Blend door actuator?

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
The other day when it was fairly warm out, I tried to turn my climatronic controls to 60 degrees cool me down. All I got from the drivers side vents was extremely hot air, but the passenger was getting nice cool air. Is the an actuator issue?

This has happened in the past but for a very short time. This time I was not able to get it to switch over to cool air. I tried switching temps, air selection, and everything else to get it to switch to cool, but I had no luck.

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
Anyone have information on how the climatronic system works? Are there two blend doors and two actuators that separately control drivers side vs. passenger side?

Also I've read a lot about ground connection cleaning, etc. Can I rule this out since the passenger side heat and AC adjust correctly?

Thanks

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Since no one else has offered anything yet, I will offer a simple suggestion & relatively easy first step to try: Clean the ground points in the engine space and the fused links at the front end of the engine space fuse/relay box. In particular, pay attention to the peach colored wire & acorn nut immediately under the air filter box. While you are there, you might as well do all the grounds and fused links. Search the subject in this forum, much is written.

The high resistance within the system causes havoc in the canbus system that manifests in odd and confusing symptoms. Included in these are wierd problems in the comfort control/HVAC system operation.

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
If it is a bad ground, wouldn't this affect both passenger side and drivers side blend door functions?

I can't picture in my head which connections you are referring to, but I will take a look tonight.

Thanks for your suggestion!!!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Murry, could be a one-off. But if the steering wheel light returns (amber or red) try this simple fix: There's a ground lug under the hood, on the body -- look for it between the drivers headlight and the battery (you'll need to removed the airbox for easy access). On the lug you'll find a peach colored wire. This is the ground for the steering rack. Remove the nut and wires then go at it with a wire brush. Do the same to both sides of each wire connector. Rub a little dielectric grease on each, then bolt it back together. NOTE: In my case the contacts did not appear to be overly corroded, yet solved my problem. If grounding was the problem, the cluster light will go out after the car sits overnight.

Ultimately, you need to get a VCDS scan to see what codes are set (NOTE these do not trip the check engine light). For the problem relating to that ground lug here's a summary of error codes set by various modules, such as Steering Assist, Instruments and CAN Gateway (was my clue of a wiring issue):

My suggestion is to do the easy things first: clean the grounds. They can cause all type of odd issues. The grounds that typically cause the most issues are the ones near the battery and air box. Typically, there are 3 grounds near & under the air filter box.

My suggestion is to remove the air box (it might be quicker to also remove the battery & battery tray which greatly improves access to the area) clean the 3 grounds there, also, clean the engine/transmission ground at the starter connection and the battery negative post & chassis attachment. Use dielectic grease during reassembly.

While you are in that area. It would probably be wise to clean the connection at the 12VDC fuse & power feed on the front end of the engine compartment fuse box (the vertical fuses & connections on the box front as they corrode also.).

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
BoB S, Here is the scan I did prior to the vent blowing hot air only. I'll do another one when I can:

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 1K0-907-044.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 044 AG
Component: ClimatronicPQ35 066 0505
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 6CF9150C4FF26B41A33-8039

1 Fault Found:
01809 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Left (V158)
000 --- Intermittent

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
BoB S, Here is the scan I did prior to the vent blowing hot air only. I'll do another one when I can:

1 Fault Found:
000 --- Intermittent
Bringing back this post. I never solved the issue, it is so random and doesn't happen a lot, but this morning it's 0 degrees out and the drivers side vent were pushing out air so hot it felt like I could burn my hands with the hot air, yet I had the climate control set to "LOW". The passenger side vents worked fine, but it took a 50 mile drive and me messing with the controls the whole way to finally get the temp to cool down.
Can anyone make sense of the codes I pulled?

1 Fault Found:
000 --- Intermittent