Sound System Issue

jjohns72

TDI
2006 pkg 1 5sp
I have noticed that every blue moon when listening to a CD on my 06.5 Jetta TDI I will hear a extra dose of bass and then after a few seconds it goes away. I supposedly have the enhanced audio package that the stealerships have been peddling which I believe cost me an extra 500 give or take. I dont know what makes it different than the standard soundsystem but I think it MAY have an additional amp. I am wondering if there may be a loose connection on that AMP and if the conditions are just right the amp kicks on for a split second and puts out more bass? Doesnt get any louder, just more bass. This is a pkg 1 car and I usually keep the bass setting half way or a little less. Any ideas?

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
My 06 does the same thing. the dose of bass is how it is supposed to sound, but I did just discover that if you turn the Mid all the way down it sounds alot better. BTW my car has been to the Dealer twice for this issue the first time they replaced the radio and it sounded better for about a week before it went back to having bass mabye twice a month for all of 20 secconds tops.

Last edited:

wildslag

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, 5-speed, pkg 1, blue
It's the snoop doggy dog cd's guys, boom boooooom!

Really though, is it happening right at 40 or 60 mph? Coz that's just the speed sensitive volume kicking in. Can be quite abrupt if you've got the stereo up too loud. I hope that's all it is for you, but it sounds like it may be something else.

You could try turning off, or down, then speed sensitive volume and see what gives.

k_lou

TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Actually it happens when I am slowing down coming to a stop the bass just kicks up for a few seconds then back down

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
k_lou said:
Actually it happens when I am slowing down coming to a stop the bass just kicks up for a few seconds then back down
I have the same exact thing! Goes away if I adjust the volume up or down. Does it once in a blue moon as others have suggested....hasn't bothered me enough to investigate yet...maybe some issue with the speed sensative settings?

jjohns72

TDI
2006 pkg 1 5sp
k_lou said:
Yep, this is usually the situation when I notice it. Thats what led me to believe there is a faulty connection somewhere and slowing down maybe jars it for a second. Its not a huge deal as the sterero sounds fine but when this quick moment of bass comes in its like wow! I wish I could get it full time!! I could always take it to the dealership but Im not sure I want to deal with all the run around that always happens when trying to get something fixed there. Sounds like it is a common issue, anybody had any luck on fixing this permenant on their own?

HEMIHD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta PD TDI
I recently noticed the same thing with mine. Nothing for 12 months, then twice in a month

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
jjohns72 said:
I have noticed that every blue moon when listening to a CD on my 06.5 Jetta TDI I will hear a extra dose of bass and then after a few seconds it goes away. I supposedly have the enhanced audio package that the stealerships have been peddling which I believe cost me an extra 500 give or take. I dont know what makes it different than the standard soundsystem but I think it MAY have an additional amp. I am wondering if there may be a loose connection on that AMP and if the conditions are just right the amp kicks on for a split second and puts out more bass? Doesnt get any louder, just more bass. This is a pkg 1 car and I usually keep the bass setting half way or a little less. Any ideas?
Here is one that I will tackle. Probably should be in the FAQ/DIY section.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176218

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
I have this exact same problem. I noticed it right after the Stealership did the fix for the "No Sat Radio".

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
It happens on my pkg 1 2006 jetta as well. I'm voting it's a software glitch in the speed sensitive volume control.

Or it could just be planned that way; No bass means no speaker rattle which means less warrentee work.

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
I can honestly say I noticed it again today while pulling out of my devolpment inbetween the speeds of 10 - 15 mph.

I don't think its speed related, but I could be wrong.

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
jjohns72 said:
Mine does the same thing.
Thanks for this post as I thought it was my 1600 watt third party amp that was doing it.. guess not...
Is there any recall on the radios for this issue?

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
wildslag said:
It's the snoop doggy dog cd's guys, boom boooooom!

Really though, is it happening right at 40 or 60 mph? Coz that's just the speed sensitive volume kicking in. Can be quite abrupt if you've got the stereo up too loud. I hope that's all it is for you, but it sounds like it may be something else.

You could try turning off, or down, then speed sensitive volume and see what gives.
It is not that.
I have my speed sensitive completely off..
Its not the volume increasing...it is the bass..

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Eric Cartman said:
It is not that.
I have my speed sensitive completely off..
Its not the volume increasing...it is the bass..
Play some vintage Albert King, the BASS lines are fairly constant.
(Damn good blues, the best ever...)