mk6 tdi jetta tire size

vwcruising

TDI
2013 jetta
Hi everyone, just had a quick question regarding my jetta. i recently was given a set of free winter tires from a friend size 225/60 r16 and i was wondering if these would fit without rubbing. the car is completely stock and not lowered. the car is also currently running 225/40 r17 tires with no problems, but i was just worried if the extra height would be too much.

thanks!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Look up any tire guide. Your 17" wheels and tires are 612 mm. The snow tires on 16" rims are 676. This leaves a difference of 64 mm. Divide that by 2 and you have 32 mm. If you think it's close find the biggest socket that will fit inside a 32mm socket and run it around the tires at all angles. I'm sure others will chime in if this is an unsound practice or my math is off.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It will be quite a swing. You are going from 3% under ideal diameter to 6.6% over ideal. Will it fit? Probably. Your speedo will show 3-4% slower than actual, and the odo will show 6.6% lower than actual, as odometers seem to be right on while speedos seem to show 3-4% over actual.

So if you don't mind the obvious instrumentation errors, and the bolt circle fits (your wheels or is the friend providing those as well?), then you are golden.

Cheers,

PH