Japanese Mini Truck build

Airbags or Coilovers???

• Total voters

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you could run an output off of the counter shaft fifth gear, bypassing the passat final drive...this would still require a divorced t case....but why not lay the engine over and put under the cab?...you could use 50* vanagon oil pan/pump and a custom adapter plate...this would allow for a conventional trans and t case setup

FuelAddict

TDI
96 VW passat TDI (Donor Car)
you could run an output off of the counter shaft fifth gear, bypassing the passat final drive...this would still require a divorced t case....but why not lay the engine over and put under the cab?...you could use 50* vanagon oil pan/pump and a custom adapter plate...this would allow for a conventional trans and t case setup

I should be able to get the gearing just right with the stock VW trans. I know the motor mounted mid chassis will require cutting the bed/space loss but i want the weight of the motor centered.

But clocking the motor and running an adapter plate is a good idea

Brad

FuelAddict

TDI
Here are some pictures of when i transported the truck to its new home. I am in the middle of remodeling our new home but of course the shop was built first....:p

Loaded up

resting in its new home till i get power hooked up in the shop

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
:p That was my previous truck i had. Love the motors and the body style but the interiors and trannies are garbage
I see. Me and my brother just finished our 12 valve race truck. It's got a 64mm, studs, lift pump, blaha blah blah etc. It only made 521 hp, but it put down 1106 ft lbs of torque. Pretty happy considering it's just a 12 valve.

FuelAddict

TDI
I see. Me and my brother just finished our 12 valve race truck. It's got a 64mm, studs, lift pump, blaha blah blah etc. It only made 521 hp, but it put down 1106 ft lbs of torque. Pretty happy considering it's just a 12 valve.
Those are healthy numbers. Those 12v can hold a lot of horses. I love them

FuelAddict

TDI
UPDATE:

I ordered a deluxe timing belt kit from AARodriquez yesterday. I just got off the phone with Andrew after talking about what cam and lifters to go with. I will be ordering a stock cam & lifter set today.

I am hoping that these parts will fix the noise my motor is making. If so, I will then be looking into ordering a set of injectors then turbo and so forth....

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I am curious as to how you will get this registered. I have used these on the farm for years and have not been able to find a way to Register it

let me know how you do it please

FuelAddict

TDI
I am curious as to how you will get this registered. I have used these on the farm for years and have not been able to find a way to Register it
let me know how you do it please
I will keep you informed. I have heard stories of how much of a nightmare it is to register them. I have seen a couple that are registered here in florida though, so there is some hope.

FuelAddict

TDI
I just got back in town from Massachusetts tonight and had a couple boxes waiting for me. My deluxe timing kit, cam & lifters came in from FixMyVW.com. Now i need to get the specialty tools to do the job. I can't wait to get this done and see if it fixes my issues

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Have you found/bought the tools for the Tbelt yet?
Where are you in CFL?

This is such a cool project! I will be bugging you for a ride when it's all completed!!! :)

FuelAddict

TDI
Have you found/bought the tools for the Tbelt yet?
Where are you in CFL?

This is such a cool project! I will be bugging you for a ride when it's all completed!!! :)

I have not purchased the tools yet. I am located in Maitland, FL 32751

Thank you! I am anxious to start on it. I don't mind at all but it may be awhile :(

FuelAddict

TDI
Hey All,
I have not had the time to install the new motor parts But i did make a final decision to go with a custom airbag setup. I made this decision for the ride quality, functionality and "cool factor". I have designed all of the necessary brackets to get the rear set up on airbags and will be working on the front next. The front is going to be a little more tricky as things are tighter.

(below) These are the rear axle side airbag brackets. Driver side bracket will serve solely as a airbag mount (Cyan outlines). The passenger side will serve as a airbag mount & a lower pan hard bar mount (magenta & green outlines). In the lower part of the photo you can see a couple different views of how they will look once welded up. airbags & axles (Red Outlines)

(Below) These are the Upper airbag brackets that will be welded to 2 sticks of 1.5" DOM tubing along with a bracket on either end. This way the whole assembly will be a bolt on kit. Also allowing me to powdercoat it when i figure out my accent color.

(Below) This is the rear upper panhard Mount.

FuelAddict

TDI
Update

UPDATE:

All of the rear airbag and panhard brackets are cut out and They fit perfect. I also received my timing tools i bought last week in the mail.

Timing Tools

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Are the bends done with those little tabs so you can do it yourself without a press? Presume you'll weld along the edges the same as the loose pieces?

FuelAddict

TDI
Are the bends done with those little tabs so you can do it yourself without a press? Presume you'll weld along the edges the same as the loose pieces?

That is exactly right! all joins will get welded. also put nipples and notches in the lose pieces for ease and accuracy of alignment.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Well thats a damn fine idea and I'll be pinching it for something I'm about to make then :D I've been trying to figure out how to make two perpendicular 90* bends since the steel shop's press is far to big for what I want. Tabs like that are perfect!

Is there a formula or rule of thumb for how far apart the two edges should be based on the thickness? Looks like you have about 1/16th radius with 3/16th plate but I can't quite figure the spacing?

FuelAddict

TDI
Well thats a damn fine idea and I'll be pinching it for something I'm about to make then :D I've been trying to figure out how to make two perpendicular 90* bends since the steel shop's press is far to big for what I want. Tabs like that are perfect!

Is there a formula or rule of thumb for how far apart the two edges should be based on the thickness? Looks like you have about 1/16th radius with 3/16th plate but I can't quite figure the spacing?
i go half the metal thickness for 90* bends in most cases

FuelAddict

TDI
Hi All,

I have a small update. I started to tear the motor down to install the timing belt kit, cam & lifters. I will be back when i am done to update you on if it fixed my problem or not.

Brad

FuelAddict

TDI
OK, i am having a really hard time deciding if i want to go with coil overs or airbags. here are my thoughts
Pros:
- Airbags- height adjustability, smooth ride, Load/ride height adjustable
- Coilovers- Smooth ride, no plumbing/wiring, jumpable

Cons:
- Airbags- Plumbing/Wiring, possible puncture/leaks, probably not best to jump, a lot of components to mount/find space for
- Coilover- not easily adjustable for ride height or loads.

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
What do you intend to do with the truck?

How complicated will the overall project be? I only like so many things going on at once ya know, less things to break. At least the 8v tdi is a pretty simple engine.

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
Beautiful metal work! Fine workmanship.
For best no nonsense durability go coilovers. For best cool factor and tinkering factor go air bags:D

My son and I built a partly finished project find a few years ago:

A long wheelbase Samurai to start. Switched to coil independent (Chevette diesel coils) with extended wheelbase (so that 38"s) extended past front and rear bumpers (for straight up climbing when needed).
1.6 Sidekick (built) with auto/tcase to divorced Samurai case with 4:1 gearing to Toy Mini truck solid axles with 5.29 gearing.

It was still light and ran with 2-3psi with beadlocks on the trail. It was the closest to unstoppable of anything I have ever seen with a total build cost incl purchase price of approx. $5000 dollars and many man hrs (10 yrs ago)

FuelAddict

TDI
What do you intend to do with the truck?

How complicated will the overall project be? I only like so many things going on at once ya know, less things to break. At least the 8v tdi is a pretty simple engine.
I plan on using the truck more off-road. Cruising mud events, trail riding, mudding and mostly whatever i come across. I guess the airbags is more show :D

FuelAddict

TDI
Beautiful metal work! Fine workmanship.
For best no nonsense durability go coilovers. For best cool factor and tinkering factor go air bags:D

My son and I built a partly finished project find a few years ago:

A long wheelbase Samurai to start. Switched to coil independent (Chevette diesel coils) with extended wheelbase (so that 38"s) extended past front and rear bumpers (for straight up climbing when needed).
1.6 Sidekick (built) with auto/tcase to divorced Samurai case with 4:1 gearing to Toy Mini truck solid axles with 5.29 gearing.

It was still light and ran with 2-3psi with beadlocks on the trail. It was the closest to unstoppable of anything I have ever seen with a total build cost incl purchase price of approx. $5000 dollars and many man hrs (10 yrs ago)

Thank you for the kind words. You are exactly right about the "cool factor" & "tinkering factor" and i think that is what is pulling me in.

A big factor with the coil overs is that i do not know what the weight of the truck is going to be. So i won't be able to choose spring rates. Although i could with till i get the majority of the components mounted on the chassis then weight it. :confused:

That sounds like a really cool rig! have any pictures?

FuelAddict

TDI
sorry for the lack of updates. the last couple weekends i have been on vacations and i will be busy catching up with work so work on this project will be stalled.