Intermittent electrical issues

trevdog24

TDI
06 Jetta 85 Jetta
Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. Been having some electrical issues as of late. Just drove to work the other day and on my way home the blower motor would surge, lights on dash would go on and off, center console lights would go off, and headlights would dim quite a bit. Problem is definitely intermittent as it would only do it about 3 times in 60 miles. Seemed like if I had high electrical loads on (blower on high, heated seat on 5, radio louder, brights on) it was worse.

Problem would happen for a few seconds. I then turned down the fan, shut off heated seats, and lowered radio volume. Then everything kinda started working normal. Very intermittent issue.

It seems to me like I have a loss of electrical power coming into cab. I removed engine bay fuse panel and checked connections and fuses for corrosion and looseness. Everything was fine. Will probably check battery and alternator just to cover basis later.

Anyone else have an issue similar? Intermittent electrical problems are by far the worst to deal with. Wondering if anyone has a "known" problem spot to check? Thanks guys.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Easiest, least expensive and very frequent solution to intermittent electrical problems is battery replacement. Have it load tested.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Do you have a multimeter? With the car running. Put the red lead on the alternator stud and the black lead on the ground post of your battery. You should be getting around 14v. Anything below 13.5 or so and your looking at a new alternator. Which is what I suspect is wrong.

trevdog24

TDI
06 Jetta 85 Jetta
Did some checking today. Tested alternator and have 13.8 volts no load, and 14 volts loaded. Did find a decent amount of corrosion on cables. Cleaned. Tested battery. Found it at 35% after sitting for 4 days. So maybe I have a draw on the battery. If I drive it daily it would always stay up. Trickle charged battery and found it would only get up to 65%. I ll prob try a new battery and see. Hoping it resolves my original issue.