Auxiliary heater working all the time - VW Sharan TDi

estilian

TDI
VW Sharan 1.9 TDi 2002, 116hp
First of all - let me introduce myself with 2-3 words as this is my first post in this forum. I'm owner of several cars and all of them are with petrol engines. Just a week ago I bought my first diesel ever - VW Sharan with 1.9 TDi engine (116hp), man. year 2002 with automatic gearbox.

Everything seemed perfect at the beginning - good urban mileage (7.5/100 l/km) very good behavior, very stable work of the engine. Then I took the car for a trip on a highway and noticed a very high consumption - the dashboard computer was showing 10/100 l/km on a highway with 130km/h stable speed with cruise control. When I arrived to my final destination (300km) and turned off the engine I noticed that the build-in auxiliary heater is working and stopped just after I shut the engine off. Surely the engine was on it's optimal temperature after 2-3 hours of non-stop driving.
After this I decided to check the aux. heater every time before shutting off the engine - no matter what was the outside temperature or the coolant temp, the aux. heater was working together with the engine - I'm sure about that because when I put my hand behind it's small exhaust I could feel the hot smoke coming from it. Then I realized that maybe this is the reason for my bad mileage on highway.

I took a VAG-COM cable from a friend of mine and decided to run a diagnostics to check for any problems. The only fault I had was:
Address 18: Aux. Heat Labels: 7M3-815-071.clb
Part No: 7M3 815 071 D
Component: HEIZG. B/D5W 0001
VCID: 3169F34FFBDC81962BD-5072

1 Fault Found:
01407 - Flame Extinguished
35-00 - -

But after I cleared the fault it never appeared again, but the aux. heater is still working all the time. I also checked the readings of the module and everything was ok - all the values were correct, including outside temp, coolant temp etc.

Any suggestions? So far the only solution I could think of is to remove the fuse for the auxiliary heater, but I don't even know which one it is :) Please help.

estilian

TDI
VW Sharan 1.9 TDi 2002, 116hp

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you can't figure it out just put in a switch. Turn it off when you don't need it. Easy.

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
you could have a bad thermostat and auxilary heater will run alomst the whole time we had the same problem on a 2005 VW multivan 2.5TDI PD and the thermostat was bad the gauge showed 90°C but with VCDS i could see that it only got up to around 80°C so we replace the thermostat and auxilary heater now works like it should.