tandem pump discussion

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Can the tandem pump fail only on the vacuum side? I have a loss of vacuum, a hard ticking sound and a lot of oil around the rubber vacuum brake boost connector located in the firewall near the battery. That connecter is so gooey it has swelled to the point of no seal thus hard, crappy brakes. There is no other oil anywhere near the rubber block. It must be an internal seal issue with the pump. The engine runs perfect and no fault codes. The cam lobes all look great too including the small one in the back.Yet the ticking is rather loud. I need to pinpoint that noise source and would like some advice. My next move is to remove the pump and inspect it and it's slotted driver on the end of the cam

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
In my experience the ticking sound goes away once you fix the vacuum leak. I had hard brakes and the disturbing ticking after a battery change once, turns out I accidentally removed the vacuum line going to the brake booster. Once reconnected everything was fine, no ticking sound. Use a gauge to see if your vacuum is healthy after sorting all leaks you find.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
In that same area, the coolant flange has a nasty habit of crumbling so I'd change that for sure.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
In answer to your question, yes the tandem pump can fail only on the vacuum side.