Strange Whispbar/roof rack question

Protorio

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Hi - I’m finding the Whispbar “through” bars at some good prices - but in the S15 (43”) and S17 (52.5”)sizes. The S16 (47”) is recommended for the MK6 Golf, which is my car.

I’m wondering about overhang on the “through” bars - would it be possible to have less overhang and fit the S15, or have more overhang (I suppose this is always possible, depending on how much I can bear ot hang off the sides) with the S17.

Any ideas? Thule is expensive... maybe I’ll just go with OEM and wrap a bungee around it for MPG and wind mitigation...

Thanks

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Do you have a Mk7 GSW, or a Mk6 Golf? The 2015 GSW has rails, and although you can place flush or through bars (with mounting feet) on top of the factory rails, there's usually not a need to do this, when you can install rail bars (S44?). A Golf, without rails, requires flush or through bars with mounting feet.

IRT the sizing, there is always a bit of up or downsizing you can do with the Whispbar mounting, but the issue is less of overhang, and how much adjustability you have when sliding the mounting feet back and forth for proper placement. The shorter (S15) is likely to be more of a problem, since the feet must be in the right place, but you might run into the same problem with the longer (S16) ones (where you would reach the limit of the how close you can place the feet towards each other).

We have S53's for (her) 2015 GSW and (IIRC) S4 for the MkIV G&J. Keep in mind that the rails for the Mk7 narrow from front to rear, so you'll need adjustability in the sizing (if for the GSW you have listed). Since Yakima discontinued Whispbar in NA, the prices have done the typical for cult items that are NLA: skyrocketed in some spots, and gone to clearance in others. You should be able to find the exact sizes you need for cheap.

HTH.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
The bars are adjustable to a certain degree, as defined by the slots. The in-house Yakima ones have more adjustability, as the adjustability by design is not limited like the Whispbar cross bars.

Whispar also has the "Flushbar" which has no overhang, since overhang seems to be a concern