Tdi Ranger

83stang

TDI
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
Was away for the weekend so i'm getting back to you guys now.
It's from a 99 4.0L V6. I wanted the 4.0 flywheel because of the bigger clutch.
Ya it defiantly has 10mm bolts I measured with my vernier.

I got the VW flywheel drawing from this thread:
http://www.yotatech.com/f162/vw-diesel-build-up-135203/

Ya this bolt pattern is tiny and if i was going to redrill it i would have to do more modification then i would like to, too the flywheel, maybe compromising it's strength.
If someone has a corrected VW flywheel bolt pattern or if someone can tell me the 4 cylinder has a bigger bolt pattern making it easier to modify that would be awesome.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The 4cyl bolt pattern is very close- the pattern diameter might be identical. Looks like you can simply redrill without any other modification.

83stang

TDI
Ok so then tomorrow i'll call the wrecker and exchange the flywheels. They show on their site they have a 1998 4cyl flywheel in stock. Thanks a lot guys.

I would just not feel comfortable modifying the 4.0 v6 because of how small and different it is.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Do the 2.3L turbo Mustangs utilize the same flywheel/clutch? If so, then one shouldn't have trouble finding a clutch to hold TDI torque.

83stang

TDI
I'm pretty sure the turbo flywheel is the same pattern. Because people swap the turbo flywheel onto the regular 2.3 and vice versa. Plus that motor remained virtually unchanged from 1979 until 2003 when they switched to the duratec engine. The M5OD trannys been used from 93 till now according to the ranger station tech section. So lots of ranger stuff is interchangeable which is awesome. I was looking up clutches and you can buy a pretty reasonably priced heavy duty clutch for the 2.3's so i don't think power is a huge issue. If the stock clutch slips I'll just buy a performance one.

I went to exchange the flywheel today and I guess the one they pulled out of the truck was heavily damaged so off to look for another one.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
If I can remeber 4 years ago, I'm remembering just elongating a couple of holes. I can pull it out and snap a few pics if you want. I don't think i had to enlarge the other holes. The pain is the pilot bearing. For the life of me I can`t remember where that came from. But i assure you there is a bearing the fits the back of the TDI crank and accepts a M5OD-R1 input shaft.

As for the clutch, it holds no problem, don`t worry about a performance pressure plate or anything.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Well out of curiosity I went and did it. It does appear that i had to tweak all the holes, some barely noticably if any. But as you can see only one a fair bit

Also I'll include a pic of the adapter plate for ****s and giggles

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Extensive Fuel Log

Here is my log of fuel usage/milage/fuel cost since october 2012. Which is when I put the TDI Ranger on my run full time.
Its done monthly because no way I was going to input like 1000 fillups individually.
For some reason the spreadsheet wouldnt calculate properly unless I used a date after the current one. So 2016 = 2012, 2017 = 2013. So pretty much minus 4 years.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Gas Ranger mileage

And for comparison, here is my DOHC 2.3L gas ranger from the months before I started using my diesel one

JetJet

TDI
Jetta TDI
I have a question for you TDI guru's. I am assembling my 2002 Jetta TDI, new pistons, rods, top end rebuild. It blew the timing belt and damaged all the valves. I just finished installing all rods (because I discovered that 2 rods were bent) with good used ones I purchased here on the forum. I also purchase brand new pistons and what I discovered is that the pistons stick out over the block by just a bit. Approximately 1.10 MM
Is that normal? The head gasket is thick and I purchase the new and improved design. Please advice.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hi jetjet. I would recommend you start your own thread on your rebuild and also invest in a repair manual for your car. To answer your question, yes it is normal to have the pistons protrude from the block - this is a critical dimension that must be in spec for all pistons so accuracy of your measurements is important.

JetJet

TDI
Jetta TDI
Thanks greengeeker, I have a manual however is turned out to be worthless.
But I'm looking for a shop manual that covers just my tdi year and model.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
No, I'm not driving that truck anymore. I built another one, my 3rd. The second one went to 1.35 million(altho not with the original ALH). After 7 years in our winters with these roads the body was done. So in may of 2020 I put another one on the road.
Its using the ECU from my last one with a stage 2 and a set of DLC 520s.
I reread some of this post and I should mention that the 2.3L clutch holds the 155ft/lb ALH. It does not hold the malone stage 2, 230ft/lb haha. So the only real difference between them all is the new one has the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and starter from a 4L ranger

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
No, I'm not driving that truck anymore. I built another one, my 3rd. The second one went to 1.35 million(altho not with the original ALH). After 7 years in our winters with these roads the body was done. So in may of 2020 I put another one on the road.
Its using the ECU from my last one with a stage 2 and a set of DLC 520s.
I reread some of this post and I should mention that the 2.3L clutch holds the 155ft/lb ALH. It does not hold the malone stage 2, 230ft/lb haha. So the only real difference between them all is the new one has the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and starter from a 4L ranger
And I can confirm the trans can't hold stage 4 torque :)

3baudios

Veteran Member
TDI
93 eurovan AHU (almost), 88Fummins, 01 alh golf, 91 toyota alh
Is there anything you can do to make one of those M5OD's a bit stronger? I am looking at getting a old ranger to put my ALH in as the MK4 body is a bit rusty and it is just in the drive waiting for something to be put into

aryankee68

TDI
1.9l alh going into a 2.3l 1987 Ranger XLT extracab 2wd 5spd
Is there anything you can do to make one of those M5OD's a bit stronger? I am looking at getting a old ranger to put my ALH in as the MK4 body is a bit rusty and it is just in the drive waiting for something to be put into
Why not just go with a Tremec T5 and never worry about the trans breaking ever again? If you've got that much power a T5 with V6 or V8 gear ratios shouldn't be an issue. I'm considering swapping the 5sp out of my 87 Ranger for T5 to make my build easier.