend who isn't quite on here yet. "

Dan, do you know anyone local who can re-flash my ECU? I took my Jetta in for an oil service and they did some recalls which included new glow plugs and a “software upgrade”. Basically they turned it back to stock! Sons-a-@#$%^&*%^&$$, that’s $450.00 down the drain. Let me know.

Tim"

Anyone local that can do this? Hit me with a PM or just reply here.

Thanks a bunch,

Dan

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Hey Folks,

I'm posting a question for a local friend who isn't quite on here yet. "

Dan, do you know anyone local who can re-flash my ECU? I took my Jetta in for an oil service and they did some recalls which included new glow plugs and a “software upgrade”. Basically they turned it back to stock! Sons-a-@#$%^&*%^&$$, that’s $450.00 down the drain. Let me know.

Tim"

Anyone local that can do this? Hit me with a PM or just reply here.

Thanks a bunch,

Dan
Who flashed his ECU, what brand of tune?

TiminOmaha

TDI
2005 Mk4
Thanks Dan, I'm on!
It's been years (2006) since it was chipped/mapped. I'm not sure who did it, only that I sent it to Washington state and had it back 4 days later. I moved to England and had the car over there for 3+ yrs but lost all records since. All I can say is it ran balls out prior to Performance VW doing the recall "software update" last Saturday. I called and confirmed that they conducted a software update & there's nothing they can do to switch it back. At least I got new glow plugs but I doubt they were bad after only 43k.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
New JSW RED at the Performance Dealer, i told the owner to check the site, we'll see.

Got my last free service yesterday 30k.

Anybody doing their DSG service? planning to buy the tool to do it in the summer.
Don't buy a tool, we have one built already an have to do 2 cars this summer for sure. We'll be doing them in Lincoln at some point, actually need to do TB this summer too!

Can a performance program be loaded back on my chip thru the OBD port?
TIM IS IN! :) How you doin man?

On the tune, some can be done through the port. I don't know who does tunes locally (that sucks about the software update wiping it) but I'd recommend Rocketchip. You would have to send it out but well worth the money and time. I can't remember what clutch you are running but I am sure an RC2 or higher (if you have nozzles and boost gauge and a clutch to hold the torque) would bring that balls to the wall feeling back to it.

I have a RC1+ in mine and absolutely love it. Next time I'm over that way I could take you for your spin.

zman

TDI
None yet.
Hello fellow Omaha people.

Joined a while back. Hoping to get my butt in a TDI soon. Gonna try and sell my grand prix and pick up a TDI of some kind. Where do I learn everything I need to know on TDIs?

It'll be my DD just like most of yours probably are.

Any recommendations on what year is good for comfort or mpg, reliability, etc. over others? I'm mostly ready to get one for the mileage.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey zman

Welcome back, well you already know the place to learn about TDI's. Just go here http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/

Hey Mrrogers that's great looking forward to go to lincoln then, just let me know when.
How easy you can make a tool? $200 for a piece of rubber pipe is way too much.

Is rocketchip ready for 2.0 TDI's?

We need to get together guys to look at our cars or have a drink somewhere.

Last edited:

TiminOmaha

TDI
2005 Mk4
What's Up MrRogers!

Everything is pretty much stock. I wish we had taken it out the last time you stopped over to check out the Mini. It was hard to keep the 18's from spinning under full throttle. I guess I should have paid the extra few hundred for a tuning box. I can't remember the type of chip I had installed but it could have been a Rocketchip. I doubt it matters as long a program could be loaded on it. I met a guy at the GTI International in England that stated he could do it with his laptop so I'd imagine it's possible.

Don't buy a tool, we have one built already an have to do 2 cars this summer for sure. We'll be doing them in Lincoln at some point, actually need to do TB this summer too!

TIM IS IN! :) How you doin man?

On the tune, some can be done through the port. I don't know who does tunes locally (that sucks about the software update wiping it) but I'd recommend Rocketchip. You would have to send it out but well worth the money and time. I can't remember what clutch you are running but I am sure an RC2 or higher (if you have nozzles and boost gauge and a clutch to hold the torque) would bring that balls to the wall feeling back to it.

I have a RC1+ in mine and absolutely love it. Next time I'm over that way I could take you for your spin.

TiminOmaha

TDI
2005 Mk4
More Issues

Now I noticed my cruise control is inoperative as well. The light comes on when selected but it will not set. I'm not sure what was in the software upgrade but don't let them do it to your's.

Everything is pretty much stock. I wish we had taken it out the last time you stopped over to check out the Mini. It was hard to keep the 18's from spinning under full throttle. I guess I should have paid the extra few hundred for a tuning box. I can't remember the type of chip I had installed but it could have been a Rocketchip. I doubt it matters as long a program could be loaded on it. I met a guy at the GTI International in England that stated he could do it with his laptop so I'd imagine it's possible.

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
We are officially on our way to a Jetta TDI fleet. Picked up my 11 JSW yesterday in toffey brown from Performance.

Said goodbye to my gas guzzling Taurus X (10-20mpg) and hello to JSW to round out the Jetta family.

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
Welcome to the club Matt! What year is your car? There is a group of us here in the Capital city (I actually live in Omaha but commute to Lincoln 3 days a week for work) that are very close friends but we all help take care of things when one of us needs work or just plain old maintenance done.

I'm also a member of the Omaha Boifuels Coop (we are based out of Omaha, MrErlo is the President of the Coop and there are other members here in this Omaha thread group) so you'll have to come check us out when it warms up. Nothing better than saving the earth and having fun doing it. :D
Is there a site for the Omaha Biofuels Coop? Im real interested in looking into it. Hopefully it warms up soon. Will you guys post a bio gtg?

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats AFTiggerInte Welcome to the club.

We are officially on our way to a Jetta TDI fleet. Picked up my 11 JSW yesterday in toffey brown from Performance.

Said goodbye to my gas guzzling Taurus X (10-20mpg) and hello to JSW to round out the Jetta family.

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Julio, been around a little while. I just finally got my own. Now I don't have to take my husbands in order to get the TDI experience.

Tinting is on Friday. Hitch is towards the end of the month. Then we get to figure out what else to do to them.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Anybody looking for a set of All Season tires, i have a set of Kumho 205-55/16 that came with the car I need to check the tire model 15k miles on it asking for $150.

I was talking on Saturday with the owner of a MKVI JETTA TDI, he was asking questions about the TDICLUB, I dont know why people never join the club after chatting with them.

Have a good day!!!

zman

TDI
None yet.
Do a lot of you own your TDIs under warranty? I was wondering how reliable these cars are?

I perform basic maintenance on my camaro and grand prix and even cam/transmission swaps but i've never dealt with a diesel before and the space in the engine bay of the camaro makes anything a breeze.

So i'm not sure if a TDI is for me yet...

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Hello fellow Omaha TDI owners! I am so glad I found this site. I feel like I am at home! LOL I have never owned a car that I love so much, but no one else "get's" it. What I mean is I love it, but no one understands why. I have also never owned a car that I could take it to a shop and they would turn my business away because it was a diesel. Being on this page is awesome!

Anyway, let me introduce myself. My name is Brian. I live in Bellevue. I bought my 02 Jetta new in April of 2002. I had to go to Fort Collins CO to get it because Stan Olsen didn't have this exact one. I drove the car for my courier route and took very good care of it. No matter what it needed, it got. Timing belts every 60K (Every 6 months), tires (every six months), Amsoil oil change and fuel filter replacement every 10K (once a month) and every other thing that came up. There would be days that I would start it up at 5AM, drive to Lincoln and let it idle when I was at the stop, drive to Sioux City and let it idle at the stop, drive back to Omaha and let it idle at the stop, drive to Des Moines and let it idle, drive back to Omaha, let it idle outside while I ate dinner (dead of winter), drive a in town Omaha route and let it idle at all the stops and back home before I shut it off at midnight. There were hundreds of days she did this. There would be days I would get snowed in, I would let it idle while I slept in the car to let the blizzard pass. So she would run for a couple days before getting shut down! I LOVE diesel!

Well, after 7 years of marriage, mine came to an end. December 05, in court, my ex asked the judge for the Jetta because she needed a more reliable car than the Sunfire she was driving. The judge agreeed since she was getting the kids more than me. I had to hand it over to her. She didn't want the car. She just wanted to see my reaction when she turned it into the bank as a voulinatry repossesion. I begged the bank to work something out with me. They refused. Either pay the 13K to get the title or they would send me the bill after they auctioned it. I didn't have the money. They ended up selling it to a bank customer that asked about it sitting in the parking lot. He offered them $1,000 and they took it!! Because it had over 400K on it. I said I drove a lot right??

This is what it looked like the last day that I had possession of it:

Still looked pretty good for 414K huh? :D I took very good care of it! Waxed monthly too! Anyway, the guy that bought it from the bank called me because he found a repair order in the glove box with my name and cell. He wanted to know all about the car. I asked if I could meet with him. Turned out he worked a few blocks away from where I lived. Once he found out how much I loved the car and how I lost it, he offered to sell it to me for $2500. I only had $800. Three months later I came back and had the $2500 but he had paid Performance to remove my lightweight flywheel and turn the clutch and flywheel back to stock. So now he wanted $3,500. Again, I went on my way busting my ass to get the money. Couple months later I come back with the $3,500 and he won't sell it. He says that he likes the car and doesn't want to part with it after all. :eek: Oh, I was so angry. But life went on and I got over it. I never saw the car again.

Until now....I got remarried years later and my wife and I are in the market for a used car. I tell her we need to get a TDI since I still do the courier thing on Saturdays only going to North Platte. Too bad that even with 200K-300K they still bring $4K-$5K WITH that mileage! More than I had to spend. Then I thought, "Where is my old car? Maybe I can buy it back if is still on the road." So I went to work searching for it. I went back to his work, he was gone but someone told me where he went. I played this game for a month. I tracked him down to his last four employers. Finally I get a lady that knows his number. She calls him and he agrees to talk to me. He tells me that he just sold the car as part of payment for a house. Told me he had no idea where to find it. Told me he had taken care of it and it should still be a good car. I have a friend who has a friend that was able to run the VIN and confirm that he had turned in his plates, but the car had not been registered yet. Then I get a brake a month later. The guy calls me back and tells me that his daughter just moved into an apartment complex on the north side of town. She told him that she had seen some lady pull up, park and get out of his old Jetta. He told me that it was a long shot, but it could be it. I got the address of the complex and went on a search. Guess what? I found it!!! Sitting in a parking lot off of Blondo. She wasn't in the same condition I left it in, but I had finally found it! This is what it looked like that day I discovered it in the very spot:

So after all this time (6yrs) I had finally found it. Now I had to figure out where the owner was. I figured someone would know so I decided to just start going door to door. There was no way that I was going to just let it go after all of this searching. The first door I knocked on some lady answers and peers out the door as far as the chain would allow it to. She asked what I wanted, I asked if she knew who owned the silver Jetta outside. She said, "It's my car, why is there a problem?" What are the chances of that? The first door I knocked on was the winner! I explained myself to her her. She thought I was a whack job. She asked me to tell her something only I would know about the car. I remembered I had put stickers under the hood. I told her about the Amsoil sticker. Once I said that she smiled and opened the door. She knew I was for real. She told me my timing was on the money. She was about to sell it. She didn't like how messy the diesel pump was and how bad the car stunk when it ran. She said it ran "perfect" and would sell it to me. She told me to make her an offer. I said $1,000 and she laughed at me. She said she had looked on Ebay and seen them sell for $3000. I told her I would meet her half way at $2000. She says, "You got cash?" I whipped out the hundreds. She said, "Let me go get the title, it's yours." Thank god she took the $2000 cause that was all I had! lol

I didn't even drive it. I bought it taking a chance. It still drives pretty good now. Here is the mileage now:

Only 33K in the last 6 years. Not bad considering I drove it for 120K a year! lol

I took it to work and detailed it up:

The front end lost the bottom portion of the bra, my Bora fog lights are either missing or broken, there are three door dings and another crack in the windshield, the tint on the back window is bubbling, the rear paint has a rough feel to it from all of the soot that sat on it. The inside was TRASHED. I wish I had a photo of it before I cleaned it. Pop spilled all over, cigarette ashes and butts all over the place, white dog hair EVERYWHERE, broken center console, broken passenger side vent, cracked screen on radio face, passenger front window wants to come off track when it goes down and up, driver's seat won't move front or back, my high dollar "Jetta" monster mats I special ordered were thrown out and some jank ones were laying there and the hazard light button is clicking all the time driving down the road. I'll get it all back together! One pay check at a time.

Here is where I need your help Omaha TDI owners. I need to find another mechanic. Someone that KNOWS their diesel engines. I need a timing belt ASAP. I need the intake cleaned ASAP. It is so caked I don't know how it runs at all. I don't think that is why it idles so bad because I cleaned out what I could at the butterfly and I can't tell a difference. If you turn the AC on it will smooth out the idle. Shut the air off and it sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. I also need to find someone that chopped off their converter so I can buy it from them. I want mine to quiet down. This car is SO loud now. The previous owner through away all the plastics around the engine. Top cover, side covers, belly pan and even the battery cover area all gone now. This car is so loud from the diesel clatter and exhaust that I have to shut it off at a drive through!! Not cool! I love the sound of a diesel, but I don't want it that loud. I can't help but wonder if I did the "hammer tap" that it would solve my issues. I don't have that fancy scan tool to do what this site tells you to do: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening to my story everyone! It is so nice to be back in a VW!!

Brian

Last edited:

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow great!!!

I have the vag-com and I can meet you somewhere during the weekend to check your car.
As far as a mechanic when I need something I will go to Cordell's Foreing Auto at 84st and L .
There is another shop but I dont have the infor here.

Congrats getting your car back, I missed my 02 JETTA.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Everybody here would tell you We love our TDI's, every car have issues but I would take a TDI no matter what.
And so far 34k miles on my 09 jetta the cars is great and look at Brian's car 400k plus miles and he will bring it back to life soon.

But TDI's are not for everyone, right guys !!!

You need to care about your car to enjoy the TDI !!!!

Do a lot of you own your TDIs under warranty? I was wondering how reliable these cars are?

I perform basic maintenance on my camaro and grand prix and even cam/transmission swaps but i've never dealt with a diesel before and the space in the engine bay of the camaro makes anything a breeze.

So i'm not sure if a TDI is for me yet...

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Zman,

2 of the 3 TDIs we have are under warranty. The 3rd one I bought for my mom because it's safer than her previous car and I knew after 3 years of research that we could count on these vehicles to hold up and last.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Wow great!!!

I have the vag-com and I can meet you somewhere during the weekend to check your car.
As far as a mechanic when I need something I will go to Cordell's Foreing Auto at 84st and L .
There is another shop but I dont have the infor here.

Congrats getting your car back, I missed my 02 JETTA.

That would be awesome!! You don't by chance know how to do the hammer mod do you?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Here is where I need your help Omaha TDI owners. I need to find another mechanic. Someone that KNOWS their diesel engines. I need a timing belt ASAP. I need the intake cleaned ASAP. It is so caked I don't know how it runs at all. I don't think that is why it idles so bad because I cleaned out what I could at the butterfly and I can't tell a difference. If you turn the AC on it will smooth out the idle. Shut the air off and it sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders. I also need to find someone that chopped off their converter so I can buy it from them. I want mine to quiet down. This car is SO loud now. The previous owner through away all the plastics around the engine. Top cover, side covers, belly pan and even the battery cover area all gone now. This car is so loud from the diesel clatter and exhaust that I have to shut it off at a drive through!! Not cool! I love the sound of a diesel, but I don't want it that loud. I can't help but wonder if I did the "hammer tap" that it would solve my issues. I don't have that fancy scan tool to do what this site tells you to do: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening to my story everyone! It is so nice to be back in a VW!!

Brian
WOW what a story! Congrats on getting your car back. I hate to promote myself, but if you willing to drive up to Sioux Falls, SD its only 3.5hrs drive and I woulb be able to get your TDI restore back to its life. There are couple omaha TDI members I met before but its been very long time ago, so I forget who they are. Little bit about what I do, I have my own shop in SF work on TDI's, VW and Audi's for living had a shop only for 1.5years but been doing this more then hobby for past 3yrs, also own Golf TDI (love it) had it for over 5yrs. You can find my contact info in my signature. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

zman

TDI
None yet.
Zman,

2 of the 3 TDIs we have are under warranty. The 3rd one I bought for my mom because it's safer than her previous car and I knew after 3 years of research that we could count on these vehicles to hold up and last.
Thank you. Would anyone in Omaha be willing to give me a ride in their TDI sometime this summer. I'd be willing to give anyone a ride in the Camaro if you wish :D

Nice story Brian, that's awesome you got it back!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Wow, what a story! Makes me love my Tdi even more! Thanks for sharing!

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
I think we so need to have a get together soon for everyone here. Chris, our salesman from Performance, called me yesterday morning and said they have exactly 1 sedan left on the lot until mid April.

I did get the 2011 registered and even put the TDI Club plate frames on both TDIs. My son (4) keeps telling my daughter (2) who is getting which TDI when they get old enough to drive. Gee, wonder who left the 4 yr old in charge of these matters. It is kinda funny trying to do something to the cars and being coached through it by my son though like I have no idea how to use a screwdriver or wrench on anything. Maybe I should implement the rule you have to be able to fix it to get to drive it now so they'll both want to learn.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Okay, so here's the deal. Back in the day when I was younger I wanted this car to be fast, so I put some different nozzles in it. It was a long time ago and I have no idea what size I upgraded too. Later on in life I wanted even more and when my computer bit the dust, I bought one from the dealer, shipped it to some guy in Chicago had it flashed and he shipped it back. I gave the computer to the dealer who programmed it to my car and I was up and running and even faster. I didn't care for the insane amount of smoke, and the 10MPG loss in fuel economy, but it sure was fun to drive! Well, now I am 31 and I want it back to the new days. No more smoke, 52mpg and a SMOOTH idle. After all of this, the car always idled terrible. So this last weekend I took the injectors out and swapped them back to the stock nozzles. Reinstalled them. A mechanic friend of mine told me to disconnect each injectors return line and crank on it to remove the air that would have gotten in the line and crank on it until is starts to sputter to life. Then he said to stop as it starts to run or I'll have diesel all over. After that you can put the lines back on and then restart it. I did this just as he said. The motor idled rough for maybe 20 seconds and then it was beautiful....Idled SMOOTH again! It hasn't been this smooth in 7 years! I was so excited. I took it out for a drive and immediately realized something was terribly wrong. The car had NO balls. Not even 90hp stock balls. It was all I could do to get it to 40 MPH. I had to baby the throttle when I was driving it. If you layed on it, it would bog down and a bright blue smoke would come out the exhaust. I come back home to think about what could be wrong. I realize that even though I didn't do the nozzle and computer upgrade at the same time (computer came later) maybe the non-stock programing won't allow the stock injectors to be in place. So I decide to switch them back. I needed the car for a 600 mile drive later in the day so I had to have it running. I took them all out and reinstalled the performance nozzles. Put it all back together. Did the air bleed trick. Then got back in it to start it. Started about 15-20 times but would immediately die after it started. I thought maybe there was more air, so I opened up the top of the injectors and cranked. I watched as diesel came shooting out of every fuel line as it should. But STILL, it won't stay running. Now it won't even start at all. Crank, crank and crank. I decide to replace them again back to stock nozzles, so I pull them out and switch back, install new brass "O" rings and tighten it all back down again, do the air bleed trick for a while with no sense that it wanted to start....sealed it up and cranked on it again for a while. NOTHING. Something is way out of whack and I am out of ideas. Now I have a car that NO ONE has any clue how to work on and a wife that was pissed when we had to drive the mini-van at 17 MPG. A $55 trip with the Dub cost us $126. She was NOT happy with me to say the least. HELP! What am I missing here?

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Is it possible that there's still air in the line? The smoke can look blue in a certain light which means burning oil in most cases but the issues lead me to think you've got air getting in there. How full is your tank?

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Is it possible that there's still air in the line? The smoke can look blue in a certain light which means burning oil in most cases but the issues lead me to think you've got air getting in there. How full is your tank?

I just don't know how there could be anymore air in there! LOL, there is 3/4 tank full of fuel right now...