Why is my car jerking?

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
So I've had my 2012 jetta sportwagen for a little over a month now and twice I've noticed when I first start up the car and drive it jerks forward at low speeds. Anyone know why it's doing this? The first time was last week at around 8 a.m. it was about 57 degrees outside and today it was around 3 p.m. and it was 77 degrees outside and I was going about 25. It's my first diesel and wondering if it'd normal.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
DSG? Going up hill in a low gear? You need to give us a bit more details. The jerking or surging could result from a multitude of different situations.

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
^^ Agreed a little more detail would be helpful.

That said, I have a 2012 JSW with the DSG, and had an awful problem with it starting about 3-4 weeks after I got it, and lasting for about 4 weeks until I took it to the dealership.

My scenario was after a cold start I would drive through the parking lot at work at about 5-7mph with constant accelerator position, and the car would start to buck until I got completely off the accelerator, came to a stop, then started again. This happened about 50-75% of the time, and would often recur after the stop/start routine. It didn't feel like an engine problem to me, though I couldn't say for sure. During this time the weather was moderate - 70ish degrees.

When I took it to the dealership and described the problem, the tech said the best thing for him to do was reset the gearbox (no software update was applicable to my vehicle). He did this and I haven't had any problems since.

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Oh sorry yes it is a DSG and no on the going up hill. It has been flat land. I'm in Southern CA so I don't think the weather should be a problem it was 77 degrees today. If i keep my foot on the gas and keep at the low speed it continues to jerk until I let go of the gas. So strange might need to take it in blah.

DSG? Going up hill in a low gear? You need to give us a bit more details. The jerking or surging could result from a multitude of different situations.

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Mine does it since new. Dealer did nothing. Pop it into sport mode for the first couple of minutes if it bothers you.

Interesting that it didn't do it much over the winter, but came back as soon as it warmed up in the last few weeks. I just give it some juice and it's gone.

Last edited:

superbutta808

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6sp MT
my 2011 Golf 6MT does the same thing in 1st gear from a standstill, usually when cold. Totally intermittent, totally unpredictable. It also bucks in third under mild acceleration. Again, totally intermittent and totally unpredictable. Dealer says no codes have been thrown and the computer is upto date. ***?!?!

This damn engine has so many sensors and power output is basically 100% computer controlled...I can't effectively troubleshoot the problem. I don't feel confident that this motor will last as long as my 94' toyota. It's too over engineered for it's own good.

Feels like a fuel control problem. I'm pissed!

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I had it do this yesterday. My guess is that it's the DSG as it felt like when I'm driving manual and it doesn't have enough fuel and "lugs" the engine. It seemed to be better about it since the DSG update, but now I'm not sure!

Note that we've only noticed it going slow around a corner, I guess.

sledstorm1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Tdi 4dr 6mt
My car is also a 6mt. And it jurks every morning going to work. I have heard it an emissions thing. The exhaust valve is cycling to create back pressure to make the emissions components in the exhaust heat up faster. A friend of mine with a 09 Jetta had a update flashed to his ecu that helped with this. I don't know if there is an update for our cars.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
my 2011 Golf 6MT does the same thing in 1st gear from a standstill, usually when cold. Totally intermittent, totally unpredictable. It also bucks in third under mild acceleration. Again, totally intermittent and totally unpredictable. Dealer says no codes have been thrown and the computer is upto date. ***?!?!

This damn engine has so many sensors and power output is basically 100% computer controlled...I can't effectively troubleshoot the problem. I don't feel confident that this motor will last as long as my 94' toyota. It's too over engineered for it's own good.

New engines just keep getting more and more complicated. Electronics are what controll everything and to make it worse.....................people now want electronics to controll everything for them.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I read somewhere its something to do with the EGR valve. I'm not really sure but I can tell you that it seems to smooth itself out after you get more miles on it. I have 15000 on mine and I hardly notice it anymore.

Or maybe I just got used to it.:rolleyes:

GrayWagen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Rev the Engine

If I don't rev the engine, I get the same thing. Somewhere on this site are guidelines for warming up the car. Here's what I do:

After start, while still in park, press the accelerator to the floor for a few seconds. Usually, this warms the car up.

If I get some jerkiness once moving, I then floor it and push the RPMs to around 4,200. Once I have done this, I never have the jerking again.

Sorry I don't have the link for the guidelines.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Wasn't there are recall or a TSB on these DSG tranny's ? I know mine had a recall to flash the computer with an update to fix this problem. Not sure on the 2012's.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=337000&highlight=DSG+recall

Above is a thread from 2011. Looks like it was a TSB and harder than pulling hens teeth to get some dealers to do it.

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Mine does the same thing (2011 JSW DSG). As it seems to happen also with the 6M, I think it is the fuel/emissions system. The fuel mapping algorithyms in this engine are looking at 26 different sensors, and at startup/first drive, probably more are being considered than at any other time driving. I think it is a software issue that may or may not be correctable without compromising performance in another area.

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Well thanks everyon that posted I guess I'm not alone. I'll just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse then I'll take it in. I've only got about 1,000 miles on it so far.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Lucihala, as many have said here before, if everyone experiences it, it's not a problem, it's a "feature"!!!

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT

I have a 6mt and have the exact issue. Didn't even mention it to the dealer because I knew they would be no help because no cel light appeared.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
My car is also a 6mt. And it jurks every morning going to work.
If I don't rev the engine, I get the same thing. Somewhere on this site are guidelines for warming up the car. Here's what I do:

After start, while still in park, press the accelerator to the floor for a few seconds. Usually, this warms the car up.

If I get some jerkiness once moving, I then floor it and push the RPMs to around 4,200. Once I have done this, I never have the jerking again.

That jerking is because the engine is lugging; too low an RPM in a tall gear. Particularly bad juju for your engine rings, connecting rods, bearings, and other components especially if the engine is cold.

Don't lug your motor; run it in a smaller gear until you're up to operating temps. When I start my car in the morning, I usually wind it up to 2500 RPM in first, second, and 3rd gear but no more than 3000 RPM until the engine has had the opportunity to warm a little. A good rule of thumb is to keep the engine in the meaty portion of its powerband when cold, which is right around 2k RPM.

It's equally as bad to "press the accelerator to the floor" on a cold engine with no load as the oil hasn't had time to reach proper viscosity and temperature. You'll end up causing unintended wear which could result in increased oil consumption, low compression, etc. etc. Just start and drive while keeping RPM around 2000-2500 RPM until the temp gauge reaches 1/4 or so.

Last edited:

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Thank you that was very helpful. :)

That jerking is because the engine is lugging; too low an RPM in a tall gear. Particularly bad juju for your engine rings, connecting rods, bearings, and other components especially if the engine is cold.

Don't lug your motor; run it in a smaller gear until you're up to operating temps. When I start my car in the morning, I usually wind it up to 2500 RPM in first, second, and 3rd gear but no more than 3000 RPM until the engine has had the opportunity to warm a little. A good rule of thumb is to keep the engine in the meaty portion of its powerband when cold, which is right around 2k RPM.

It's equally as bad to "press the accelerator to the floor" on a cold engine with no load as the oil hasn't had time to reach proper viscosity and temperature. You'll end up causing unintended wear which could result in increased oil consumption, low compression, etc. etc. Just start and drive while keeping RPM around 2000-2500 RPM until the temp gauge reaches 1/4 or so.

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Thank you. :)

Sergeant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (Sold)
As others have said, this is a flaw in VW design. It's especially bad with the DSG where you have less control over what gear you are in. Generally when I know I'm going to be driving under 25 mph while using the brake, I'll switch into sport mode or Tiptronic and the problems goes away with the higher RPM before a gear change. If you are in D you really have to feather the pedal in parking lots.

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
I haven'y even tried it in sport mode. I'm girl and don't know how to use it.:eek: When I had my Ford Flex Ecoboost I never even used the paddles it had.

As others have said, this is a flaw in VW design. It's especially bad with the DSG where you have less control over what gear you are in. Generally when I know I'm going to be driving under 25 mph while using the brake, I'll switch into sport mode or Tiptronic and the problems goes away with the higher RPM before a gear change. If you are in D you really have to feather the pedal in parking lots.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano

This is some of the WORST advice I have read on here.

Lucihala please don't follow that - what amstel78 wrote is good. I do the same thing. This might be a useful thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

About break-in but talks about how to drive when cold which is what amstel78 suggested. However in that article it says let the DSG pick the best gear - on warm-up (and overall) I feel the DSG shifts too soon and goes to the next highest gear as possible, thus lugging the engine - again as amstel78 wrote. Sometimes best to be in sport or tiptronic - usually put it in tiptronic and upshot once RPMS hit 2300 or so - by the time it shifts RPMs usually have climbed to 2500 or so.

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Oh boy thanks for the heads up. Heading over to the link you provided thank you.

This is some of the WORST advice I have read on here.

Lucihala please don't follow that - what amstel78 wrote is good. I do the same thing. This might be a useful thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

About break-in but talks about how to drive when cold which is what amstel78 suggested. However in that article it says let the DSG pick the best gear - on warm-up (and overall) I feel the DSG shifts too soon and goes to the next highest gear as possible, thus lugging the engine - again as amstel78 wrote. Sometimes best to be in sport or tiptronic - usually put it in tiptronic and upshot once RPMS hit 2300 or so - by the time it shifts RPMs usually have climbed to 2500 or so.

blackflagmn

TDI
2012 Golf TDi with tech package
I currently have my Golf in the dealership to look at this same issue. I'm guessing they are going to tell me they can't find anything wrong since no codes were present. I actually had the car stall once last week(I have 2012 Golf TDI DSG) which is what prompted this service visit. I was pulling out of my work parking lot, stopped to check for traffic at the lot exit, and the car stalled. When I started it up, it sounded much noisier than usual and ran rough for a few seconds. I've noticed the jerking a few times during the week prior to that incident. Mostly in parking lot speed situations, but a few times even at side street speeds (25-30mph). I think there may be an issue of sensor calibration not deciding if the pedal is pressed or not, and therefore applying fuel and engine breaking alternately, causing the jerking..similar to when you have a manual and you go from applying fuel to not applying fuel with the clutch engaged.

Anyhow, I'm guessing the driving in sport mode around town will perhaps remedy this issue because of how sport mode works, but I haven't driven mine enough yet to know for sure. Sport mode seems to rev too high for around town driving, so maybe I'll just do some manual shifting.

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
We've got two CR TDIs, one DSG, one 6MT. Both jerk when cold, when hot, at low speeds, at high speeds, with different fuels.

I've owned a lot of cars, these two are the worst tuned engine management programs of any car I've had from a smoothness perspective.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
while we are on algorithms and DSG quirks, I noticed today (all in tiptronic) all in 30 minutes of mixed driving that the car would appropriately downshift sometimes when coasting and other times it didn't causing a lugging until I manually downshifted. Also, when coasting (turning on to a different street), twice when I depressed on the accelerator the gears were not engaged and the RPMs revved up like I was in neutral. Othertimes, it acted appropriately.

What concerns me is that it is intermittent so I am not sure that I can blame it on the programming. Are other folks experiencing this?

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
We've got two CR TDIs, one DSG, one 6MT. Both jerk when cold, when hot, at low speeds, at high speeds, with different fuels.

I've owned a lot of cars, these two are the worst tuned engine management programs of any car I've had from a smoothness perspective.
I don't experience any jerking at all in my 2012 6MT unless I intentionally lug the engine. Have you considered that it may be your driving style to blame rather than the vehicle itself? There's a load limit to what the engine's torque can overcome in a tall gear at low RPM. Out of curiosity, what gear are you in and speed you're travelling when you notice the car bucking?

P0234

Veteran Member
TDI
11 JSW
I don't experience any jerking at all in my 2012 6MT unless I intentionally lug the engine. Have you considered that it may be your driving style to blame rather than the vehicle itself? There's a load limit to what the engine's torque can overcome in a tall gear at low RPM. Out of curiosity, what gear are you in and speed you're travelling when you notice the car bucking?
No actually I haven't considered it is my driving habit when it jerks sometimes under the same load, throttle position, rpm and weather conditions and not others. Have you considered you aren't preceptive enough to notice that the car is poorly calibrated?

I've been driving manual transmission cars since I was 11 or 12 years old, I've raced cars and motorcycles. I've done my own engine management calibrations as well (B5S4 and Corvette). I've also personally owned 35 cars, 33 of which were manual transmission.

I wouldn't consider 1st gear on flat ground at 2500 rpm to be a load issue, would you? How about at 60mph on flat ground in 6th gear?

These cars just occasionally get the hiccups. Do I need to record VCDS output showing gear position, rpm, load, throttle and a G meter and post it up on youtube before you to believe it, are all these posts not enough?