Jax NC to Murphy Nc

animal1963

TDI
1999.0 jetta TDI
Drove from jacksonville NC west to Murphy NC, I have a camper west of Murphy. Left Fri at 3 after daughter got out of school,, Long drivr in heavy traffic,, est 42 MPG to my camper wich is 500 miles from door to door. While there went to Blue Ridge Ga and later up to Athens TN, Drive my 99.1 Jetta in the mountains is a blast. On the way back stopped at WCU to see my daughter in college. return trip I est 50MPG. light traffic and good weather,, did notice at 80 mph alot of the vibration (normal) goes away,,

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Drove from jacksonville NC west to Murphy NC, I have a camper west of Murphy. Left Fri at 3 after daughter got out of school,, Long drivr in heavy traffic,, est 42 MPG to my camper wich is 500 miles from door to door. While there went to Blue Ridge Ga and later up to Athens TN, Drive my 99.1 Jetta in the mountains is a blast. On the way back stopped at WCU to see my daughter in college. return trip I est 50MPG. light traffic and good weather,, did notice at 80 mph alot of the vibration (normal) goes away,,
__. Yeah, that's a nice trip but it sure is hard to hit Raleigh-Durham-Greensboro-Winston without a lot of traffic. Just don't get the idea that since you get to Asheville and you're ready to get of I-40 that you're getting near! It's a long way on those little roads through the mountains from Asheville to Murphy (I go to Brasstown but it's about the same thing).

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
__. Yeah, that's a nice trip but it sure is hard to hit Raleigh-Durham-Greensboro-Winston without a lot of traffic. Just don't get the idea that since you get to Asheville and you're ready to get of I-40 that you're getting near! It's a long way on those little roads through the mountains from Asheville to Murphy (I go to Brasstown but it's about the same thing).
I'm actually planning a trip, tentatively scheduled for late May or early June, minus the camping. Not really planning it, but the general idea is something like leave work at 5PM on a Wednesday, spend the night some where up around morganton or hickory, and then spend thu/fri/sat terrorzing (legally, of course...) the "famous" backroads up along the NC/TN border (Tail of the Dragon, Cherahola, Rt 28, etc).