Water Methanol injection on a TDI?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
devonutopia said:
I don't want water going through my turbo as I think the risk of corrosion is worse than the possible cleaning benefit. :)

PS: This thread is a great discussion, so people rate it 5*!! Sad to see someone rated it 1*....

Edit: THIS is more like the price I want to pay for methanol, but going to Manchester to get it is a pain!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Virgin-Methanol-bio-diesel-99-95-purity-205L_W0QQitemZ330253970200QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330253970200

Ooops now that's cheap!!...........its a pitty they won't post it but seriously i bet it be hard to find a courier to deliver it.

Last edited:

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
No it's not!!!

48.3p customs duty / litre if you want to use it for racing & they check to ensure you're not.

AAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
All eBay clients note: This grade of methanol is not designated by Customs & Excise for any racing, power generation or heating applications. We reserve the right to refuse collection in circumstances where we are not convinced the material is consumed for bio-diesel manufacture. A disclaimer must be signed to this effect, policies are in place to prevent drag or motor cycle racing persons from purchasing material unless duty is paid at the rate of 48.3p per L + VAT. Customs & Excise policy has NOT changed and duty is payable for all racing application without exception.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Thats whats great about this forum!~!!!!!!!!!

We can talk about both sides and usually dont get slammed too bad..

I am pro WI, JUST WANT every one to know what they are getting into, and what to expect.

Yes water is going through your turbo everyday/everytime, the humidity..

There have been studies done about pre-turbo WI..Its safe..that why he was talking ultra-sonic.

Dang, this is a great country/world.

dvldoc

Vendor
TDI
Spacegear
20vK said:
.....would be if I could find some cheap methanol!!!!!
Give our dealer in England a buzz I'm sure he can tell you some sources.

Bruce Morris
6 Charles st
Salisbury, Wilts
SP2 7AW
England
+441722333719

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
superb! - round the corner from my warehouse! Will give him a shout tomorrow

Thanks for that!

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
20vK said:
superb! - round the corner from my warehouse! Will give him a shout tomorrow

Thanks for that!
You can send me some up north i've just bought loads of tonic from Waitrose.......:D

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
regarding the ebay seller not selling unless it's not for racing purposes, can you not just lie to them? all you need to do is find out what else people do with 45gal of meth and tell them that.........

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
had considererd that myself.

Just need to become a biodiesel expert!!

Although in my case I'd be after 180 gallons at that price!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Are there any down in Devon at all? :D

I never realised that methanol used in water injection would need to have duty paid. In my opinion it's not really a fuel, but I guess when you look a little closer it IS indeed a type of fuel. It's going nowhere near my fuel tank though.

The kit is already to be fitted tomorrow. Need to do some jigging about in the engine bay to make room though - that should be fun....

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
devonutopia said:
Are there any down in Devon at all? :D

I never realised that methanol used in water injection would need to have duty paid. In my opinion it's not really a fuel, but I guess when you look a little closer it IS indeed a type of fuel. It's going nowhere near my fuel tank though.

The kit is already to be fitted tomorrow. Need to do some jigging about in the engine bay to make room though - that should be fun....
I think technically it should be considered an additive.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Well, after spending an hour googling, I'm none the wiser. It seems lots of people just use windscreen concentrate, but I don't fancy that to be honest. Have emailed a couple of places that deliver and hoping for a reply back asap. Initial testing tomorrow is going to be water only. :)

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
devonutopia said:
Well, after spending an hour googling, I'm none the wiser. It seems lots of people just use windscreen concentrate, but I don't fancy that to be honest. Have emailed a couple of places that deliver and hoping for a reply back asap. Initial testing tomorrow is going to be water only. :)
What is it about washer fluid you don't like?

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
devonutopia said:
Do you not have denatured alcohol at local hardware stores? Or some place similar?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Am getting closer to some methanol now. Thanks for everyone's input. Sometimes the sources just seem to fall into your lap (not literally in this case....)

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I am trying to decide which nozzles will work better with TDI

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
MAXRPM said:
From early experimenting, I think 3 gallons per hour is sufficient to start with. Can always upgrade, but start with too much and break something.... Well, you can downgrade nozzles once the engine has been rebuilt. :D

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
The 175ml/min and 225 nozzles from Snow are a good start. The next step up, 375 is almost twice the flow of a 225. The 375 does not quench running a 26psi tune. 8psi start, full on at 26psi.

MAXRPM said:

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
FYI

225 ml/min is roughly 3.5 gal/hr

375 ml/min, about 5.9 gal/hr

The 375 wide open for 20min will use roughly 7.5 liters.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
DbLog said:
The 375 wide open for 20min will use roughly 7.5 liters.
When said like that, it's amazing a TDI engine will munch that amount of H2O, but on full whack and over time, it's perfectly plausible. :)

A 375 nozzle will be my next upgrade if I find that the 225 one just isn't quite doing the trick. As I'm aiming for 300 (flywheel) bhp I'm thinking the 375 one might be useful.