Air Bag Fault

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Went to a new no-touch car wash today and as soon as I drove out of the car wash my air bag warning light came on and stayed on in spite of several start stop cycles. As soon as I got home I checked the fault code with my VCDS and came up with R side air bag igniter intermittent implausible signal. I cancelled the code and it hasn't come back so far. First time for an air bag fault in 3+ years and nearly 50K miles. Anyone else experienced this and should I be concerned or just stay out of that car wash?

*ME

TDI
2012 Jetta
I'll (it will) Be Back!

My car did the same thing. I had the code cleared but it returned after about a week.

ttaver

TDI
2006 Jetta
I was told there are is a conector on the seats and installing hard splices will correct the intermittant problem. From my experirence, the driver side is $800 plus to change with the harness.
If your problem continues, you'll have to replace it. Your local dealer should be aware of this.

TTAVER

Sundowner

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I went through this, too. same connector under the seat went defective and my air bag light kept coming back on. First time back to the dealer they reset the codes, second time back they said they couldn't find the problem, third time back I told them they were buying the car back if they couldn't fix it, and then it magically got fixed by repalcing the connector under the seat. Always check the connectors first. Iv'e had four (4) poorly assembled connectors in the car already.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
I went through this, too. same connector under the seat went defective and my air bag light kept coming back on. First time back to the dealer they reset the codes, second time back they said they couldn't find the problem, third time back I told them they were buying the car back if they couldn't fix it, and then it magically got fixed by repalcing the connector under the seat. Always check the connectors first. Iv'e had four (4) poorly assembled connectors in the car already.
Thanks for that and that is a good thing to know as I did move the seat to vacuum at the carwash and that had more to do with the light coming on than the actual car wash.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI

FJG

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
I had the airbag light come on. Dealer wanted big $$$, just several weeks out of warranty! I did the factory repair (remove connectors under seats, splice/solder) and cleared the fault with VAG-COM. It's been trouble free since!

Hank101

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sedan
I had the airbag light come on. Dealer wanted big $$$, just several weeks out of warranty! I did the factory repair (remove connectors under seats, splice/solder) and cleared the fault with VAG-COM. It's been trouble free since!

OK, I have the same issue, and lifted the passengers seat, and can not ID the correct plug/wires to bypass - the photo in the tech bulletin is not very clear.

Anyway, I could use a little assistance before making a mistake:

Is it the yellow plug to be bypassed?
What color are the wires?
How many wires?

Thanks.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, I have the same issue, and lifted the passengers seat, and can not ID the correct plug/wires to bypass - the photo in the tech bulletin is not very clear.
There is the pressure / weight sense contraption in the seat pan. That harness has 5 or 10 wires in it. The weight sense harness then separates out 3 pins for the side seat bolster air bag. THAT 3 pin plug is what gets replaced with soldering / crimping wires.

Tony

lightflood

TDI
2010 jetta dsg
I have an 09 jetta with the light on as well. I agree with Hank 101. I think the wiring must be different on an 09 up. It appears the side airbag wiring continues straight into the hole in the floor where there are 3 different couplings. I bet the coupling has been moved to there from the area described near the seat pan. I'm thinking about splicing it there . The couplings are on clip holders. Has anyone had an issue with the couplings I'm describing?

Hank101

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sedan
I have an 09 jetta with the light on as well. I agree with Hank 101. I think the wiring must be different on an 09 up. It appears the side airbag wiring continues straight into the hole in the floor where there are 3 different couplings. I bet the coupling has been moved to there from the area described near the seat pan. I'm thinking about splicing it there . The couplings are on clip holders. Has anyone had an issue with the couplings I'm describing?
Lightflood, please keep us informed - I will gladly follow your lead :D
I started to tackle the job but quickly became intimidated by the numerous wires and plugs. I could picture myself activating an air bag and getting tossed across the room.

I spoke with my local VW service department and they said that it (air bag/system) is no longer under warranty (>40K), no knowledge of a TSB, and that it could be fairly expensive.

Last edited:

lightflood

TDI
2010 jetta dsg
I have both seats loose. I'm going to eliminate the yellow couplings with 3 wires on both sides. Problem is that I don't yet have vag-com to clear the codes. Does anyone know if the light would go out if I fix the problem?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not on the airbag controller. vcds is necessary to reset the controller.

Tony

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
This is weird.
All these airbag faults going out at the same time.
'Tis the season'.
Ours went on today !!!!

My 6-2006 Jetta has just over 22k miles; so the 'magic' mileage, nor time, has expired.

Would a dealer call be the solution? Seems that others in the thread link of 2007 indicated good response from their dealers for this.

No activity other than my big butt being on the seat for these 4 years.
Thanks

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
See if there is a vag-com user near you that can read the codes and help troubleshoot it; there's a sticky at the top of tdi101.

Tony

donbjetta06

TDI
2006 White Auto Jetta
Airbag Fault concern

Hello,

I am relatively new to the VW/Jetta world but am trying to get up to speed as quickly as I can. Our vehicle is a 2006 BRM TDI with approx 95K. Recently, about a week ago, the airbag fault light illuminated and has yet to extinguish. In reviewing the very helpful posts on this site I would that the seat sensors may be to blame but I have no way to confirm as the OBD2 scanners from the local auto shops will only read engine related codes; I tried this approach first and there were no codes listed. Due to this issue, and the approaching need to verify cam timing prior to replacing the timing belt/water pump and related parts, I have ordered the Ross-Tech VAG-COM HEX-USB-CAN to retrieve the fault codes but unfortunately I do not believe the tool be arrive in time identify the fault and resolve/repair the car before my family (Wife and boys), depart on a road trip to Chicago, approx 1500mi r-trip. Long story short, in the event of the unthinkable, will the airbags activate/deploy with the fault light illuminated; will the fault logic deactivate the entire system when the fault light is set or only the parts of the system associated with the fault?
Also, I am planning to perform the TSB 6906-5 associated with airbag fault codes 01217 and 01218 as preventative maintenance. If the issues addressed in this TSD are responsible for the fault will the fault light extinguish following repair or will the fault code need to be reset via the VAG-COM devise?

Sorry for the long winded post, I am concerned about the up-coming family trip and want to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks,
Don

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The airbags may or may not deploy. That's why the light is on.

No need to check timing before changing the timing belt. BTW...you may be about 15k miles beyond the factory belt life. VW has gone back and forth on when it is due, and finally settled on 80K.
You will need to set the timing (torsion in VCDS) after the timing belt is done. Well, actually at part of the TB change.

Tony

delliott777

TDI
2003 Jetta
is there a fuse for the airbags? my light came on when the alternator was pushing too much voltage.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
is there a fuse for the airbags? my light came on when the alternator was pushing too much voltage.
Yes, there is likely a fuse. However, it is likely to be intact. It is possible the controller saw too much voltage and set a code. But I'll bet it has an internal regulator to protect itself.

I would scan it with VCDS and see what the code is. If you don't have VCDS, there is a sticky at the top of TDI101, where you are likely to find someone close to you that would be willing the help scan the controller for you.

Tony

delliott777

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming the VCDS is a different tool than the OBDII? Scanned with OBDII at Orielly's and didn't say anything about the air bags. Cleared a Glow plug code and naturally airbag light is still on. I'll check the sticky. Thanks!

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VCDS doesn't even compare to a generic OBDII scanner. VCDS lets you do what even the factory scan tool can't!

Check out the sticky.

Tony

delliott777

TDI
2003 Jetta
The sticky called "trusted tdi mechanics by state"?

is a VCDS expensive? how can i find out about it?

im a newbie, thanks.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
The sticky called "trusted tdi mechanics by state"?

is a VCDS expensive? how can i find out about it?

im a newbie, thanks.
VCDS is mfg, sold and supported by Ross-Tech, price varies for the data link cable or 'dongle' according to model and capability. Software, ebook manual, ongoing upgrades and support comes with the cable. I chose the hex+can-usb @ $349 as it was the most versatile being compatible with the latest models years as well as being backward compatible for older models. Check out their web site.
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=VAGCOM

Also note, once the airbag fault lights you need to access the airbag module to cancel the fault code which you can't do with an OBD scanner. Mine came on after I went to a car wash and vacuumed the interior of the car. If I would have had to go to a dealer as a result it probably would have cost me several hundred dollars. If I add having been able to turn off my daytime running lights, program my convenience feature to open and close my power windows with the remote, change my service interval reminder from 5K to 10K (which the dealer is supposed to do after the first service) and to recode my speedometer to correct the indicated speed error, it has paid for itself many times over.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Another intermitent airbag fault

My light came on this week, and for a couple days would whine on the visual display, ding at me after starting, and distract me with the warning light on the dash

a couple minutes with the VCDS located record of an intermitent drivers seat fault, which I reset and so far so good.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
My airbag light popped on last night, so I made an appointment with the dealer since it's still under warranty. This way, they can also fix the hood insulator that keeps falling down over the particulate filter.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was the airbag sensor in the driver's door that was bad. Luckily, it was in stock.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, here it is a month later and the airbag light is back on. When I get a chance tomorrow, I'll scan it and make another appointment at the dealer. With all the other BS, this car is starting to get under my skin.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
My 2005.5 started with an intermittant 01218 which cleared but returned and would not clear. I cut the 3 wire connector under the passenger seat as the TSB shows, the fault cleared, the hardest part was removing the seat, I got them out by using a torx bit, never seen a bolt like that. The TSB said you could solder the wires, but I don't think there's enough slack wire to do that, I used splice bars.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
farfrumsanity,
I soldered the wires in my Jetta; pleny of length.

Tony