Silver 2002 Jetta GLS TDI sold377k , 2012 black A3 TDI wagon
Here in Southern Nh it's 4.09 to 4.15 a gallon. It spiked
After the big snow last week. Been 3.80 plus all winter
Can't wait till spring when the price drops around here

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Filled up tonight, 45 cetane diesel up 20 cents in four days to $3.97/gallon. At the same station, premium unleaded is also $3.97.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$3.45 for RUG and $3.86 for D at my favorite Hess tonight.

Claydon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Holding at $4.23/gallon.

It is interesting now that I am starting to pay attention to diesel prices that diesel (at least for right now) is holding more or less steady whereas gasoline is soaring. I assume this has to do with retooling of refiners for the summer blends? Granted the market in California is really skewed because gasoline is not imported into the state due to more stringent standards.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
$4.179 here in town, $3.959 across the border in Tennessee. Guess where I buy my diesel?
I can envision that one day the local governments will try to collect the difference under the "sales and use tax" or as I like to refer to it sales use and abuse tax, the late William Donald Shaffer used to put State Troopers out to look for people (Md residents) coming back form the Carolinas with furniture to make sure the pay the then 5% sales tax in MD.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Holding at $4.23/gallon.

It is interesting now that I am starting to pay attention to diesel prices that diesel (at least for right now) is holding more or less steady whereas gasoline is soaring. I assume this has to do with retooling of refiners for the summer blends?
That was one of the issues cited on NBC news last night. The other major factor is the ever increasing demand for all refined fuels in China.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
That was one of the issues cited on NBC news last night. The other major factor is the ever increasing demand for all refined fuels in China.
Actually, that excuse is lame.

The real reason fuel prices has gone up in the last 30 days is because of a weakened U.S. Dollar.

Maybe the Strategic Oil Reserve (SOR) will come to the political rescue of the powers that be, but until then, this present fuel price spike is going to keep getting worse.

And because the economy isn't getting any better, fuel prices are going to come back down as fuel demand weakens with the onslaught high prices produce on the economy; which usually happens 4 to 6 months into the pain. By summer it will be plain to see (barring a major war, or the arrival of the SOR galloping on its 'white horse').

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Well, let's see. So far I've heard the excuse for high prices are China's growth, summer blending, refineries doing maintenance and now tonight some schmo on a b-level talk show on the ray-dee-oh saying it was new taxes levied by the Obama administration. And of course everyone's favourite go-to, 'speculators'.

Did we leave anything out? ;)

Diesel and gas are down almost 10¢ at just one station in town today, everyone else is steady. Most folks are $3.749 for gas and $4.099 for diesel. Yuck.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Posts like this always confuse me...

Diesel has ALWAYS been a percentage more expensive than RUG. Especially in PA. This percentage has been fairly consistent since I bought my TDI back in 2003.
06 was when D2 surpassed RUG in my area, right at the same time that peak oil production occured (unless we surpass it in the future but unlikely)

prior to 06 D2 was as much as a 30 cent discount to RUG

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Filled up yesterday at $4.29 in Northern Virginia and I noticed my regular station has downgraded to 40 cetane.

I'd also like to point out how depressing it is to open this thread on the first page versus the last and see the very first post was $2.84 :eek:

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
06 was when D2 surpassed RUG in my area, right at the same time that peak oil production occured (unless we surpass it in the future but unlikely)

prior to 06 D2 was as much as a 30 cent discount to RUG
The price differential change came about at the same time as the major switch to USLD. I'm sure that the hydrotreatment to remove most of the remaining sulphur is the primary excuse for higher diesel pricing.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The price differential change came about at the same time as the major switch to USLD. I'm sure that the hydrotreatment to remove most of the remaining sulphur is the primary excuse for higher diesel pricing.
I once believed that might be true. But the spread between #2 fuel oil (500+ ppm of sulfur) and 15-ppm-or-less ULSD is only 4 cents, according to the Cash Prices page of the WSJ. And it has been in the range of 4-9 cents a gallon for many years, basically from the time of the switch to ULSD back in 2005 or 2006. I'm guessing that if there was ever a shortage of ULSD then the price spread would increase; but most refineries in North America, Europe, and the Caribbean only produce ULSD. And the only time they sell something by another name is when they get a bad or contaminated batch, that might exceed the 15-ppm limit.

Just because two things happen at about the same time, does not mean that they are related, or that one caused the other.

That is especially the case when there are other very plausible explanations. I am pretty sure the reason for the widened spread between gasoline and diesel prices is due to a shrinking demand for gasoline (more fuel-efficient cars, ethanol replacing gasoline in the blend) and steady-to-higher global demand for diesel and other distillate fuels.

When refineries crank up production to meet the demands for distillates, they produce excess gasoline that gets dumped on the market at whatever price they can get. That's certainly what happened in the US over the last several months, until about 5-6 weeks ago when maintenance shutdowns at a number of refineries reduced the surplus production of gasoline and shored up its price.

Additionally, when refineries end up losing money on the sale of cheap gasoline, they tend to reduce refinery runs and this cuts into the supply of diesel and other distillates. So, cheap gasoline is sometimes the cause of expensive diesel.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did not say it was a cause of the higher pricing, only an excuse. As you stated, world demand and weaker dollar value are two primary reasons why fuel is higher right now.

Also, as has been stated many times in this thread, it comes down to fuel taxes on the differences that we pay state to state and nation to nation. The cost of the fuel is basically the same world wide (a few cents here and there) but the taxes and/or subsidies vary greatly.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
RUG was 3.41 and diesel 3.85 at the cheapest station in the area. That is a 12.9% difference. With a typical nonpremium gas burner getting about 30% lower(in real life, not EPAland) that is still advantage diesel. My gas burning Matrix gave my about 28 mpg on a good tank and my JSW TDI 6M gives me 42 or 43. That is a 51.7% improvement in mpg, 51.7% - 12.9% = 38.8% to the good. Now if only I wasn't driving more for the sheer enjoyment of it?

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
RUG was 3.41 and diesel 3.85 at the cheapest station in the area. That is a 12.9% difference. With a typical nonpremium gas burner getting about 30% lower(in real life, not EPAland) that is still advantage diesel. My gas burning Matrix gave my about 28 mpg on a good tank and my JSW TDI 6M gives me 42 or 43. That is a 51.7% improvement in mpg, 51.7% - 12.9% = 38.8% to the good. Now if only I wasn't driving more for the sheer enjoyment of it?
I look at it this way… I jumped into the world of TDIs so that I could get better mileage AND still enjoy driving. Maintenance costs may offset the fuel savings but I still smile when I get in my car, even after 300,000 miles. Can't say I'd be doing that in a Prius.

Das

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Jetta GLS TDI sold377k , 2012 black A3 TDI wagon
I bought a TDI over a gasser because the TDI engine will outlast the gasser 2 to 1. Better millage 31 highway( 2.0 ) 2003 getta my last car to 45 plus in a 2002 jetta TDI and the gas savings will pay for my maintance for the next 300k have 170k now plan on keeping a while. drive 900 miles a week 43 weeks a year and 450 the rest of the year. I have been a VW nut since 1977 and would buy nothing else at this point I believe they are the best built car for the money in the world.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Well, let's see. So far I've heard the excuse for high prices are China's growth, summer blending, refineries doing maintenance and now tonight some schmo on a b-level talk show on the ray-dee-oh saying it was new taxes levied by the Obama administration. And of course everyone's favourite go-to, 'speculators'.
Did we leave anything out? ;)
George Bush. :D

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The Fed has been printing free money to prop up the economy. That "free" money is going into assets like oil & gold. That's why gas/diesel is going up. The economy is not recovering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
Looked up one station for RUG today on GasBuddy - 15 minute old report was 3.73/gal.
Arrive to the station, find the price $3.99 on the pump. Asked inside, yes, they had just updated the prices... From 3.89!!! So in 15 minutes, they shot up TWICE in pricing.
this is of course if the last person to update actually updated it with the correct figures. it's one thing that bothers me from time to time. like when folks add in a figure in the mid-grade spot for stations that don't offer that product.

advantage to diesel is slipping away....
that depends on where you go. i tend to cross the boarder to md where it's cheaper than pa.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Back down to $3.89.

Even the speculative markets know that the customer base for diesel is wobbling with cash shortage.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Holy crap! Local Shell jump a couple times and is up to $4.37/G. Next exit down the interstate a Race Trac is at $4.09/G. It wasn't that long ago I filled at $3.85/G and was annoyed that I had just missed it at $3.73/G.

I really do wish they would lower the tax on Diesel or raise it on gasoline to make that part of the price even. As far as higher D2 tax to make up for the damage of heavy trucks on the road, what about the road tax they pay based on the wheel odometer?

At least the way I drive I won't be filling up for a month or two.

Jason

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
$3.61 for RUG and $3.83 for diesel today at the cheap station. Only a $0.22 cent difference or only a 6% difference. Kind of what I tell people, diesel may be more expensive but there is way less fluctuation.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
$3.61 for RUG and $3.83 for diesel today at the cheap station. Only a $0.22 cent difference or only a 6% difference. Kind of what I tell people, diesel may be more expensive but there is way less fluctuation.
Currently the typical price for RUG is $3.859, while diesel is about $4.09. But
I've seen at least one station where the RUG/ULSD spread was only 18 cents.

This Week in Petroleum, released Thursday this week because Monday was a holiday, has a chart showing that the crack spread between Gulf Coast RBOB and Brent crude was negative for much of the period between November and January -- in other words, a barrel of gasoline cost less than a barrel of crude. Now the spread has gone the other way, but probably too far, so do not expect gasoline to stay this high for more than just a few more weeks.

http://www.eia.gov/oog/info/twip/twiparch/2013/130221/twipprint.html