Possible fuel pump "confirmed kill" with a 96 tdi

ybiofuels

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver Jetta wagon
Possible fuel pump \"confirmed kill\" with a 96 tdi

One of our customers drives a 96 Passat with around 100K miles on it. She recently used substandard fuel (not from us) that clogged her filter. Sounded like a problem of glycerin/feedstock in the fuel. When her mechanic took a look, he noticed a leak from the fuel pump as well. He is adamant that the pump needs to be replaced. I've never heard of biodiesel causing a fuel pump to need to be replaced, even with old Mercedes. Anyone able to help me with this? My current thinking is that it must have had a rubber seal, and I guess that would be enough to do it in. That and wear, maybe. I need some other opinions...

Dropout

Could it be that the plugged filter caused the front seal to run dry? That would take out a seal very quickly. Dry seals will actually wear a groove in a steel shaft.

Dropout

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....

Its not uncommon for theses ealier pumps to leak at the Quantity Adjuster housing (the rectangular "block" on the top front with all the wires leading to it). This leakage is NOT related to BD...it happens with petro diesel as easily as with BD. It seems to result from allowing the car to sit for long periods undriven.

If this is where the pump is leaking, her mechanic need not replace the pump; it can be repaired, but requires a special procedure which is not well known or documented (i.e., its a little more than a straightforward seal replacement). Repair details are on this site.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta

Ditto!!!!
Chris Bell is correct. I've read of several pump leaks with diesel too. Mine started leaking right after I switched to WVO, so guess what I blaimed? The gasket shrank to 2/3 original size. Same as described by Chris.

I've had a fip gasket sitting in a jar of wvo for 14 months and it's like new. BD is known for swelling, not shrinking gaskets.

I was in the same predicament, but the helpfull TDI'ers got me the tools and gasket set and I fixed it myself. Details
at : http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html search for 'leaking' There are relev. threads here too, but I think I have more, all in one place.

Unfor., the main body gasket went too, a month later. I replaced that too, but it wasn't easy. Altho' I didn't have to re-time the pump, and all's well 14 months later.

There is a third gasket which goes too. That one requires full removal. IMO, if the top cover is leaking, just try to replace it alone. If the other two are leaking, have it sent out for a rebuild.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....

I recommend replacing both the upper and lower Quantity Adjuster housing seals even if only one of them is leaking. A competent mechanic with a VAG-COM can replace the lower one with some preparation beforehand. Pump timing does not need to be adjusted after seal replacement, but injection quantity does.

ybiofuels

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver Jetta wagon

Thanks everyone. I let the customer, and her mechanic, know about this thread. You all have never let me down.